Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Exclamation WEAPON-X "Boost Freeze" Chiller

With a well known name for the best heat exchangers and ancillary cooling mods on the market, we have been working on the next step in cooling for the past year and a half and after testing various combinations, we are finally ready to release our Boost Freeze Chiller! We have developed a complete plug and play system allowing you to tie into your OEM air conditioning system! This is the very first chiller system even available for the gen 6 Camaros, C7 Corvettes, CTS V gen 3s, and the ATS V and we also have the previous gens covered too While this technology is not new, unfortunately to date, chiller kits have always been surrounded by mixed reviews from poorly designed kits with vastly incorrectly sized heat exchanger units, that required the OEM lines and wiring to be cut, brazed, welded, soldered, etc which means you needed someone that specializes in the AC field, and train-wreck forum threads between competing manufacturers bickering, accusations of them copying each other, and on and on. It was apparent that most of these guys were copying someone else's kit as in the end, a lot of consumers couldn't get their kits to work properly and received little support after, resulting in more bad PR for the chiller concept. However, simply put: the proven concept WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL when done properly! To prove this from a neutral source, the highly heralded Dodge Demon has a chiller from the factory, yes factory... we were shocked to see this!

How it works?
A chiller uses the OEM air conditioning system to reach freezing temperatures in the supercharger heat exchanger coolant to remove MORE heat from the compressed boosted air entering the engine, making it denser, allowing for MORE timing, and thus MORE POWER!!! (insert a Tim the Toolman AR AR AR :rofl Now a commonly understood principle is that the cars that run with the AC on lose lots of power during wide open throttle (WOT) for a few reasons, 1 the AMP draw is high, 2 it floods heat into the radiator from the AC hx, and 3 the older units wouldn't destroke themselves when they see this. AC compressors have continued to improve and the one on the LT cars is impressive. Most cars will shut the AC off during WOT for the aforementioned reasons; however, the new ones will actually reduce the stroke on them, not really consuming much power at all. In our testing on an 850whp LT4 Whipple car, we only observed about 20 LB FT of torque down low and and less than 10 WHP up top!

The Benefits
Our kit has a lot of bells and whistles as well and it's plug and play with custom billet fittings we machine in-house. The cabin air conditioning on our kit remains unaffected and still allows you to remain cool inside while your supercharger gets frost bitten too as it includes a cabin diverter valve so you can leave it in 50/50 mode splitting the AC, or put it into 100% HX mode so the supercharger coolant gets all of the BTU capacity to reduce the fluid temps even quicker. The kit also includes a thermostatically controlled valve that bypasses the heat exchanger(s) too because there comes a point when the coolant is below ambient temperature and running it through the aluminum heat exchanger will actually heat up the fluid. Lastly, we an optional have a Bluetooth display that you can adjust your temps and valve with while monitoring just how cold it gets. Consequently, our SPI Kit can also control the Chiller as well.

One of the most unique features of our kit is we have also developed a thermal cooling cell, which needs no ice or anything other than the top secret stuff inside of it LOL.* It serves as two purposes, extra fluid capacity and extra BTU capacity.* As the chilled fluid passes through it after the chiller, it charges the cell and once the fluid starts to heat up from the engine heat transfers that occur over the course of a run where the AC system is taxed by the external heat sources, the fluid is then chilled again by the cell as well to help with longer periods of time.* This really helps the entire system, especially for in times of higher ambient air, longer runs, and other adverse conditions.* A lot of guys have asked about the possibility of running this in road racing, and I didn't want to get into it before we had more product development; however, I do think it is possible on the LT cars.* The main thing that is needed is to insulate all of the lines, fittings, etc and be able to keep the condensation off of the track.* I am very interested in working with a road racer who is savvy when it comes to data logging and being able to provide the necessary data in return.* The kit*

System features
  • Plug and Play hardware for a hassle free installation
  • 100% reversible
  • Requires no tuning changes; however, the PCM calibration can be modified to achieve more power when temps are under a certain threshold (IAT Advance)
  • Insulated chiller unit
  • OEM quality hardware, lines, and fittings
  • Thermostat controlled heat exchanger bypass when temperatures are below ambient
  • Cabin diverter for race mode to channel ALL of the refrigerant to the chiller
  • Bluetooth controller for Temperature monitor and custom programming settings
  • Thermal Cooling cell to store extra BTU capacity
  • Optional WXM Track Attack Heat Exchanger upgrade further more natural cooling

Example
Here is an older version of our Chiller on my 1150whp Gen 6 ZL1. This car is a MONSTER making 1100lbft of torque by 4200 RPMs with an 85mm rear mount turbo pushing through the stock Eaton 1.7L LT4 ported supercharger. It has been an interesting project for sure, we are not spinning the blower crazily at all with a 25% increase, but it's making 14 PSI on the 427 cubic inch LT4 engine as we have MAP sensors at various positions on the kit to log. 14 PSI with only a 25% increase on a 427 with our big valve heads is amazing. All together, the compound boost was around 24 PSI. The air temps coming out of this air to water box with 14 PSI from the turbo, but only 10 PSI after running the length of the car and going through the air to water box was just 46* as it entered the supercharger! So, the more dense air entering the supercharger along with the pushing of that air from the turbo greatly reduced the parasitic loss of the supercharger making the entire system more efficient.

On a test hit I made, the Air Temp post supercharger lobes was 99* at 142 MPH and having gone through 7 gears (10 speed auto). That is astounding at that power level!!

Last edited by WEAPON-X; 08-24-2018 at 11:46 PM.
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
That's pretty awesome. Interested for sure for my Maggie
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I am also interested but more of a custom set up. one of gpro's custom intercooled intakes and a boost chiller set up might be fun to mess with.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Nice, looks like a fine unit - still I assume only for drag racing (no road course) and AC is off @ WOT, correct?

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I am also interested but more of a custom set up. one of gpro's custom intercooled intakes and a boost chiller set up might be fun to mess with.
we're doing that exact setup on an F1X 427 C7 we did
Old 02-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Why isn't this in the market place section?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Nice, looks like a fine unit - still I assume only for drag racing (no road course) and AC is off @ WOT, correct?

-Don
Road course will work as well, especially with a larger trunk tank for additional capacity and we have also been working on a thermal fluid that stores energy in our trunk tanks so they can be charged by the chiller More on that later.

I need to test a ZL1, but the V3 actually leaves it ON in the tune at WOT if I recall and we tested this on our Chiller equipped CTS V3 last summer and even when you commanded it off in the tune, if the AC was on, it was running at WOT still? We turned it off and picked up 20whp on the next pull; however, that's 20 on 875whp for that car, so a minimal loss for cooling on long pulls!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #8
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
How hard is this to install and does the tune need to be adjusted or is it a separate tune for the ciller
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
Camaro Wolf

Drives: 2018 Bright yellow Camaro 2ss
It would be cool if it was stock...
Camaro Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Will this work on 2.0T LTG applications or just Supercharger applications?

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #11
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1le32907 View Post
How hard is this to install and does the tune need to be adjusted or is it a separate tune for the chiller
Installation is not difficult; however, you have to have a qualified tech discharge the AC and recharge after. The tune can be optimized for the chiller since it will see colder temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Will this work on 2.0T LTG applications or just Supercharger applications?
This is for boosted vehicles with an air to water cooling system, I believe the LTG is air cooled, so you would have to change to water cooled like the LF4 ATS V to take advantage of this.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
With a well known name for the best heat exchangers and ancillary cooling mods on the market, we have been working on the next step in cooling for the past year and after testing various combinations, we are finally ready to release our Boost Freeze chiller! We have developed a complete plug and play system allowing you to tie into your OEM air conditioning system! This is the very first chiller system even available for the gen 6 Camaros, C7 Corvettes, CTS V gen 3s, and the ATS V and we also have the previous gens covered too While this technology is not new, unfortunately to date, chiller kits have always been surrounded by mixed reviews from poorly designed kits and train-wreck threads between competing manufacturers bickering. However, simply put: the proven concept WORKS when done properly! For example, Dodge has just developed their own kit and launched it on the Demon.

How it works?
The chiller uses the OEM air conditioning system to reach sub zero temperatures in the supercharger heat exchanger coolant to remove MORE heat from the compressed air, making it denser, allowing for MORE timing, and thus MORE POWER!!! The cabin air conditioning on our kit remains unaffected and still allows you to remain cool inside while your supercharger gets frost bitten too

System features:
  • Insulated chiller unit
  • OEM quality hardware, lines, and fittings
  • Thermostat controlled heat exchanger bypass when temperatures are below ambient
  • Cabin diverter for race mode to channel ALL of the refrigerant to the chiller
  • Plug and Play hardware for an easy installation
  • Temperature monitor
  • Optional Bluetooth controller for custom programming settings

Product launch will occur next month with pricing and availability!

Can you do a better video? This video makes no sense on how and what we are looking at.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
yeah, what he said. I want more info .
Old 02-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
I just want it. Will it work on an ss with a whipple? If I don’t want to adjust the timing is a tune needed just to get the added benefit of low temps?
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiller, cooling, heat exchanger, hex, pulley