Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 11-22-2017, 01:12 AM   #1
FATTEMUNK

Drives: 600whp 2016 C63 AMG/ 2018 SS 1LE
Question Polish Lights and Sidemarkers

Hey guys, so I bought some used dark tails and some used DD sidemarkers (rip bf sales). The tails have some light scratches and scuffs but the DD are in bad shape. Scuffed and scratched to hell, not at all how the previous owner said they were. Was told they were brand new. I was wondering what the best way to remedy this would be. I have used some Meguiars PP and some 1500 to 7000 grit sand paper. They still look very rough. Any ideas on how to restore them to brand new? Also polishing pad recommendations? I have the porter cable polisher and /or a drill.
FATTEMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:17 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I don’t think you can do it without a Rotary, a hybrid wool pad, and a lot of skill… You might want to take it to a body shop and see if they can do it on a wheel.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Would some of those adhesive vinyl pieces like from bigwormgraphix cover the marks?
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:17 AM   #4
FATTEMUNK

So I tried to polish it again and the sidemarkers look great! The problem is the tails. The angles and the inset middle makes it really hard to polish without having the drills polishing pad side hit it and leave these gluey marks than can only be sanded off. Tried goo gone and it doesn't work. Gonna try to order the Adams polishes drill polishing kit with the 15% extra off. On the sidemarkers is it safe to put some extra CQuartz UK that I have lyin around on it or should I put Xpel? Not trying to damage the hard work I put into restoring them.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #5
FATTEMUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Would some of those adhesive vinyl pieces like from bigwormgraphix cover the marks?
The light scratches are all over and I am kind of a scratch freak. Cant stand having any at all and my friends think Im crazy for polishing my tailights. Told them that it's so the mustangs can see me better :^)