Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Exclamation WEAPON-X C7 ZR1 resets Quickest/Fastest 9s Quarter Mile Time: 0-60 MPH in 2.40 flat

Since a lot of you guys seem to be tracking the 2650 superchargers, I figured I'd share this here as well. The stock supercharger on the ZR1 is really impressive, with one exception... it gets insanely hot. So, I've been working on some products and was doing some testing today. But to put down 800whp and run high 9s at 140mph with a stock calibration (with a little manipulation here and there lol) is just incredible! It's currently making about 18psi and I'll be really interested to see the tune once they get into it more. The LT4 supercharger spins at about 20K RPMs and makes 650bhp with 10psi. The LT5 supercharger spins at about 16K RPMs and makes 755bhp with 14psi. The logic to me is slightly backwards with the supercharger spinning slower and making more boost and only 105bhp more with 4psi more and that's only 25bhp per psi. BUT at 18psi making about 950bhp, which is 50bhp per psi, which makes more sense to me. Regardless, aside from the hot lid which I've found quite the solution for below, the car is killing it cutting mid 1.4s and running 140mph. I'll have the TCM unlocked shortly and work on the shift times and speeds, which should really help get that closer to mid 9s.

Had a chance to get back to the track again this morning as a Nick H came in town to pickup his Camaro SS with the Edelbrock S/C and our Boost Freeze chiller, so I had him come out with me so I could dial his setup in more as an avid drag racer. Afterwards, I was able to make a pass a couple passes myself at 12:37 PM and again at 1:52 PM. DA was 1100ish

First off, it was amazing to see this car knock out a 2.40 0-60 MPH time, as that surpasses the $3M Bugatti Chiron and ties the $1.25M La Ferrari and Lambo Aventador SV for a fraction of the price. Anyone saying the ZR1 isn't drag capable is dead wrong!

I cut a 1.49 and then a 1.44 - 60' time today, which is an amazing feat considering it is still a stock calibration more or less. I cannot adjust the nannies yet, PE mode, spark, the torque model etc.
Blasted through the 8th mile in 6.438 at 111.77 MPH
And reset the quickest and fastest quarter mile again today with a 9.928 at 140.49 MPH! I would've liked to see 9.7s and I still think it can get there, but I need to make a few changes to some sensors.

A big thanks as always to my sponsors with black ceramic coated Kooks 2" Headers with Green Cats giving that ROWDY growling cackle, especially on decel and also Forgeline GA1R Open Lug 18x8.5 and 18x12.5" wheels, with tires/tpms come in at just 40lbs on the front and 46lbs on the rear! This is a combined 40lbs lighter front and rear than the Forgeline VX1Rs I've been running with Michelin Cup2 ZP tires as they weigh in at just 50lbs on the front and 56lbs on the rear with tpms. And that is about a 20lb overall weight savings vs. the OEM wheels.

The difference on this trip was testing of a few new products:

1. WEAPON-X SuperFlow Carbon Stage 1 Intake - which performed just as expected after dialing in where I want the AFR and Spark from our previous versions. It was covered in high temp resistant foil, despite being a carbon 3D print... or the Tin Man isn't just looking for his heart

2. WEAPON-X S/C Thermal Spacer for the LT5 lid - this was extremely interesting as the lid temperature after shutting the car off on a NON-spirited drive was 145* under the cowl, an hour later 155*, another hour later 165*! After the lid spacer and a 140 MPH quarter mile blast, the lid was only 120* and after a similar NON- spirited drive home it was only 115*. A 30* temperature reduction on this is just incredible because the intercooler bricks are located in the huge LT5 supercharger lid, not down in the runners like the previous LT4 variants and to keep that heat from soaking into your intercooler system just from heat transfer is priceless. So, it is definitely working, helping to prevent the heat transfer via conduction from the hot engine/cylinder heads/manifold below it. We're using a patented material to make these, unlike some of the other materials on the market used for spacers that tend to warp a little more under more extreme heat.

Here is the cowl after driving 15m into the shop:

Here is the lid!* You can see how much heat it conducts from below and the insulated carbon cowl just holds that heat in with no where to go (for now ):

Here is the lid after a 15m drive home with our WEAPON-X lid spacer, the 45* temperature reduction is incredible!

3. WEAPON-X: ZTK Drag Wing Brackets to lower the tall ZTK wing down some for less down-force at straight line events.

Previous mods are our WEAPON-X950 Package:

1. WEAPON-X SuperFlow Stage 1 Intake (coming soon above)
2. LT5 Ported Throttle Body
3. Kooks 2" Headers ceramic coated with Green Cats
4. WEAPON-X Griptec Stage 3 Pulley
5. WEAPON-X Sensor and Fuel Kit
6. 160* Thermostat
7. Brisk Spark Plugs
8. Magnecor 85kv Spark Plug Wires with Heat Shields
9. Elite E2X Catch Can Kit
10. WEAPON-X Custom Valve Covers and braided PCV lines/fittings
11. Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust

And this package laid down just a hair under 800whp a couple weeks ago!

Last edited by WEAPON-X; 09-24-2018 at 10:26 AM.
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:04 AM   #2
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Very Nice!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
What tire is used to achieve the 9 second passes? The R&D, as well as the improvements you're making are a valuable addition this platform. Kudos.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Very cool, subscribing!

I've got to say, super disappointed with the stock ZR1's performance during motortrends recent best drivers car. Straight line speed, and laguna seca times were both way lower than a car with this much potential should be capable of. Looks like you guys are figuring out at least one of those. Nice!
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
Very impressive on stock tuning.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
What tire is used to achieve the 9 second passes? The R&D, as well as the improvements you're making are a valuable addition this platform. Kudos.
Hoosier 335s for now but I'm tuning the trans on a bench next week and going to a 27" MT 325. Prior I needed the shorter tire for gearing but I cannot believe it cut a 1.44 on that. I'd been stuck in the 1.55s for quite a while until this intake and lid spacer were added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
Very cool, subscribing!

I've got to say, super disappointed with the stock ZR1's performance during motortrends recent best drivers car. Straight line speed, and laguna seca times were both way lower than a car with this much potential should be capable of. Looks like you guys are figuring out at least one of those. Nice!
I wouldn't wipe my ass with that article. MT is a crap publication most of the time and the times they posted were ridiculous. I ran a 10.4 at 135 ish bone stock with the car and there have been quite a few drivers showing insane times. I saw the ZR1 blast past the Z06 by 5-6 seconds in a VIR comparison. The car is nothing short of phenomenal and my last C7 was a 427 with nitrous running mid 9s at 146. So, this thing hot on it's heals in "somewhat" stock form with some bolt ons and tricks is a great feat! I will just never understand why all of these rag mags try to get attention by beating up on the American cars and blowing the Kraut wagons non-stop LOL. It's as bad as watching the liberal media...
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
It's as bad as watching the liberal media...
I was just telling a friend this morning that I can’t even watch it anymore. It’s just gotten that bad. So biased it’s not even funny.

Oh yeah.... impressive times with the ZR1. Hopefully HPT gets that ECU figured out soon.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
Hoosier 335s for now but I'm tuning the trans on a bench next week and going to a 27" MT 325. Prior I needed the shorter tire for gearing but I cannot believe it cut a 1.44 on that. I'd been stuck in the 1.55s for quite a while until this intake and lid spacer were added.

I wouldn't wipe my ass with that article. MT is a crap publication most of the time and the times they posted were ridiculous. I ran a 10.4 at 135 ish bone stock with the car and there have been quite a few drivers showing insane times. I saw the ZR1 blast past the Z06 by 5-6 seconds in a VIR comparison. The car is nothing short of phenomenal and my last C7 was a 427 with nitrous running mid 9s at 146. So, this thing hot on it's heals in "somewhat" stock form with some bolt ons and tricks is a great feat! I will just never understand why all of these rag mags try to get attention by beating up on the American cars and blowing the Kraut wagons non-stop LOL. It's as bad as watching the liberal media...
The Z28 was the MTBDC just a couple of years ago...

I'm not saying that MT is always right, but I dont really buy into the whole "beating up american cars" thing. They pretty much love the ZL1, and hellcat, for very different reasons, and really love the 350R. MURICA!
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
Very cool, subscribing!

Can't trust Import Trend to present the facts
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c7 zr1, fastest, lt5 supercharger, mods, quickest