Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
NM-ZR1

Roto-Fab and GM Warranty

I have a general question to those who have a Rotofab cold air intake system. I have called a number of Chevrolet dealers about installing an aftermarket cold air intake.

I usually get a number of responses all the way from "It could void your warranty if we see it on the car" all the way down to "you should put your factory air box on before bringing it in" This seems like it would be a lot of work to do each time you take it in.

So my question to those who have them installed is how do you handle warranty issues?

(and before someone mentions it, yes I know all about the magnuson ferguson act and no, I don't want to get into a pissing contest with GM)

Thanks for all suggestions
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Magnuson Moss,… Not Ferguson. At Any good operating dealership A CAI should make no difference in warranty unless something goes bad with the actual airflow sensor itself.

don't expect to get a good answer on the phone or email,you need to go interview with the general service manager and get an OK from him. Then it will trickle down to the advisers.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I think it can be hit or miss depending on the dealer. I took my car into the dealer I bought it from for an oil change. Service manager pops the hood. I asked, just curious what are you checking? Never had a service manager pop the hood. He said looking for an air intake or any other mods.. I asked, just curious, what if i had them? He said these engines are so sensitive, that an air intake can cause air/fuel ratio problems, they can tell from the computer, and my warranty would be void.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
I think it can be hit or miss depending on the dealer. I took my car into the dealer I bought it from for an oil change. Service manager pops the hood. I asked, just curious what are you checking? Never had a service manager pop the hood. He said looking for an air intake or any other mods.. I asked, just curious, what if i had them? He said these engines are so sensitive, that an air intake can cause air/fuel ratio problems, they can tell from the computer, and my warranty would be void.
Time for a different dealer. You went there for an oil change, not to get raided by the warranty nazi... If you went in for a MAF error code, for example, I could understand. But you were there for a friggin oil change. Sorry...end of rant...
Old 09-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Time for a different dealer. You went there for an oil change, not to get raided by the warranty nazi... If you went in for a MAF error code, for example, I could understand. But you were there for a friggin oil change. Sorry...end of rant...
Yup, I never went back
-- Past --
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
Yup, I never went back
Good man!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Burden of proof is on you, not GM that intake caused a failure.

If you are worried about warranty, leave it stock. It's not like your ass can tell those extra 10 hp anyway. Put louder muffler on it and call it done.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:06 AM   #8
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Burden of proof is on you, not GM that intake caused a failure.

If you are worried about warranty, leave it stock. It's not like your ass can tell those extra 10 hp anyway. Put louder muffler on it and call it done.
I actually recall the burden of proof being on the dealer being in the actual wording of the act. Too lazy to go copy/paste it this evening though.

But to the OP: swapping intakes takes 10-20 mins tops. Easy as it gets.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #9
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
I actually recall the burden of proof being on the dealer being in the actual wording of the act. Too lazy to go copy/paste it this evening though.

The MM act was meant to allow you to do oil changes with oil that isn't made by Chevrolet, and air filters not made by Ford. The intent was not so you could freely modify your car with go fast parts then have the manufacturer warranty your car.

With that said, you can definitely fight it. How many people want to go through a lengthy negotiation or court battle over an intake? Also, if/when you do, I would imagine GMs lawyers have a bit of practice at it so keep that in mind.

The simplest way is to not mod engine related things. If you do, then plan on dealing with the repercussions when time for warranty work.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
The MM act was meant to allow you to do oil changes with oil that isn't made by Chevrolet, and air filters not made by Ford. The intent was not so you could freely modify your car with go fast parts then have the manufacturer warranty your car.

With that said, you can definitely fight it. How many people want to go through a lengthy negotiation or court battle over an intake? Also, if/when you do, I would imagine GMs lawyers have a bit of practice at it so keep that in mind.

The simplest way is to not mod engine related things. If you do, then plan on dealing with the repercussions when time for warranty work.
Exactly. Most people mis-interpret the MM act. If the part you are placing on the car is different from OEM specs then MM doesn't apply to you. The dealer doesn't have to prove anything unless you want to pay all the legal fees to take them to court over it. You could try and get your dealer to install it and that might help but, honestly, a CAI gives zero gain without a tune so it is pretty much a waste of money. Once you tune the car kiss the warranty goodbye.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
Exactly. Most people mis-interpret the MM act. If the part you are placing on the car is different from OEM specs then MM doesn't apply to you. The dealer doesn't have to prove anything unless you want to pay all the legal fees to take them to court over it. You could try and get your dealer to install it and that might help but, honestly, a CAI gives zero gain without a tune so it is pretty much a waste of money. Once you tune the car kiss the warranty goodbye.
for sure. and if you play, you gotta pay. Anytime you are mod'ing, you are running the risk of no warranty.

When I supercharged my Mustang, one dealer wouldn't even look at it.
-- Past --
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Thanks for that, so I could simply swap it out and I should not have any issues with codes from the change, correct? (Or should I buy a MAF for each unit so I don't have to relocate it?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
Thanks for that, so I could simply swap it out and I should not have any issues with codes from the change, correct? (Or should I buy a MAF for each unit so I don't have to relocate it?
Correct. No maf relocation required for an intake swap. Rotofab and KN do not throw codes at all. Can’t speak for other intakes because I just don’t know, and some other are designed to be retuned for.

Additionally, I encourage all in this discussion to actually read the MM act, as well as any legal explanation of it.....as it’s obvious nobody has. The act SPECIFICALLY places the legal burden of proof on a dealership to prove the aftermarket part contributed to the failure that was denied. This isn’t me speculating, it’s the black and white of the act we are discussing. I understand no body wants to end up in this perdiciment of playing the warranty blame game with a dealership.....but that concern is the EXACT reason the suit was brought forward and the precedent was set: so that dealers can’t deny repairs without proof.

Last edited by ninetres; 09-20-2018 at 03:56 PM.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #14
NM-ZR1

Ninetres, I totally respect what you have said but, It is so easy for GM to say your warranty is voided due to modification or use of aftermarket parts. All it takes is a service writer, advisor or even a technician with a bug up their ass to do so. Especially for a few horsepower (I actually like it more for its looks, lol)

True, the law is on our side but consider what you would have to do to fight it. For me it's just not worth the possible aggravation.

I will keep the original airbox, purchase a second MAF so I don't need to transfer between the air box and the Rotofab.

Since there should be no codes involved I should be able to switch back to the factory unit before taking the car in. I know this really is a cop out and I should stand my ground but honestly I don't have the time (nor money) to get in a pissing contest with GM. Just my 2cents.

Last edited by NM-ZR1; 09-21-2018 at 10:55 AM.