Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #155
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Ive had both, and honestly the biggest advantage to the gm one is the reflash.

Sure, the afe may flow 31% more, and it worked GREAT without a reflash/tune... but the only way to FULLY take advantage of that extra 31% of flow is to have a tune that tells the MAF sensor to start reading more air flow. Else it will just read lean, but not enough to throw a code. Just enough to alter the fuel trims to throw in more fuel to adjust.

Ive already done a post if you search for it. Lt fuel trims were 13-18% additional with the afe. Afyer the gm intake the lt fuel trims were within 0-3%, which is close to stock, but the reflash allows the maf to read more airflow, and also adjusts the injector pulse width.

One makes power by making the system adjust, the gm makes power by adjusting the system from the start. Flip a coin, both have great potential and there isnt a best. If there was you wouldnt have a need to ask which one is...

Its gonna boil down to which one you like the looks of, and do you want gm to reflash the ecm or an aftermarket reflash. Legit.
I do plan on getting a reflash along with the TB/IM further down the road once I'm more confident that no big issues with the car are going to crop up. How much difference do you think there is between the intakes? A few hp maybe?

How are these engines with heat soak? I come from the J-series Honda engines, which are pretty notorious for issues with soak. I'm in the deep south, so it's 80+ for most of the year. Would the AFE be a little less prone to soak since it's enclosed?
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #156
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
I do plan on getting a reflash along with the TB/IM further down the road once I'm more confident that no big issues with the car are going to crop up. How much difference do you think there is between the intakes? A few hp maybe?

How are these engines with heat soak? I come from the J-series Honda engines, which are pretty notorious for issues with soak. I'm in the deep south, so it's 80+ for most of the year. Would the AFE be a little less prone to soak since it's enclosed?

Every intake is probably extremely similar and could vary for midrange and peak, but yes, a few hp difference between any two intakes if it's anything like the 5th gen. Open or closed box, if it's short, it'll be similar. A closed box will simply take a bit longer to heat soak. Long tube intakes are even better, especially for midrange to peak torque. If there is an air scoop option like on the 5th gen to actually keep the heat down, that would be your best investment.

My little brother had an 06 J30A5 Accord. There were multiple factors but the biggest thing was definitely the aluminum intake manifold. The composite on the LGX will not heat soak anywhere near as easily. Adding vents to the hood like on the SS or Z to vent some of the engine bay would help too, but that's for everything under the hood, not just your intake.

As a note, since I've commented on other posts here, I believe the GMPP intake has a larger intake tube (which would cause the MAF to read incorrectly) as part of the appeal. Unless other intakes have larger MAF tubes (I think the GMPP intake is 3.5" vs 3" of stock and others, I was corrected about that before so I'm pretty sure that's what it was) in theory the GMPP intake could be the best one easily.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #157
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Every intake is probably extremely similar and could vary for midrange and peak, but yes, a few hp difference between any two intakes if it's anything like the 5th gen. Open or closed box, if it's short, it'll be similar. A closed box will simply take a bit longer to heat soak. Long tube intakes are even better, especially for midrange to peak torque. If there is an air scoop option like on the 5th gen to actually keep the heat down, that would be your best investment.

My little brother had an 06 J30A5 Accord. There were multiple factors but the biggest thing was definitely the aluminum intake manifold. The composite on the LGX will not heat soak anywhere near as easily. Adding vents to the hood like on the SS or Z to vent some of the engine bay would help too, but that's for everything under the hood, not just your intake.

As a note, since I've commented on other posts here, I believe the GMPP intake has a larger intake tube (which would cause the MAF to read incorrectly) as part of the appeal. Unless other intakes have larger MAF tubes (I think the GMPP intake is 3.5" vs 3" of stock and others, I was corrected about that before so I'm pretty sure that's what it was) in theory the GMPP intake could be the best one easily.
I had a TL with the magnesium manifold J35, but it still tended to heat soak pretty bad. The ECU pulled the timing like hell if you were sitting still for any extended period of time.

Well it looks like I'm gonna be going with the GMPP intake.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #158
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post

DSX pretty much covered it. from experience with the two honestly, a few on a glorious perfectly 40 degree day...maybe. the biggest thing you will see between intakes in the aftermarket is where the power is applied in the power band. And that's due to the intake tube design. there's not gonna be this one magical intake the makes anything noticeable more than the rest. unless you refer to a supercharger.... but outside of that, there's still room for gains on the table from gm, there always will be in stock cars vs modded.

the AFE was more punchy down low like 1500-3000. not as much off the line, cause I could break tires on reg roads, but not at a prepped track, which was awesome! then had good mid range and upper rpm was avg. this was also without a tune.

the gm is punchy in all rpms frankly. but that reflash is the ticket. I've ran my fastest times with the gm intake and still was spinning off the line on a prepped surface.

the difference is by far a coin flip as said, or simply pick which one you think is prettiest. pepsi or coke... or you can view it how I did.... one intake was 400$ for the AFE, and the GM was 375$ and came with a reflash included in the price. that's why I switched.

heat soak, I really haven't seen it an issue on the N/A cars... obviously the ZL1 with a supercharger gets it, and I've seen that first hand. but even without a heavy duty cooling system, I've hot lapped at least 7 runs back to back and was within a 1 tenth between all the runs. also never had an issue with it in autocross as well. during one of the schools, you ran like 5-6 back to back runs on a 60-75 second course. at AutoX two years ago it was 97 degrees and surface temps on the blacktop were 137 to 144 mid day.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #159
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Sorry I just assumed you had a 16/17 since they don't list the 18's for intake to even work with. In that case I'm sure it will be added at some point.
How long did it take for the 2017 to be covered? The 2019 is almost out and it appears there's no support for 2018.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #160
WideTrx

Drives: 2017 RS LGX w/ mods
GMPP from 6.2L

Does anyone know if putting the 6.2L version of the GMPP CAI on our 3.6L would be an issue? I like the look of the airbox/shroud of the 6.2L version better than the 3.6L version, and it also looks like it has a larger cone filter which allows an additional 110g/s of airflow. It appears that they are just reselling the Cold Air Inductions 6.2L model.

If it's an issue mounting the tube to the V6 throttle body inlet, I know there are adapters to change the sizing. Are the PCV and Sound Enhancer connections to the tube the same? Would I have issues with the MAF sensor mounting, or it throwing CEL due to the additional airflow? Is GM going to deny me (I think I already know the answer to this) the tune that come with the GMPP line due to the incorrect part installed?

Thanks all!
WideTrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #161
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideTrx View Post
Does anyone know if putting the 6.2L version of the GMPP CAI on our 3.6L would be an issue? I like the look of the airbox/shroud of the 6.2L version better than the 3.6L version, and it also looks like it has a larger cone filter which allows an additional 110g/s of airflow. It appears that they are just reselling the Cold Air Inductions 6.2L model.

If it's an issue mounting the tube to the V6 throttle body inlet, I know there are adapters to change the sizing. Are the PCV and Sound Enhancer connections to the tube the same? Would I have issues with the MAF sensor mounting, or it throwing CEL due to the additional airflow? Is GM going to deny me (I think I already know the answer to this) the tune that come with the GMPP line due to the incorrect part installed?

Thanks all!
Everything is different. The tube size is different. The throttle body is bigger so the connectors will probably be a little bit larger. most obviously, the map sensor area is probably going to be different to simply because the engine flows more air on a V8 than it does on a V6 and you don't need as much size on a v6.

Basically when it comes to the air flow use the parts that are made for your car unless you've extensively modified your car to be able to fit another system. But at that point this question wouldn't even have to be asked you already know what to do

In short it's kind of like if you're going to run from a tiger and you wear size 11 shoes you probably wouldn't try to make the same run wearing my size shoes at size 15. Bigger isn't always better

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #162
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Is it really a debate? 5th gen owners asked for more performance parts, I gen did an email from Chevrolet about the options for the 6th gen. I would trust a manufacturers designed product that they tested and designed specifically for that car over any 3rd party. GM designed the intake to work with their car, they have a lot to gain by producing a quality product.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #163
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
I installed the GM performance air intake and had the GM tune installed today. I noticed a pretty clear difference in midrange power and overall eagerness to rev. Seat of the pants says it is an improvement over stock. I want to get some more miles on it and see how it does, but so far I think it is worth the money. The tune is critical though - it didn't feel this way until it was flashed. In fact I got a CEL with the intake without the tune (system too lean).

The performance intake is 3.5 inch diameter, tapering down to 3 inches at the throttle body. The MAF is in a 3.5 section, so must be recalibrated vs stock.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #164
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
Just installed mine this afternoon, Everything went fine except for the portion that involved placing the gasket on. I don't have any place to install that part. The opening is just open to behind the light area. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Going next weekend to the reprogramming from Chevy.

Attached Images

Last edited by Bodyslide; 10-23-2018 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #165
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
WasJust installed mine this afternoon, Everything went fine except for the portion that involved placing the gasket on. I don't have any place to install that part. The opening is just open to behind the light area. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Going next weekend to the reprogramming from Chevy.

It should have included a little rubber gasket type thing that goes over the opening of the GMPP intake that mates up to the stock air intake port behind the light.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #166
Bodyslide

I have the gasket, just no air intake port behind the light. Mine was built on 11/15. Maybe the early models didn't have the intake port. Thanks
Old 10-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #167
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
I have the gasket, just no air intake port behind the light. Mine was built on 11/15. Maybe the early models didn't have the intake port. Thanks
Did you buy the car new? Has it ever had any body work done?
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #168
Bodyslide

Bought it new in 09/16, no work of any type to the body or the engine, besides oil changes. I need to do so more digging and see if they intake port was added later. Because I don't have anything as shown in the Photo. Just Crazy.

Doing some digging around and it looks like the part I don't have is called an : Air Baffle - GM (23507393), Maybe.

Last edited by Bodyslide; 10-19-2018 at 08:24 AM.