Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Camaros and AllState, not good!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/allstat...d=hp_lead_pos4
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Got a link to the article that is not behind a paywall?

On a related note, when shopping for insurance lately I have noticed that most quoting services are asking if I'm willing to install an OBD2 monitor on their "available extra optional discounts" screen. My answer: oh hell no.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Got a link to the article that is not behind a paywall?

On a related note, when shopping for insurance lately I have noticed that most quoting services are asking if I'm willing to install an OBD2 monitor on their "available extra optional discounts" screen. My answer: oh hell no.
https://www.compare.com/auto-insuran...ivewise-review
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Nationwide does the same thing. I did it for mine and knocked 40% off my bill so I can't complain. As long as you don't drive like an ass you really have nothing to worry about.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Interesting reading the particulars on the Allstate monitor and what it considers an event.
"Acceleration Event: Increases in vehicle speed greater than 8 mph per second. "

7.5 seconds to sixty is not that fast for a modern v8 ... or any electric. One may not drive like an ass#@le and still trigger that quite often, but that's a matter of opinion and we all know what opinions are like.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Even if they offered to pay ME to use the tracker, as well as cover my car insurance premium, I’d say no way. This crap has to stop… I’ve turned off location services on my phone because of its “handy” pop up’s on traffic use. IE time / traffic to destination on particular days / times that I travel the same routes. And quite frankly, I hate paying for buried Onstar Equip as part of the purchase price. Nor do I like them to be able to download my driving habits, whether they be good or bad. I’m going to try the simplest way possible to disable / re- enable Onstar on my next car. How many people need to know my movements and speed at any given time?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Even if they offered to pay ME to use the tracker, as well as cover my car insurance premium, I’d say no way. This crap has to stop… I’ve turned off location services on my phone because of its “handy” pop up’s on traffic use. IE time / traffic to destination on particular days / times that I travel the same routes. And quite frankly, I hate paying for buried Onstar Equip as part of the purchase price. Nor do I like them to be able to download my driving habits, whether they be good or bad. I’m going to try the simplest way possible to disable / re- enable Onstar on my next car. How many people need to know my movements and speed at any given time?
I agree. This should work. Not the exact conditions for us, just the unplugging part. Also, old thread here https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448268:

Step 1
Turn off the vehicle and open the trunk.

Step 2
Lift up the trunk liner. This liner covers the spare tire. Set the liner to the side.

Step 3
Remove the spare tire. There may be a wingnut holding the spare tire in place. If so, turn the wingnut counter-clockwise to unscrew it and loosen the tire.

Step 4
Remove the cargo net, if you have one. Unscrew the net. If this net exist, these are the only screws you will have to remove to unscrew the tire plate. If you don't have a cargo net, see step 5.

Step 5
Remove the trunk still plate. The still plate is at the bottom of the bay where the tire was sitting. There are four screws in each corner of the trunk that are holding the plate in place. Unscrew them and set the plate aside.

Step 6
Pull the top right of the trunk shell back to reveal the Onstar device. The device is a metal box with the Onstar logo.

Step 7
Pull out the three wires connected to the Onstar device. Unplugging the device will disconnect it from the power and communication sources. The Onstar is now disabled.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Interesting reading the particulars on the Allstate monitor and what it considers an event.
"Acceleration Event: Increases in vehicle speed greater than 8 mph per second. "

7.5 seconds to sixty is not that fast for a modern v8 ... or any electric. One may not drive like an ass#@le and still trigger that quite often, but that's a matter of opinion and we all know what opinions are like.
There's one place I go on a pretty regular basis where, in order to get out, you pretty much have to accelerate faster than that. It's a right turn onto what is more or less an expressway with heavy traffic going by at 80 mph.

Obviously, the Camaro is very well equipped to handle that (the work trucks I'm usually driving less so), but I'd guess I'm pulling off a 6-7 second zero to sixty, which would have me running afoul of Insurance Big Brother doodad, even when I'm actively doing my best to make that merge safely.

There are also a few spots along I-35 between Austin and Dallas where the on ramps are only about 100 feet long. They're incredibly sketchy, even in a fast car like the Camaro. I'm not sure how normal cars are supposed to use them safely. The one just north of the Waco Tesla Supercharger station is the one that comes to mind first, but basically all of the ones in Belton and Temple are like that too.

I'm curious what happens with one of these OBD2 gizmos is you just leave it at home sometimes. I guess it checks the odometer when you plug it in, so it knows if you drove the car without it?
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #9
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Wife had Gieco and then Allstate before we got married those two insurance companies are the most notorious for tracking. I just stick with an insurance company without the OBDII thing.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #10
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Not so sure if its more about collecting data or teaching you to drive within their parameters.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
I'm with USAA (ex-Military) and they monitor. I drive exactly the way I want, which I guess makes me someone who drives like an ass, as a previous poster said. Why do you have a high performance car if you're not going to accelerate from 0-60 in less than 7 seconds? You may as well drive a turd.

I get back from my always spirited drives with about 25, so-called, driving infractions and I don't give a shit. My rates will not go up. You just get less of a discount. But I still do get a discount. If that changes, I'll cancel the app.

I could write a thesis on the ridiculous metrics they use to determine a driving infraction. It's stupid. I live in a very rural, mountainous area, (small mountains, but mountains none the less) where all of the roads are 2 lane, (one in each direction). The speed limit on all of those roads is 55 mph. But people live on those roads. They walk along them. They back out of driveways. And the roads are very twisty. So what do you do when you come around a corner and someone has just backed out of their driveway and is blocking the road. You jump on the brakes, that's what you do. That results in a driving infraction. Or if you're coming down a steep hill, come around a sharp corner, and have to jump on the brakes due to some old granny doing 30 in a 55. You get an infraction.

You get another infraction if you turn without a turn signal. Suppose nobody is there? They still give you an infraction for not using the turn signal. it's total bullshit. I've been with USAA for 42 years. I've never had an at-fault accident. No points on my record in 35 years. I'm an ex SCCA road-course racer, A Porsche Club instructor, and I was a volunteer instructor at a Nascar Driving Experience for 6 years. None of that matters. What matters is if you put your blinker on when nobody is around. imagine that.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone5 View Post
I'm with USAA (ex-Military) and they monitor. I drive exactly the way I want, which I guess makes me someone who drives like an ass, as a previous poster said. Why do you have a high performance car if you're not going to accelerate from 0-60 in less than 7 seconds? You may as well drive a turd.

I get back from my always spirited drives with about 25, so-called, driving infractions and I don't give a shit. My rates will not go up. You just get less of a discount. But I still do get a discount. If that changes, I'll cancel the app.

I could write a thesis on the ridiculous metrics they use to determine a driving infraction. It's stupid. I live in a very rural, mountainous area, (small mountains, but mountains none the less) where all of the roads are 2 lane, (one in each direction). The speed limit on all of those roads is 55 mph. But people live on those roads. They walk along them. They back out of driveways. And the roads are very twisty. So what do you do when you come around a corner and someone has just backed out of their driveway and is blocking the road. You jump on the brakes, that's what you do. That results in a driving infraction. Or if you're coming down a steep hill, come around a sharp corner, and have to jump on the brakes due to some old granny doing 30 in a 55. You get an infraction.

You get another infraction if you turn without a turn signal. Suppose nobody is there? They still give you an infraction for not using the turn signal. it's total bullshit. I've been with USAA for 42 years. I've never had an at-fault accident. No points on my record in 35 years. I'm an ex SCCA road-course racer, A Porsche Club instructor, and I was a volunteer instructor at a Nascar Driving Experience for 6 years. None of that matters. What matters is if you put your blinker on when nobody is around. imagine that.

I agree with you and I also have fun with my car. I didn't know USAA monitors I have them too but at the same time I do not use the app. Also good to know they do not increase your rates.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #13
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone5 View Post

If you burn off from every light or weave in and out of traffic or street race then yeah my comment applies to you. I will agree that the metrics are a little ridiculous but they do give you some room for error before they decrease the percentage of the discount.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I agree with you and I also have fun with my car. I didn't know USAA monitors I have them too but at the same time I do not use the app. Also good to know they do not increase your rates.
You're good as long as you don't download the app. You get a 40% discount if you download and use the app. But, that discount is reduced by the number of, so-called, driving infractions you accumulate. My discount is like 5%. Driving skill, ability, focus, experience, clean record, etc., doesn't matter anymore. Only baby-soft braking, turn signal use regardless if you're alone on the road, acceleration, and following distance matters. The only one that makes sense to me is following distance.

But I wonder how they rate my following distance because I always pass a slower car if the road and the road markings allow. And I drive over 100 mph every time I get in my car. They've got to freak when they see my chart. I flew F14s in the Navy 35 years ago. I like to go fast. USAA originally just insured officers, like F14 pilots. But now that it's opened up to all service members, which I'm cool with, their wives, their kids, etc., it's a different company. Many of my former squadron mates, Airwing mates, and former military pilots in my airline career have left USAA for other companies. USAA has gone PC. Like the whole country. Results don't matter, only intentions.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote