#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-31-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Michelin P4s and track alignment

I ended up with what looked to be the broken end of a screw driver in the middle of my front left stock Goodyear. The hole it left when I pulled the damn thing out was impressive and expensive. Since the stockers had about 5800 miles anyway, I replaced them with Michelin P4s and had the dealership do a 4 wheel alignment to the track specs set out in the owners manual. They were able to get the specs pretty darn near what the manual called for. Hated to replace the Goodyears but they appear to have zero chance against road debris which all the rednecks down here in Georgia leave all over the road. "Hey Bubba, watch all them roofing nails hit the pavement, yeeeeee haaaaa."

I know it is not worth evaluating new tires with no wear, but the immediate difference is a somewhat less harsh ride than the Goodyears at any point and much less sandblasting the side of the Camaro with pebbles and gravel. I do not notice any negative difference in handling on the local twisties near my house, and in fact the initial turn in and responsiveness feels a bit sharper, which is likely the impact of the alignment. I don't drive the ZE in the rain or in the cold, but I like the idea of having a better rain tire if I get caught in a mystery thunderstorm that happens down here. Had that experience once with the Goodyears and regardless of what I did, I felt the back end get loose several times. Any-who, just some initial impressions.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
I ended up with what looked to be the broken end of a screw driver in the middle of my front left stock Goodyear. The hole it left when I pulled the damn thing out was impressive and expensive. Since the stockers had about 5800 miles anyway, I replaced them with Michelin P4s and had the dealership do a 4 wheel alignment to the track specs set out in the owners manual. They were able to get the specs pretty darn near what the manual called for. Hated to replace the Goodyears but they appear to have zero chance against road debris which all the rednecks down here in Georgia leave all over the road. "Hey Bubba, watch all them roofing nails hit the pavement, yeeeeee haaaaa."

I know it is not worth evaluating new tires with no wear, but the immediate difference is a somewhat less harsh ride than the Goodyears at any point and much less sandblasting the side of the Camaro with pebbles and gravel. I do not notice any negative difference in handling on the local twisties near my house, and in fact the initial turn in and responsiveness feels a bit sharper, which is likely the impact of the alignment. I don't drive the ZE in the rain or in the cold, but I like the idea of having a better rain tire if I get caught in a mystery thunderstorm that happens down here. Had that experience once with the Goodyears and regardless of what I did, I felt the back end get loose several times. Any-who, just some initial impressions.
In general, new tires have the best grip and decreased stability (due to tread squirm) and older tires have less traction, but increased stability.

There is a small window where a tire has optimal grip and increased stability both at the same time.

Something I have learned over the years.

That is one advantage of having the OEM Goodyears on, the new tread squirm is minimal due to low tread depth to begin with.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Agreed. Pointless to compare when new. Just threw out an initial impression.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
For the track, once heated up the Goodyears are definitely the way to go.

On the street I'm driving PS4s now and they are much better. Get a second set of wheels and save the GY for track only.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I've heard nothing but good things when it comes to the P4's. I still have the stock Goodyears and like them for the most part. I believe they are a good summer tire but suck in the wet and cold, so they do what they are designed to do. My plan is to replace them with P4's when the time comes
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I'm really impressed with the stock GYs for track use. I'm on my second set. I'm considering something different set for street only use because the stockers are definitely sticky and throw up a lot of road debris especially when warm.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote