Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
JPAT

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6 2LT RS M6
NPP exhaust questions

Can someone help me with a couple questions regarding the NPP exhaust sound?

1) When switching driving mode between Tour and Sport, does the exhaust loudness change automatically or must it be changed manually using the engine sound management settings located in the infotainement system?

2) Can you drive in Tour mode and keep the exhaust system in the loud mode?

Thank you for your help.
JPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
1) When switching driving mode between Tour and Sport, does the exhaust loudness change automatically or must it be changed manually using the engine sound management settings located in the infotainement system?
Under the Engine Sound Management options, if it is set to "Auto" then NPP will be linked to your drive modes. Changing this setting to anything but Auto will override the drive mode.

Quote:
2) Can you drive in Tour mode and keep the exhaust system in the loud mode?
Change the Engine Sound Management option to Sport. This will override all drive mode NPP settings.

Note that even when set to Sport (and Track for the V8), the NPP valves will still close under certain conditions. To keep them open all the time, you'll have to pull a fuse or buy a third party controller like the Forza or Mild2Wild.

Lots of threads here regarding fuse pulling and controllers so I would suggest a search if you're wanting to do that.

Hope that helps!
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Pull a fuse? I have my driving mode set to Touring, but in Engine Sound Management I set exhaust to Track. Isn’t that going to be the best setting for keeping the exhaust note the loudest? I may be wrong, so these are my questions:

Is Track the best and loudest setting for NPP in Engine Sound Management?

Do they stay open all of the time in this mode, or is it essentially just like Sport mode, and if so, why the two different exhaust modes?
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Is Track the best and loudest setting for NPP in Engine Sound Management?
For you, yes Track mode will be the "loudest". I made specific mention of Sport mode in my post above because V6 Camaros don't have access to track mode - though I think 1LE's might have it?

Quote:
Do they stay open all of the time in this mode, or is it essentially just like Sport mode, and if so, why the two different exhaust modes?
No, just like the other sound options the NPP in Track mode will still activate under certain situations, generally at steady highway speeds. Without some modification, there is no way to keep the valves open 100% of the time.

In regards to specific NPP differences between Sport and Track, I'm not entirely sure since I don't have Track available in my car. I would guess it has a slightly different threshhold at which the NPP engages, or they stay open longer.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:46 AM   #5
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
For you, yes Track mode will be the "loudest". I made specific mention of Sport mode in my post above because V6 Camaros don't have access to track mode - though I think 1LE's might have it?.
Yup V6 1LEs have Tour, Sport, and Track.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
For you, yes Track mode will be the "loudest". I made specific mention of Sport mode in my post above because V6 Camaros don't have access to track mode - though I think 1LE's might have it?

No, just like the other sound options the NPP in Track mode will still activate under certain situations, generally at steady highway speeds. Without some modification, there is no way to keep the valves open 100% of the time.

In regards to specific NPP differences between Sport and Track, I'm not entirely sure since I don't have Track available in my car. I would guess it has a slightly different threshhold at which the NPP engages, or they stay open longer.
Thank you very much for the response. It’s late and apparently my “reading comprehension” isn’t as sharp. lol Honestly though, I know a good deal about the V8 Camaros and very little about the V6s. I had no idea that there wasn’t a “Track” option on all models. Thank you. 👍🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote