Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-26-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
Mods Lowering Performance?

I read some comments on YouTube videos about simple mods like a cold air intake, and how performance actually suffers after this sort of an upgrade. Is that true, and if it is, why would we want to even attempt performance upgrades?
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
I read some comments on YouTube videos about simple mods like a cold air intake, and how performance actually suffers after this sort of an upgrade. Is that true, and if it is, why would we want to even attempt performance upgrades?
The right mods done with the right tune can absolutely improve performance. Multiple cars on this board over 1000 horsepower….that’s not happening on a stock Camaro.

Be realistic about what your goals are and work with a good shop and/or tuner who can help you make it happen.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
Shock and Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
The right mods done with the right tune can absolutely improve performance. Multiple cars on this board over 1000 horsepower….that’s not happening on a stock Camaro.

Be realistic about what your goals are and work with a good shop and/or tuner who can help you make it happen.

I'm talking specifically about the 2.0L Turbo, which is never going to make 1000 HP unless you redefine what HP is LOL. Someone was mentioning that even a K&N cold air intake actually lowered the performance of their 2.0L Turbo... that's unexpected for me.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:57 PM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I'm talking specifically about the 2.0L Turbo, which is never going to make 1000 HP unless you redefine what HP is LOL. Someone was mentioning that even a K&N cold air intake actually lowered the performance of their 2.0L Turbo... that's unexpected for me.
Best course of action is to set a goal for what you’re trying to achieve and then deal with someone who has the skills, knowledge, and experience to get you there. Buying random parts rarely works out. I believe ZZP does a lot of 2.0 performance stuff. One of my employees has a 2.0 Cobalt making over 400 to the crank so it’s a fun ride for him, no reason you can’t make similar power.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:04 PM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Mods on newer GM cars can actually slow the car down if you don't tune correctly for them. You have to increase the torque limits in the tune or the throttle closes X amount to stay under Y preset torque limit.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:16 PM   #6
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
K&N filters don't filter well like OEM paper ones. If you gain 5hp you will loose it later with cylinder scoring, wear and valve seat wear.
Plus the OEM system already has a cold air intake.

F1 cars use air filter for the same reason.

The easiest way to test is just to remove the air filter and drive the car. If no difference is noticed, a "performance" filter will do less than that.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:28 AM   #7
Shock and Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
K&N filters don't filter well like OEM paper ones. If you gain 5hp you will loose it later with cylinder scoring, wear and valve seat wear.
Plus the OEM system already has a cold air intake.

F1 cars use air filter for the same reason.

The easiest way to test is just to remove the air filter and drive the car. If no difference is noticed, a "performance" filter will do less than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Mods on newer GM cars can actually slow the car down if you don't tune correctly for them. You have to increase the torque limits in the tune or the throttle closes X amount to stay under Y preset torque limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Best course of action is to set a goal for what you’re trying to achieve and then deal with someone who has the skills, knowledge, and experience to get you there. Buying random parts rarely works out. I believe ZZP does a lot of 2.0 performance stuff. One of my employees has a 2.0 Cobalt making over 400 to the crank so it’s a fun ride for him, no reason you can’t make similar power.
I'm actually fine with the stock performance of my 2LT. I'm interested to learn about what mods might be valuable in the future. I have full bumper-to-bumper warranty, tire/wheel hazard, even paint-less dent removal for 7-year 100,000, as well as 81 more payments (doah!). I don't want to make any mods that would give the dealer/warranty company an excuse to say they are not covering a repair.

I bought the car for the Sharkskin Metallic paint, Shock and Steel package, and the convertible (it's amazing how fast the top goes up and down). I'm surprised at the performance of the engine. I thought it was going to be a slow downer, but it has plenty of pep for me.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:42 PM   #8
buckwam

Drives: 2021 camaro 1ls
Check out the Chevrolet web site for accessories that will not void your warranty. The lowering kit will improve handling but not acceleration.
buckwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 06:34 AM   #9
Shock and Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwam View Post
Check out the Chevrolet web site for accessories that will not void your warranty. The lowering kit will improve handling but not acceleration.
In the past, I had a Corvette C6 with the Z51 handling package. Obviously, that car had an amazing ride. The ride improved even more when replaced the Goodyear Eagle run-flats with Regular all-season tires (economical Nitto tires). I can't replace the new run-flats on this Camaro in good conscience, but I can say I'll be happy when they are worn down. If it's 2, 3, or 4, years into ownership, replacing these run-flats will bring a breath of fresh air to the Camaro's ride that I am actively anticipating. The Camaro handles great, much closer to the feel of the Corvette than my last 3 daily-driver SUVs.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:59 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I read some comments on YouTube videos about simple mods like a cold air intake, and how performance actually suffers after this sort of an upgrade.
You have to be careful of all sources. Youtube can be helpful, but full of misinformation. Generally, it is not easy to get more power with a cheap, simple bolt-on, or the manufacturer would've done it.

The air filter business is tricky, because a filter has a performance curve which changes over its life. Initially it is very porous and free-flowing. In mid-life it has a "dirt plug" which actually improves filtration with limited impact on flow. Late life it is more clogged, and will impede flow, mostly at very high flow rates.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:23 PM   #11
NiickySaz

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1LT V6
It's not only the mod. When your engine was built play a roll, not to question GM QC. But I'd rather have one built on a we'd than a Friday lol. I have a 23' V6 small mods. But very very enjoyable.
NiickySaz is offline   Reply With Quote