Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #15
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Paint is very thin.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
PowertoLove
Banned

Drives: A Sneaky Fast Camaro
Got a few estimates today to repaint the frt, hood and fenders, all around 2600. Dood at the last place I stopped(dealer shop) told me just to live with it because the water based paint they would use is WORSE. He also pointed out from distance car still looks great. Warned me it will just be more bs plus always a chance something gets effed up in the process. Its a shame the dam lawn mowing guys did all this extra damage, it wasn't too bad before but wow they really wacked it with bigstones all over including the windshield. Of course so far no one is taking responsibility so it will probably be on my insurance comprehensive. what worries me if I get it fixed and they hit it again insurance is gonna flip out.
PowertoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^He is right. Aftermarket paint tends to be less durable than OEM. Done right, aftermarket paint can look great, however. If the damage is severe and you don't have other body issues such as rust, then you may fare well with repainting if you also use the paint chip prevention measures described in this thread. I would wait until the paint cures, and then follow up with the chip guard layers.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
bandit38

Drives: Camaro SS - Trans Am - Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowertoLove View Post
Got a few estimates today to repaint the frt, hood and fenders, all around 2600. Dood at the last place I stopped(dealer shop) told me just to live with it because the water based paint they would use is WORSE. He also pointed out from distance car still looks great. Warned me it will just be more bs plus always a chance something gets effed up in the process. Its a shame the dam lawn mowing guys did all this extra damage, it wasn't too bad before but wow they really wacked it with bigstones all over including the windshield. Of course so far no one is taking responsibility so it will probably be on my insurance comprehensive. what worries me if I get it fixed and they hit it again insurance is gonna flip out.

What happened did they cut their grass with the mower blowing at you when you were driving by ?

I hate when people do that.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #19
PowertoLove
Banned

No was parked at work place and lawn company guys hit it with a insane amount of small stones-dirt ruined the windshield 1000's of chips all over the car. In bright sunlight the clear on the fenders and hood looks like it has a 1000 diamonds on it. Pretty badly damaged but I think its way too much damage for what they hit it with. Seems to me the clear damages very very easily. A lot of the damage is the dirt hitting the clear but not going through to the paint. Never seen so many tiny chips on one car.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #20
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowertoLove View Post
No was parked at work place and lawn company guys hit it with a insane amount of small stones-dirt ruined the windshield 1000's of chips all over the car. In bright sunlight the clear on the fenders and hood looks like it has a 1000 diamonds on it. Pretty badly damaged but I think its way too much damage for what they hit it with. Seems to me the clear damages very very easily. A lot of the damage is the dirt hitting the clear but not going through to the paint. Never seen so many tiny chips on one car.
That is unacceptable paint damage. It is essentially an insurance claim. I would hold the lawn company responsible. If it were one of my cars I would definitely repaint and then file a claim. Examples like this, unfortunately is one of dozens of reasons why my cars must be supervised when out. In the case of a daily driver, it is hard when you have to work to constantly look over the car. Seriously consider a different parking area. I had to do this years ago when I was forced into driving my good car to work; It was a tad less convenient but I was successful in staying out of trouble (after one or two incidents). Good luck.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
PowertoLove
Banned

Over 4k in damage without the headlights. Lawn company says no way they caused ANY damage..........So something came along and dumped grass stones and dirt all over the car while it was parked there? Guy was very disrespectful too. My insurance is taking care of it but says they will be going after the lawn company. Only thing I'm questioning is the HID headlights are all pitted now, they want to sand them and polish them. New headlight assembly's are 2k. Not sure I like that idea.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #22
PowertoLove
Banned

Looks like we are going to trade it in on something else, Going looking this weekend. I had enough of this bs. I still think it was done purposely because it looks like new. Jealous people sad.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #23
lbls1

Later for those guys; Let your insurance handle it. If you have evidence then those guys will have to pay. Very lousy, and yes some people can't stand to see others with nice things.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #24
kingofthelv

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS
the best thing these days is getting a vinyl wrap on your car
kingofthelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #25
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthelv View Post
the best thing these days is getting a vinyl wrap on your car

And if you get a bunch of chips in that, then what? Still looks like trash. You would then have to remove the wrap and redo it. Although it may protect your paint underneath but its all the same. All it is - is a band-aid and then it happens again.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
kingofthelv

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS
i know i was told that over the weekend. i will repaint my 2014 next year. i am going to keep it so the paint job will be done
kingofthelv is offline   Reply With Quote