Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Question cold air intake...

Hello.

I have seen many air intakes online as well as many different prices.

I would like to have yalls opinions on which one is the best one for my car?

and

which would be a good one on a budget?

1lt.

thx
Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
rocknss

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS
I have the GM Performance CAI on my Camaro and I like it a lot. Many like the Roto Fab CAI but I personally don't like the open filter look.
2001 Chevy Camaro SS (sold)
1969 Chevy Suburban (restoration project)
rocknss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
On a budget, just do a drop in filter IMO
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Read up on it, some require a tune, like the Rotofab I believe does, GM one actually comes with one. Give some thought to finding the covers and tossing out that OEM sound tube while your at it.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Read up on it, some require a tune, like the Rotofab I believe does, GM one actually comes with one. Give some thought to finding the covers and tossing out that OEM sound tube while your at it.
Rotofab doesnt need a tune. I have one. Its pretty expensive. If youre on a budget check with rdp store he has a 10% discount always on everything. Cheaper than most places. I put a rotofab on my 2017 ss and i just put a carbon fiber hood on it. Remember if youre going to get a cai that your oem hood seals, you will have to fabricate something to seal it if you change the hood, which i had to do. Get a sealed cai. Cheaper too.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The Cold Air Inductions CAI is cheaper than the Chevy Performance CAI and runs off the factory tune! Cold Air Inductions makes the Chevy Performance CAI! I had one on my 2016 2SS after they first came out and it ran fine on the OEM tune and looked good too. Think I paid around $400.00 for the Cold Air Inductions CAI and did the install myself!
Old 02-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
Rotofab doesnt need a tune. I have one. Its pretty expensive. If youre on a budget check with rdp store he has a 10% discount always on everything. Cheaper than most places. I put a rotofab on my 2017 ss and i just put a carbon fiber hood on it. Remember if youre going to get a cai that your oem hood seals, you will have to fabricate something to seal it if you change the hood, which i had to do. Get a sealed cai. Cheaper too.
thank u.

if possible please elaborate on your post. not much familiar with cai's. thx
Old 02-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
LT4Greg

legendary, do you have a V6? If you do, Chevy Performance offers a CAI for your V6 that is an open type! Not sure of the cost though.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
Therealbigrich

Drives: 2020 1SS
Seeing the CAI for my Camaro on Amazon. Does it really not need a tune
Therealbigrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Is a 1LT a 4 cylinder or V6 car?

Here's my opinion. Just go K&N. GEN6 intakes are fairly pricey and the K&N is noticeably less than other big named options. I've run K&N RAI in the past and they are quality parts, and I've put down #'s with a K&N FIPK on a Terminator that had people calling BS for the HP I made with my mods that I had.

Unless K&N just positions the MAF improperly for these cars I see no reason not to run them. Their parts are long proven to be quality pieces.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Therealbigrich, the Cold Air Inductions CAI uses the stock tune and the Roto-Fab does too. The Chevy Performance has a tune that has to be done by the dealer but is included in the price of the CAI.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
Bob RS

Drives: 2019 Camaro RS 1LT
84242613 oem cold air intake from GM. It's a direct fit for the 3.6 and comes with a Tune which GM provides. But , you must have the intake install by the dealership and you get to keep your warranty. The downside--- no information is given on any power gains other then they tell you it provides a 15 percent air flow over stock.
Bob RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #13
Therealbigrich

Drives: 2020 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Therealbigrich, the Cold Air Inductions CAI uses the stock tune and the Roto-Fab does too. The Chevy Performance has a tune that has to be done by the dealer but is included in the price of the CAI.
Is there a big difference between them ?
Therealbigrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #14
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary70 View Post
thank u.

if possible please elaborate on your post. not much familiar with cai's. thx
When I say cai, I mean cold air intake. They are technically called cold air intakes. I put a rotofab on my gen 6 ss. It's awesome but expensive. The hood seals it when the hood is closed. I just replaced my hood with a carbon fiber zl1 replica hood. So now the new hood is shaped different and I had to build something to seal it. If I had to do it over again I would have bought a cai with a seal on the top so I didn't have to build a cover for it when the hood is closed. I buy alot of parts from rdp store and Steve the owner gives 10% on everything they sell. As I was saying rdp store is cheaper than most places with the discount and free shipping. He has different brands of Cold air intakes and pretty much anything you're looking for. He's always online if you have any questions . Very nice guy. I'm not affiliated with rdp store in any way. Just giving you a tip. Just type in rdp store in google and it'll come up. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote