Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
This is the End?

This is the End - Jim Morrisson....

I hope not of the beloved camaro...but is the handwriting on the wall?

Chevy Camaro Faces Perfect Storm Hindering Production

By ANDY BOLIG JUNE 04, 2021
News of the silicone chip shortage and its effect on automobile production is anything but new, but the issues that face production of the current sixth-generation Camaro go much further than microchips, and are both short- and long-term in nature.

Of course, production and sales have been down across the board for all manufacturers for a variety of reasons. Chevy could have sold a LOT more of the super-hot, mid-engine Corvette than it has to date, save for pesky hindrances such as plant strikes, electrical issues, and oh, and the entire globe getting a serious case of the flu.

Camaro has always been Corvette’s little brother in that the two-seater enjoys status as the brand’s halo vehicle. But that doesn’t make Camaro any lesser of an offering, especially if you have more than one friend who likes to travel with you. It can be argued that Camaro’s woes come more from without than within. As Camaro contends with popular cars such as the Challenger and Mustang, it still tries to draw new owners with a seven-year-old foundation. In our best Yoda voice, “An update they must!” but will they? Not for 2022 at least.

While 2022 order books were opened back in April and production at GM’s Lansing Grand River plant in Lansing, Michigan was slated to begin on June 14, 2021, it appears that date will come and go without a completed 2022 Camaro. That date has reportedly been pushed back to September 20th of this year. With reports that the chip shortage could go on for most of this year, those pesky semiconductors can still be a major part of the equation. The reality of Camaro’s U.S. sales slumping to just under 30,000 units last year, it would make sense for GM to dedicate the limited supply to higher-selling/demand vehicles such as SUVs, trucks, and of course, every C8 Corvette they can produce. Of course, it’s hard to sell cars when folks aren’t allowed, or afraid to enter dealers’ showrooms.

The sixth-gen Camaro enjoys a broad offering, but is it too dated to entice buyers?

A re-fresh always gives a nice shot in the arm to any brand, but there are no such niceties slated for next year’s Camaro. The better question might be, IS there one scheduled? With GM committed to being 100-percent EV by 2035, the clock is ticking for GM to either build a kick-ass, seventh-generation Camaro that burns fuel or bulk up on batteries. The alternative, as some have pontificated, is that the nameplate may go away entirely, as early as 2023, when the current generation had been scheduled to cease production.

This timeline would seem to agree with GM’s recent resolve to drastically increase their EV footprint. It recently announced its Factory ZERO initiative for the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center, where the electric Silverado and GMC HUMMER EV SUV will be produced. GM plans to deliver more than 1 million electric vehicles globally by 2025 and a fresh, next-generation Camaro fits nicely into that timeline. Various automakers have enjoyed strong sales of their more mainstream EV vehicles and with many manufacturers already stating their intention to go all-in on electric, a refresh of our beloved Camaro may be more revolutionary than evolutionary.

Chevrolet revealed this eCOPO Camaro at SEMA in 2018. The all-electric Camaro is capable of nine-second quarter-mile times. In a show of commitment to the brand, the Next Gen Camaro ZL1 race car will make its points-paying debut at next season’s Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida on Feb. 20, 2022.

In the meantime, GM still needs to contend with the short-term struggles of getting new Camaros into owners’ garages. Some of those struggles will inherently be external in nature, but hopefully, the Mother Ship won’t turn out to be Camaro’s worst enemy in the end. As the past year clearly indicates, it’s impossible to guess what might happen, only time will tell.
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Two things will answer this question:

First, Camaro is tied at the hip to CT4 and CT5. And Cadillac has said these are the last ICE versions of those cars.

Two, other than FST is GM investing one dime in ICE products for the future? Yes, they will ICEs in the future, but GM has stated not after 2030.

Put those 2 together and it's unlike GM is doing anything to continue to sell an ICE Camaro, likely after 2026 when a refresh of the CT4 and 5 would be due. They could continue both with mild refresh but not likely based on GM's statements.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by len125 View Post
This is the End - Jim Morrisson....

I hope not of the beloved camaro...but is the handwriting on the wall?

Chevy Camaro Faces Perfect Storm Hindering Production

By ANDY BOLIG JUNE 04, 2021
News of the silicone chip shortage and its effect on automobile production is anything but new, but the issues that face production of the current sixth-generation Camaro go much further than microchips, and are both short- and long-term in nature.

Of course, production and sales have been down across the board for all manufacturers for a variety of reasons. Chevy could have sold a LOT more of the super-hot, mid-engine Corvette than it has to date, save for pesky hindrances such as plant strikes, electrical issues, and oh, and the entire globe getting a serious case of the flu.

Camaro has always been Corvette’s little brother in that the two-seater enjoys status as the brand’s halo vehicle. But that doesn’t make Camaro any lesser of an offering, especially if you have more than one friend who likes to travel with you. It can be argued that Camaro’s woes come more from without than within. As Camaro contends with popular cars such as the Challenger and Mustang, it still tries to draw new owners with a seven-year-old foundation. In our best Yoda voice, “An update they must!” but will they? Not for 2022 at least.

While 2022 order books were opened back in April and production at GM’s Lansing Grand River plant in Lansing, Michigan was slated to begin on June 14, 2021, it appears that date will come and go without a completed 2022 Camaro. That date has reportedly been pushed back to September 20th of this year. With reports that the chip shortage could go on for most of this year, those pesky semiconductors can still be a major part of the equation. The reality of Camaro’s U.S. sales slumping to just under 30,000 units last year, it would make sense for GM to dedicate the limited supply to higher-selling/demand vehicles such as SUVs, trucks, and of course, every C8 Corvette they can produce. Of course, it’s hard to sell cars when folks aren’t allowed, or afraid to enter dealers’ showrooms.

The sixth-gen Camaro enjoys a broad offering, but is it too dated to entice buyers?

A re-fresh always gives a nice shot in the arm to any brand, but there are no such niceties slated for next year’s Camaro. The better question might be, IS there one scheduled? With GM committed to being 100-percent EV by 2035, the clock is ticking for GM to either build a kick-ass, seventh-generation Camaro that burns fuel or bulk up on batteries. The alternative, as some have pontificated, is that the nameplate may go away entirely, as early as 2023, when the current generation had been scheduled to cease production.

This timeline would seem to agree with GM’s recent resolve to drastically increase their EV footprint. It recently announced its Factory ZERO initiative for the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center, where the electric Silverado and GMC HUMMER EV SUV will be produced. GM plans to deliver more than 1 million electric vehicles globally by 2025 and a fresh, next-generation Camaro fits nicely into that timeline. Various automakers have enjoyed strong sales of their more mainstream EV vehicles and with many manufacturers already stating their intention to go all-in on electric, a refresh of our beloved Camaro may be more revolutionary than evolutionary.

Chevrolet revealed this eCOPO Camaro at SEMA in 2018. The all-electric Camaro is capable of nine-second quarter-mile times. In a show of commitment to the brand, the Next Gen Camaro ZL1 race car will make its points-paying debut at next season’s Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida on Feb. 20, 2022.

In the meantime, GM still needs to contend with the short-term struggles of getting new Camaros into owners’ garages. Some of those struggles will inherently be external in nature, but hopefully, the Mother Ship won’t turn out to be Camaro’s worst enemy in the end. As the past year clearly indicates, it’s impossible to guess what might happen, only time will tell.

That's because they're still finishing up the 2021 Camaros. That's why in Sept the 2022 will start. There are still 2021 Camaros waiting to be completed on the lot.

I don't know if I'd want a car that's been sitting idle for months in the elements up there.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Why not? It’s still a new car.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Again, GM is not dropping the Camaro without NASCAR being involved. NASCAR didn't pick up the Camaro 3 years ago just to drop. NASCAR would need at least 5 years to change models and what would they replace it with? If GM does drop the Camaro NASCAR would be the first to know. It took years for them to replace the SS and its sales were worse than the Camaro. The Camaro is dominating the circuit and I think you'll see that in sales once production picks back up.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #6
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
In a word..... Mismanagement over the gm realm. Their global goals have really effed up success in the US market.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I pretty much stopped reading the article when he referred to it as a 'silicone chip shortage'.

smh

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I think it's safe to say the Camaro is doomed until Chevy days it's not. Please no more posts about it until then.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
People been preaching the Camaro's demise since it came back in 2010. Anything and everything is some reason why the Camaro is doomed according to some people. If the wind blows hard enough in effing Wyoming someone will think that means the Camaro's demise.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
In a word..... Mismanagement over the gm realm. Their global goals have really effed up success in the US market.
Unless youre talking about China GM has eliminated all the other markets they were in(Europe, Australia, etc)
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #11
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I think it's safe to say the Camaro is doomed until Chevy days it's not. Please no more posts about it until then.
Sigh… I’m with you.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #12
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Gm is mismanaged.

I know the viz is an issue with the Camaro, I get that, BUT the price is an issue too. The 2SS in many cases cost more than a premium Mustang GT, especially the rag tops. The base model Mustang GT is also a lot cheaper AND dealers carry the base model GTs.

Then you got the Camaro. The equiv is the 2SS which stickers for about 46k on up to past 55k if it's a ragtop. Very few dealers carry the LT1 Camaro, especially the ones priced for about 35k.

So you have the Mustang which most dealers stock better in addition to similar performance numbers and THOUSANDS cheaper, better viz the masses will go for the cheaper.

Then on top of this GM has sh*** incentives and rebates. Even before the shortage, last year when sales were still DEAD over the summer, GM had hardly any incentives for the Camaro. The only one I saw at the time I was looking was $1000 customer cash on 2020 left over models. That's it! At the same time Ford had much better rebates and financing incentives than Chevy.

Dodge also offers VERY good incentives usually too.

So when you think of the masses, (not the small percentage of forum users who love the Camaro) they're going to go for the better deal and price.

This is a big problem. Camaro hasn't sold for awhile. Yet GM takes no action to increase the sales. usually you do something to offer a better deal if you're product isn't selling.

IMO I don't think GM really cares about the Camaro much. That is why hardly any refresh or incentives for the consumer.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #13
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Chevy has been dropping the ball on Camaro the entire run of the Gen 6. Ive actually never seen one commercial on the TV for Camaro. Tons from Chrysler. Some Mustang.
These were never bread and butter cars for them. Its a narrow niche.
Theres a youtube vid of a 2017 ZLE running the Nürburgring. Now thats a TV commercial. I watch it over and over.
I think The Camaro is a better performance car than the Mustang or Challenger.
I think the Challenger is a better drag car for those that run 1/4 mile or like that. Its also bigger. So more room and heavier.
I think the Gen 6s are the best Camaro they ever built and they didnt even try to sell them.
I think its ironic that the chinese own 90% of all the raw material processing necessary for battery production. And in 5 months we have gone from energy independence to no ICE cars after 2030. I dont see anyone building any power plants. So really instead of a car you should be buying a generator. Because the brown outs and black outs are coming in a big way.
I think were all so screwed that the demise of the Camaro will never cross our mind.
I have zero brand loyalty but I do try to buy cars built in America.
So Im driving an F-250, and Dodge products our out. Id love a Mustang. But I like the Camaros better. I didnt see too much difference in price on the ones I looked at. They had a Bullet with a manual I looked at with a sticker of 51. I didnt drive or price it at the time but I liked the look of them. They had a white Mustang vert with auto that was also 53.
But then there it was winter and Chevy had a Coup and a Vert both 2SS. Vert stickered at 53, coup at 47.The wife wanted a vert for years. I would have preferred the coup. Her car... I dealt as hard as I could and paid 47 for the vert. Im thinking theres about No real difference in price paid between the Mustang and Camaro depending on the dealer and area.
If they abandon Camaro again Ill be pissed. Not because of the loss of the car but because of the bungling pencil pushers and political motivations.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #14
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Chevy has been dropping the ball on Camaro the entire run of the Gen 6. Ive actually never seen one commercial on the TV for Camaro. Tons from Chrysler. Some Mustang.
These were never bread and butter cars for them. Its a narrow niche.
Theres a youtube vid of a 2017 ZLE running the Nürburgring. Now thats a TV commercial. I watch it over and over.
I think The Camaro is a better performance car than the Mustang or Challenger.
I think the Challenger is a better drag car for those that run 1/4 mile or like that. Its also bigger. So more room and heavier.
I think the Gen 6s are the best Camaro they ever built and they didnt even try to sell them.
I think its ironic that the chinese own 90% of all the raw material processing necessary for battery production. And in 5 months we have gone from energy independence to no ICE cars after 2030. I dont see anyone building any power plants. So really instead of a car you should be buying a generator. Because the brown outs and black outs are coming in a big way.
I think were all so screwed that the demise of the Camaro will never cross our mind.
I have zero brand loyalty but I do try to buy cars built in America.
So Im driving an F-250, and Dodge products our out. Id love a Mustang. But I like the Camaros better. I didnt see too much difference in price on the ones I looked at. They had a Bullet with a manual I looked at with a sticker of 51. I didnt drive or price it at the time but I liked the look of them. They had a white Mustang vert with auto that was also 53.
But then there it was winter and Chevy had a Coup and a Vert both 2SS. Vert stickered at 53, coup at 47.The wife wanted a vert for years. I would have preferred the coup. Her car... I dealt as hard as I could and paid 47 for the vert. Im thinking theres about No real difference in price paid between the Mustang and Camaro depending on the dealer and area.
If they abandon Camaro again Ill be pissed. Not because of the loss of the car but because of the bungling pencil pushers and political motivations.

The Camaro SS and LT1 is a great 1/4 mile car. better than the Challenger, slightly faster.

I mean, there is a Mustang for everone's price point though. base model 5.0 which is very popular now and you also got loaded premiums and performance packages that go for over 50k. Camaro just LT1 which seems hard to find at many dealers.