Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #29
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
Advertising is not for enthusiasts who know ever bolt in the car like us because we don't need them to buy the car, it's for the regular folks who consist of the majority of sales and keeps cars like ours in production, imagine if Chevy advertised MotorTrend's track time with the 1LE where it put a time that was almost exactly the same as the limited edition, $100k+ M4 CS with a trick cooling system.

The idea is to put the Camaro center front and in everyone's mind, even if it doesn't work directly, it has a subconscious effect and that is worth something, if ads didn't work, companies wouldn't do them, but it looks like GM has different plans for the Camaro, honestly I blame the execs, Ford is controlling the general vehicle market with their 3 new trucks while Dodge has the mainstream performance interest with their branding, while the Camaro is the one loved by all motor magazines and reviewers who again, target enthusiasts.
If only it worked like you think.

The Gen6 was designed to appeal to a group GM trusted as representing the Camaro, the faithful I believe are called.

It was designed specifically to appeal to, well, all the people on this website that assure us visibility is ok ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT. Mpock me when I mention the Gen5 could pretty easily handle two golf bags and even GM told us at launch they paid no attention to rear seat room because “Consumers Reports only gives you 1 point for the rear seat in a coupe regardless of how roomy it is”

It was not designed to appeal to a broader customer base. If it were advertising might actually work like you think. If TV advertising would work for the Camaro, GM would have already done it.

And keep in mind the clear number 1 in the segment also does not advertise.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #30
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If only it worked like you think.

The Gen6 was designed to appeal to a group GM trusted as representing the Camaro, the faithful I believe are called.

It was designed specifically to appeal to, well, all the people on this website that assure us visibility is ok ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT. Mpock me when I mention the Gen5 could pretty easily handle two golf bags and even GM told us at launch they paid no attention to rear seat room because “Consumers Reports only gives you 1 point for the rear seat in a coupe regardless of how roomy it is”

It was not designed to appeal to a broader customer base. If it were advertising might actually work like you think. If TV advertising would work for the Camaro, GM would have already done it.

And keep in mind the clear number 1 in the segment also does not advertise.

There are some good points here, but not having any ads at all certainly won’t help in the least.

Oh, and the clear number one doesn’t need to advertise. That is because they are the original pony car, and created the segment. That is precisely why the Camaro needs to be in an ad or two.

This all being said, I’m not sure any of this will help, and I’m not too concerned, because I have my perfect 6th gen.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:59 PM   #31
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Nice ads... but I could care less how (or if) GM advertises the Camaro. I have mine and that’s all that matters to me. Odd stares, honking horns, thumbs up and positive comments reinforce my perception of the car. It’s different, relatively uncommon and most people appreciate that. For me, add in it’s a hell of a performer, and it’s lights out..
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #32
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Nice ads... but I could care less how (or if) GM advertises the Camaro. I have mine and that’s all that matters to me. Odd stares, honking horns, thumbs up and positive comments reinforce my perception of the car. It’s different, relatively uncommon and most people appreciate that. For me, add in it’s a hell of a performer, and it’s lights out..
I will say it. Glad you have yours. Jut a little help for the others who are waiting.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:30 AM   #33
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
As I mentioned in another topic the Camaro6 is not aimed towards the regular people who just want a good looking daily driver that has space for all of their kids and groceries. But with big tv or internet spots you only reach such a broad audience that won't fit your target audience.

These people would not like the small windows, the limited trunk and rear seat space, no matter what performance time the car can deliver. Instead Chevrolet markets the car in a different way: As a pace car and showing the car at race events, where most people are actually car enthusiasts.

We can all argue if their strategy is working or not. But what most people don't get is creating a videospot is expensive and airing them at good times costs multipe million dollars easily. The average 30 seconds spot on national tv costs $115,000 for every single time it airs.

Let's say they create a spot and air it for a few weeks for 5 million dollars. Let's also say the average sold Camaro makes $1,000 profit for GM. Just to make the tv spot profitable it must lead to more than 5,000 sold Camaros. I think it's pretty fair to say that even the best spot in the worlds won't result in that many direct car sales.

A spot can push the value of your brand and increase your overall sales on all cars, so Ford can throw in the Mustang since it's the best name they have. That's why they have to slap it on their EV to get a marketshare. Remember this was not a "Let's create an EV Mustang" move but a "Nobody cares about our EV if it's called Fusion". But the Camaro is not the halo car for GM. That's why it the article that want to claim Chevy might build a Camaro EV SUV too are more than laughable. They have other big hyped cars now from Hummer, Lyriq to Corvette that will people get into the showrooms. A friggin 9,000 pounds pickup with all that crazy tech that can accelerate as fast as the Corvette and still get a seal for environmentally friendly - That's how you do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt227 View Post
I get the Corvette, especially a C8 sells itself.
They made a huge launch event with inviting tons of people. Then they hold a whole press week in Las Vegas where they gave hundreds of journalists the car and even let them track them. Afterwards they made a big roadshow across the USA to send out C8s and all the showroom stuff with wheels, color palettes, seats, etc to dealers to let as much people as possible get their hands on the car. And they still advertise the Corvette at racetracks alongside the Camaro, it was just used to pace Daytona. You can also count in that they hide all of their camod C8 prototypes in pretty plain sight to gain new "another Z06 or Hybrid C8 spotted" articles every other week.

The Corvette does not sell itself, Chevy invested tons of money to create this hype. This is how perfect marketing looks like since most people don't even recognize what is happening but still it creates the "someday I want a Corvette too" urge.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #34
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
First, I find it funny that everyone that saw zero advertising and bought a Camaro are all here championing the need for advertising.
Actually, I would not of bought my Camaro if I hadn't rented one for a road trip.
It was pure luck that I did, and even then, the rental company almost choked and put me in another ride. Wasn't even in the market for a new car. Drove it for a week and was hooked.

Conversely, I DID buy my 1995 Impala SS because I seen/drooled over several ads in car magazines at the time and knew I had to have one.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #35

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It's been basically the same no-advertising the Camaro scenario for years and years, well before the inevitable EV mantra and end of ICE production by GM announcements.

These Camaros have no place in the EV future of GM and doubt if they will see any new type of promotions or advertising....What would be the point? Low sales and low demand will only justify the switch to electric. Then you will perhaps see dedicated EV Camaro television ads.

GM does spend a fortune advertising Cadillac on TV. Those are either low sales models or haven't even been built or offered for sale yet...lol....Go figure.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #36
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
I'd rather see GM bring their design teams back from the dead. The C8 is the ONLY car made by gm today that passes muster according to sales numbers. Yes, even our beloved gen 6 Camaro needs a redesign.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #37
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Yes, even our beloved gen 6 Camaro needs a redesign.
I was hoping for a complete departure from the 5th gen with the design. Granted, I love my '17 but something entirely new without the retro gimmick is overdue.

As far as the commercial goes, a minute and a half with little-to-no dialogue seems odd for a commercial. Looks more like a presentation video or some flair for a show or something.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)

Last edited by gpskinzhut; 06-21-2021 at 02:15 PM.
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #38
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
It's been basically the same no-advertising the Camaro scenario for years and years, well before the inevitable EV mantra and end of ICE production by GM announcements.

These Camaros have no place in the EV future of GM and doubt if they will see any new type of promotions or advertising....What would be the point? Low sales and low demand will only justify the switch to electric. Then you will perhaps see dedicated EV Camaro television ads.

GM does spend a fortune advertising Cadillac on TV. Those are either low sales models or haven't even been built or offered for sale yet...lol....Go figure.
Because Cadillac isn't better than the competition, and the only people who have an attachment to the Cadillac brand and name are dropping like flies due to old age.

I'm clearly biased, we all here are, but by almost every metric I've seen the Camaro is a better car than the Mustang and Challenger, the latter has its own niche because it has usable back seat, is comfier because it's riding on a Mercedes platform (more of a GT car), and has a more dragster, straight line focused halo around it which means people don't expect nor care that it can corner like the Camaro or Mustang.

Great cars, all of them, we're living in peak ICE (and also witnessing its death), but the Mustang wouldn't be as good as it is today (GT350/500) without the Camaro.

As someone mentioned before, GM invested a lot of resources for the C8, and it paid off... Only for Covid and chip shortage to F everything up, BUT the hype is still there, otherwise they wouldn't be selling for 6 figures 2nd hand, GT350 and GT500 had dealer markups since day 1, Dodge pivoted the Hellcat and their V8 branding towards absolutely everything, Camaro? On the chopping block, AGAIN.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #39
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
They made a huge launch event with inviting tons of people. Then they hold a whole press week in Las Vegas where they gave hundreds of journalists the car and even let them track them. Afterwards they made a big roadshow across the USA to send out C8s and all the showroom stuff with wheels, color palettes, seats, etc to dealers to let as much people as possible get their hands on the car. And they still advertise the Corvette at racetracks alongside the Camaro, it was just used to pace Daytona. You can also count in that they hide all of their camod C8 prototypes in pretty plain sight to gain new "another Z06 or Hybrid C8 spotted" articles every other week.

I was invited to the roadshow when the C8 was in Southwest Florida. It was alright. Line to get in the car was like waiting at Disney World to get on a ride. They wouldn't start the car and they ushered you out in about 30 seconds. Overall the display and presentation were neat. After buying 7 Corvettes new from 2010-2019, my dealer still cannot get me one. On the list but 12-18 months out still. So in February I ordered a 2SS 1LE. Well we all know how that worked out. Just gotta wait it out. Want a big gas motor in a pony car before we have to plug it in like a cellphone at night.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #40
rocknss

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS
Awesome commercial!!!
2001 Chevy Camaro SS (sold)
1969 Chevy Suburban (restoration project)
rocknss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:57 AM   #41
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Those commercials take me back to my teenage years when Chevy had the "Heartbeat of America" campaign and the Camaro was the center of it all.

Those commercials could come on at 1 o'clock in the morning and you'd want to run to your nearest Chevy dealer and sit and wait for them to open the next day just to drive one of them.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:04 AM   #42
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

Thing about GM's decision to go all electric is that they're really not letting the market dictate their product. Experts I've read are saying no one can even build an EV right now and sell it for less than $50k without losing money. How's GM going to make affordable cars and still make a profit on them?

Also, not everyone is on board with EV. I don't know any of my friends or family who want one. The company that continues to offer regular gasoline V6 and V8 engines that are not hybrids will be the one who makes the most profit 20 years from now, mark my words.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote