Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Towel lint and static with blackfire si02

I'm having some issues with my towels. Today I applied a coat of Blackfire si02 sealant today and the towels just seem to be dragging when buffing the sealant off the car. I'm using a microfiber brick to apply the si02. But when buffing it off I get white lint buildup in spots on the car panels, very annoying.

Can someone share there fool proof towel washing process? I use liquid detergent, no softener, warm wash, extra rinse. I add a bit of white vinegar too. I dry them on cool with water mist to reduce static. What am I doing wrong?

I also don't really feel the blackfire is as slick as I'd like it to be. I'm thinking of maybe trying the meguiars ceramic wax next time. I'm open to suggestions here too.

Thanks.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Just a guess: Skip the vinegar. Acids tend to stick things together and it might be binding the lint to the towel instead of letting it come off in the dryer.

If the towels are very old, try new ones. The fibers just might be fraying from wear.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Use a very high thick GSM MF towel, I use the Bluewhale from Microfibertech for wiping off sealants, works awesome!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
Kmeleon

Ok! thanks guys for the suggestions!
Old 11-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
BlakeR
😁😁😁😁😁

Drives: 1ss
I have the same problem with one certain product from a different company. It's the only product I use that attracts lint to the car. I use a waffle weave drying towel to buff, soft, but not plush with long fibers.
BlakeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I air dry my MF seems that your cleaning is good for typically recommended MF. Make sure there's not a dryer sheet in there, too.

Lint is usually a flaw of cheap MF and/or the dual sided versions with the longer nap. WalMart type MF even "premium" works for a lot of things but fine finishing it's poor at.

When I buff a product like this I use a new MF, once they're washed I only spot dry or relegate them down to wheels and tires, exhaust tips, etc

Washed MF does work pretty well on paint but the best finish I try to use a new MF.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeR View Post
I have the same problem with one certain product from a different company. It's the only product I use that attracts lint to the car. I use a waffle weave drying towel to buff, soft, but not plush with long fibers.
I'm pretty sure the towels I'm currently using are from the rag company. They're long fibers on one side only. I'm going to be investing in some new towels for polishing for next year.

I thought waffle weaves are best for drying, longer microfiber nap for polishing? I do use guzzlers for drying, they work well.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I've had good success with 500gsm Eagle Edgeless 16"x16" towels from The Rag Company.

I also dilute my detail spray to avoid streaking (which may also help avoid it being sticky).

Quick Detail Magic Elixir:
1 part Carpro Ech2O
4 parts Carpro Reload
20 parts Distilled Water

I also spray the rag and wipe the car. That way 1) the rag is lubricated and never drags on the paint, and 2) I don't get overspray all over the car.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
I would try a waffle weave as was implied above. That usually works for me when the towel is sticking. That could be an atmospheric thing too- too much moisture in the air causes the towel to drag.

Linting is a sign of either a cheap towel or a very new towel - even some of my very plush TRC towels linted a little at first.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Kmeleon

Thank for all the advice, I'm going to try some new, higher quality towels and revamp my washing machine and drying routine.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #11
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Are you washing your MF with any natural fibers? If you're washing with terry cloth, any cotton, etc the MF will attract and trap the lint fibers, then release them when you're working with liquids or against a smooth surface.

MF towels must be washed completely separate, and no fabric softener. If any of this has been violated with your MF towels, buy new ones and start over.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote