Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I admit I was wrong - Drove a Hell Cat (Pics Inside)

I have stood very firm regarding GM chasing HP. I felt there was no need and we should stick to making all around sports cars. I argued with a few folks in this forum about how 700 HP was ridiculous and the 6 Gen wouldn't need that much. Drove a Hell Cat yesterday with the red fob and I was completely blown away!!! This car drove extremely well and handled way better than I ever expected from a Dodge. Moving forward I will say before we really start comparing cars, we should at least drive them if we can before making a firm assessment. I'm seriously considering this car as my next. This car went from not even on my radar to the top of my list. I want to see how the Scat Pak drives now..

Pics below in thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415737

Last edited by sonnydurden; 07-12-2015 at 07:01 AM.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I recently test drove a '15 Scat Pack Challenger with the 392 with the A8 (very similar to the 8L90 being put into the '16 Camaro) and I have to say that was a really nice car. Fabulous stock sound, great low end grunt, and a pretty nice interior as compared to my '12 5.0. I've driven manuals all my life, but the 8L90 in a buddies vette at work, and the A8 in that Scat Pack make me think todays new generation of automatics really wouldn't have me missing rowing my own

I'm a car guy, with no real hard and fast loyalty (my dad is a Ford guy, had some Mustangs, and my uncle was a Mopar guy, with a 340 Dart) so I just want something with the best balance of power / speed / comfort and that "it" factor.

That said, I'm chomping at the bit for a '16 SS Convertible with MRC. I'm pretty sure it's what I'll end up buying as the wife really likes it, too. A8 or M6 still to be determined.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
I recently test drove a '15 Scat Pack Challenger with the 392 with the A8 (very similar to the 8L90 being put into the '16 Camaro) and I have to say that was a really nice car. Fabulous stock sound, great low end grunt, and a pretty nice interior as compared to my '12 5.0. I've driven manuals all my life, but the 8L90 in a buddies vette at work, and the A8 in that Scat Pack make me think todays new generation of automatics really wouldn't have me missing rowing my own

I'm a car guy, with no real hard and fast loyalty (my dad is a Ford guy, had some Mustangs, and my uncle was a Mopar guy, with a 340 Dart) so I just want something with the best balance of power / speed / comfort and that "it" factor.

That said, I'm chomping at the bit for a '16 SS Convertible with MRC. I'm pretty sure it's what I'll end up buying as the wife really likes it, too. A8 or M6 still to be determined.
Once I jumped back into American cars I said I would be loyal to GM. But now Dodge has really peaked my interest. Good to know that you really liked the Scat Pack. I'm really considering that too! It seems like it has some bang without spending the buck you spend in the Hell Cat.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Challenger is great if it's your only car and if you want a cruiser. I love the car, but the weight is definitely felt. As far as horsepower goes, remember that the next GT500 or ZL1 will not weigh 4,500 pounds.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Looks great. I'd love the B5 blue.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Definition of dodge: to avoid
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Challenger is great if it's your only car and if you want a cruiser. I love the car, but the weight is definitely felt. As far as horsepower goes, remember that the next GT500 or ZL1 will not weigh 4,500 pounds.
I was bashing the Hell Cat based on what I saw on paper.. But this car feels surprisingly good!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Davy_Baby9

Drives: Duramax
People who don't think the scat pack and hellcat are nice machines are the ones with their heads in the sand going lalalalala, haha. B5 blue looks beautiful in person. That said, I still would rather have a new Camaro. Lighter on it's feet alone would be worth it. But the Scat Pack has definitely moved up to #2 on my list if for whatever reason I don't like the Camaro after test driving one.
Davy_Baby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 View Post
People who don't think the scat pack and hellcat are nice machines are the ones with their heads in the sand going lalalalala, haha. B5 blue looks beautiful in person. That said, I still would rather have a new Camaro. Lighter on it's feet alone would be worth it. But the Scat Pack has definitely moved up to #2 on my list if for whatever reason I don't like the Camaro after test driving one.

I feel exactly the same way.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
sonnydurden

Quote:
True.. 6 Gen Camaro, Hell Cats, Scat Packs, Stingrays, ATS-V.. Too much for a person to choose!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Because someone doesn't agree with your opinion their head is in the sand? Wow.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
I was bashing the Hell Cat based on what I saw on paper.. But this car feels surprisingly good!!!
It should feel good...it's got 700hp and can run low 11s all day. Remember too the Hellcat has all the premium suspension bits. It handles better than a stock 5th gen. All that makes its heft not feel so bad. I like the Scat Pack cars too, and I've said if I have to get a 4 door it will be a charger one. The new GT500 is probably going to neuter the Hellcat though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I just don't need 700 HP to get back and forth to the golf course or around town... or to anywhere else, for that matter. It's ridiculous that it is even possible to buy a street machine with that much HP. You don't need it. You shouldn't use it. It's just ridiculous.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
You get used to it. My car now is in the high 11 second range, judging from the cars I've raced and while it's quick and sometimes feels "pretty fast" I don't consider it a legitimately fast car.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote