Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
17camaroSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
Ready for the track

Ok, I just finished up with the Carlyle brake kit and putting the dark stars on. Now my question is, what’s the best way to launch the car? It’s a stock car with a muffler delete. So would launch straight off idle or bringing it up to 1200-1500 work best? Picture of the car since I can’t get over the look lol.
Attached Images

17camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Looks good!

Question - If I'm seeing right in the pics- Why did you go slicks w/ skinnies on stock performance?

Most go the other way with performance mods first and then stickier tires when they can no longer get good traction on street tires or drag radials. I think by your comments you car is an A8. I am not familiar with the results for launching a A8 on slicks but most on this forum go drag radial with the auto. My car is a M6 and I would fear potential drive line damage using stock half shafts and drive shaft if I launched with slicks on a prepped track.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 02-08-2020 at 01:26 PM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
17camaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Looks good!

Question - If I'm seeing right in the pics- Why did you go slicks w/ skinnies on stock performance?

Most go the other way with performance mods first and then stickier tires when they can no longer get good traction on street tires or drag radials. I think by your comments you car is an A8. I am not familiar with the results for launching a A8 on slicks but most on this forum go drag radial with the auto. My car is a M6 and I would fear potential drive line damage using stock half shafts and drive shaft if I launched with slicks on a prepped track.
Thanks! They were on the wheels when I bought them. Also the bigs and littles drop weight, less drag, etc. But I’ll be getting another set of rear wheels to run a radial. I do a lot of no prep too so that’s the reason for a stiffwall. Yea it’s an a8 also. A slick will also cushion the hit/shock that the drive line takes from the hit over the radial. I’ll be running an ET street radial pro over the other set of wheels. I’m coming from the 4th gen LS world so just trying to see if it’s any different over that.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
17camaroSS

Mainly just looking to see what I can do with the car the way it sits. The bigs and littles even on a stock car will gain a good bit.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
DapperDan

Drives: 2017 1SS A8 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17camaroSS View Post
Thanks! They were on the wheels when I bought them. Also the bigs and littles drop weight, less drag, etc. But I’ll be getting another set of rear wheels to run a radial. I do a lot of no prep too so that’s the reason for a stiffwall. Yea it’s an a8 also. A slick will also cushion the hit/shock that the drive line takes from the hit over the radial. I’ll be running an ET street radial pro over the other set of wheels. I’m coming from the 4th gen LS world so just trying to see if it’s any different over that.
Sounds like you already have this stuff figured out.
Stock car seems to leave harder off the idle .
Old 02-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Mainly just looking to see what I can do with the car the way it sits. The bigs and littles even on a stock car will gain a good bit.
Good stuff! Sounds like you have a solid plan and know where you are headed. I was just curious.

Good luck and i hope you hit your goals.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #7
17camaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Sounds like you already have this stuff figured out.
Stock car seems to leave harder off the idle .
Ok, sweet. Thanks, I just wasn’t too sure of the irs was any different than sra when launching.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #8
17camaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Good stuff! Sounds like you have a solid plan and know where you are headed. I was just curious.

Good luck and i hope you hit your goals.
Yea and thanks man! Hoping so also! I’m also going to run the 1/4 mile timer the car has while going down the track to see how accurate it is. Can’t really find a lot about that subject. I’ve seen one thread where’s it got brought up, but didn’t get a clear answer really lol.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
I’m coming from the 4th gen LS world so just trying to see if it’s any different over that.
the biggest difference i’ve noticed is that these cars hook, hard. what size tire? tqm does whatever it wants, as they are not airflow based. i know the stick cars hit harder, but mine needs a little spin on the street to be competitive, otherwise it bogs it’s way to 2nd gear.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #10
17camaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
the biggest difference i’ve noticed is that these cars hook, hard. what size tire? tqm does whatever it wants, as they are not airflow based. i know the stick cars hit harder, but mine needs a little spin on the street to be competitive, otherwise it bogs it’s way to 2nd gear.
It’s a 26x10r15 tire. On the street, the car hooks really well with just a light haze of the rear tires. Once I see what it runs the way it sits and compare the timer on the car to the one at the track I’ll be doing my GPI cam, stock ported heads, hi ram, converter, bolt on’s, and e85. One I do that, I’ll be switching to a 28 QTP or c07 for the no prep stuff and run the Et Street radial pro for the track and street driving since I don’t drive very for work or to the track when it’s open.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
s346k

Quote:
It’s a 26x10r15 tire. On the street, the car hooks really well with just a light haze of the rear tires. Once I see what it runs the way it sits and compare the timer on the car to the one at the track I’ll be doing my GPI cam, stock ported heads, hi ram, converter, bolt on’s, and e85. One I do that, I’ll be switching to a 28 QTP or c07 for the no prep stuff and run the Et Street radial pro for the track and street driving since I don’t drive very for work or to the track when it’s open.
did you do the carlyle conversion or fab something yourself? what track do you go to?
Old 02-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #12
17camaroSS

Quote:
did you do the carlyle conversion or fab something yourself? what track do you go to?
Yea, I did the Carlyle kit. Us41 in Morocco, IN. I’m like 45 minutes from there, I see you’re in IN also. I go to Indy every once in a while but can only get a couple of passes in and all of my cars have always ran faster at 41.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
s346k

Quote:
Yea, I did the Carlyle kit. Us41 in Morocco, IN. I’m like 45 minutes from there, I see you’re in IN also. I go to Indy every once in a while but can only get a couple of passes in and all of my cars have always ran faster at 41.
yeah, irp is the slowest of the tracks i’ve raced here. muncie being the fastest. personally, i like hitting the no name 1/8 mi tracks, there are plenty of them. the first 1/8 is the hardest, rinse and repeat after that. even on a bracket sunday i could get 5-7 passes in, presuming i go out in the first round.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #14
17camaroSS

Quote:
yeah, irp is the slowest of the tracks i’ve raced here. muncie being the fastest. personally, i like hitting the no name 1/8 mi tracks, there are plenty of them. the first 1/8 is the hardest, rinse and repeat after that. even on a bracket sunday i could get 5-7 passes in, presuming i go out in the first round.
Yea, I’ve tried Muncie. It was faster than Indy, but still slower than 41. I’ve been to some of the 1/8 mile tracks but never ran them. Only ever ran 1/8 mile in no prep events. I’ll be going to bunker this year though with the event they put on.