Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 08-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #15
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
Info from here and AutoGeek. Also, there is a very good detail shop near me that recommends and uses Opti-Coat. Might just have them do it and save myself the trouble. Just got back from vacation at the beach. Car is filthy. Bugs, sand, thunderstorm residue. Needs a complete detail before any coating anyway. Maybe another birthday present to self is in order.
No contest. Opticoat that the pro's use is way better than opticoat you can buy and wolfgang.

I had opticoat on my BMW, here it is 3 years after application. MONEY.

Here's a couple pics of Wolfgang on my Truck and my Camaro -

cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #16
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
No contest. Opticoat that the pro's use is way better than opticoat you can buy and wolfgang.

I had opticoat on my BMW, here it is 3 years after application. MONEY.

Here's a couple pics of Wolfgang on my Truck and my Camaro -
Wow. They all look great. The finish on the BMW after 3 years just sealed the deal. Gift to self it is. Thanks for sharing the photos.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #17
cleoent

Quote:
Wow. They all look great. The finish on the BMW after 3 years just sealed the deal. Gift to self it is. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Yep, really a no brainer. Only reason I didn't opticoat this time around was because he's 90 minutes away from me now (we've both moved) and it would have been tough to give him the car for two days.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #18
Picks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
I've had Opticoat on mine for about 2 months now. I absolutely love it. Cleaning is a breeze, beads water and never have to wax it.
Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #19
Hyper16

Got an appointment for Saturday. Opti-Coat Professional on the Camaro and a little detailing for the Toyota Corolla 'stealth car'.

Might have to get wife's hybrid detailed too. She'll like that.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
I've never had a car coated. I was under the impression that only washing or spray detailing was necessary. What aftercare products should I be concerned about?
After care products that work well with coated cars contain no waxes or polymers. You can stay within the product line of mix it up if you use the correct products. Here is what I have found to work well. Car is coated with Kamikaze Miyabi coat, topped with Zamikaze Infinity wax. Infinity wax is designed to be used over coatings.

Waterless, or Rinseless wash. Meguires D114 can be mixed at various ratios to do either. It leaves nothing behind at all is the best product I have used so far for that style of washing. I have gone few a few to arrive at that conclusion.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rin...ress-wash.html

For the traditional 2 bucket wash I have found these two product to work very well. The are both designed for coated cars.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-reset.html

my favorite.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-bathe-plus/

For spray boosters there are a couple of products I really like.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikazi-over-coat/

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-cure/

Best of luck with your coating, Your going to like it.

Keep in mind though a proper wash method is still crucial to keeping it looking best, so no automatic washes, and at a minimum two bucket washing with top notch products. Most of the swirls on a coated car will come from the drying process. There you can either blow dry it, blot dry it, or use a coating booster as a drying aid if wipe drying. In any case use the best of the best microfibers, and take care of them and swirling will be minimized.

Using traditional products has a tendency to haze, or streak, as well as interfere with the coating surface tension properties.
Attached Images

Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #21
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
After care products that work well with coated cars contain no waxes or polymers. You can stay within the product line of mix it up if you use the correct products. Here is what I have found to work well. Car is coated with Kamikaze Miyabi coat, topped with Zamikaze Infinity wax. Infinity wax is designed to be used over coatings.

Waterless, or Rinseless wash. Meguires D114 can be mixed at various ratios to do either. It leaves nothing behind at all is the best product I have used so far for that style of washing. I have gone few a few to arrive at that conclusion.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rin...ress-wash.html

For the traditional 2 bucket wash I have found these two product to work very well. The are both designed for coated cars.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-reset.html

my favorite.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-bathe-plus/

For spray boosters there are a couple of products I really like.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikazi-over-coat/

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-cure/

Best of luck with your coating, Your going to like it.

Keep in mind though a proper wash method is still crucial to keeping it looking best, so no automatic washes, and at a minimum two bucket washing with top notch products. Most of the swirls on a coated car will come from the drying process. There you can either blow dry it, blot dry it, or use a coating booster as a drying aid if wipe drying. In any case use the best of the best microfibers, and take care of them and swirling will be minimized.

Using traditional products has a tendency to haze, or streak, as well as interfere with the coating surface tension properties.
Thanks for the info. The Opti-Coat Pro comes with a 5 year warranty so I think I will stay within the product line. Just talked to the detail shop owner. He had a cancellation and will do my Camaro tomorrow. Also got an update from UPS. My Roto-Fab CAI will be here tomorrow afternoon. Going to be a busy day. Can't wait.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #22
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The Opti-Coat Pro comes with a 5 year warranty so I think I will stay within the product line. Just talked to the detail shop owner. He had a cancellation and will do my Camaro tomorrow. Also got an update from UPS. My Roto-Fab CAI will be here tomorrow afternoon. Going to be a busy day. Can't wait.
That is a wise choice. Just use their aftercare products, and proper technique and your all set.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #23
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Does anyone know can wolfgang, go over stripes? Specifically the 50th Anniversary matte/gloss orange stripes?

Also, my car is being delivered next week, if i tell the dealer to not wax it, can I get away with a simple strip wash and then use wolfgang?
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #24
Hyper16

Had Opti-Coat Pro applied. Pricey but worth it. Marques Samuda (Samuda Detailing) out of Frederick, Maryland applied product after completely decontaminating and de-waxing the car. Looks awesome. Marques did an excellent job. We took a bunch of photos but they do not do it justice.

Name:  Camaro 08-2016.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  453.0 KB

Name:  Camaro 8-2016(2).jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  442.8 KB

Last edited by Hyper16; 08-24-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #25
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post
Does anyone know can wolfgang, go over stripes? Specifically the 50th Anniversary matte/gloss orange stripes?

Also, my car is being delivered next week, if i tell the dealer to not wax it, can I get away with a simple strip wash and then use wolfgang?
Your going to need iron x and probably light correction.
As far as coating stripes I would not. All coatings need to be polished off at the end of life. A product like blackfire crystal seal would be better for vinal stripes. If it were me I would tape them off before coating.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:52 PM   #26
cleoent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post

You'll be fine coating the stripes. Depending on your level of perfection you can polish or not. I didn't on my camaro. I couldn't find any imperfections in paint.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #27
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
You'll be fine coating the stripes. Depending on your level of perfection you can polish or not. I didn't on my camaro. I couldn't find any imperfections in paint.
To find imperfections you need the correct lighting and various levels of lighting. If the dealer has touched the paint they will have done something. The problem with coatings is if you happen to spot something that does not show up in bright light, it may show up in low light levels, like at sunset.
Spotted after coating you either live with it or repolish the entire panel and coat again.
If your going to inspect I suggest viewing the paint at various light levels, different angles, and use painters tape to tag areas that need attention.

Your car was also likely shipped by rail, so there is going to be rail dust that you can't see all over it, thus the recommendation or Iron X, or similar product for decon.

And yes stripes can be coated, but I am bothered by the fact that later it must be polished off of the vinyl, and in the case of some coatings sanded off. I still recommend using a sealant over those in the long run.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #28
cleoent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
To find imperfections you need the correct lighting and various levels of lighting. If the dealer has touched the paint they will have done something. The problem with coatings is if you happen to spot something that does not show up in bright light, it may show up in low light levels, like at sunset.
Spotted after coating you either live with it or repolish the entire panel and coat again.
If your going to inspect I suggest viewing the paint at various light levels, different angles, and use painters tape to tag areas that need attention.

Your car was also likely shipped by rail, so there is going to be rail dust that you can't see all over it, thus the recommendation or Iron X, or similar product for decon.

And yes stripes can be coated, but I am bothered by the fact that later it must be polished off of the vinyl, and in the case of some coatings sanded off. I still recommend using a sealant over those in the long run.
This isn't my first rodeo, but appreciate your insight. I of course looked for imperfections in every different level of light and could find nothing. I'm lucky that my car was not dealer prepped, and I'm sure that saved me some headaches.

If there are imperfections, and I can't see them, I'm prepared to completely live with them.

I have yet to hear of a coating that requires sanding, but some of the professional coatings, like CeramicPro 9h, Opticoat, do require a polish, which is likely vinyl safe. It will be all good. I'd have no hesitation whatsoever coating vinyl.

OP, if you want to be super sure, just reach out to mike at Autogeek and get his thoughts. He may say it is the worst idea since the invention of the mustang.