Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Drag Race Discussion and Bench Race Thread

Here you go, chat away.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
Merc
In The Circle

Mlee can you sticky this thread when you get a chance.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #3
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Racing is good
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Let's get this party started
Name:  roll.png
Views: 2435
Size:  310.5 KB

Last edited by Snowblind; 05-30-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
Merc
In The Circle

No 4 or 6 cylinder Guy's going out to the track?

Old 06-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Let's get this party started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post

Definitely need to see some times here. Tracks up North should be going strong now.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post

Will do my best to get a dragstrip in before they close up here. Won't guarantee super numbers haven't been in over 6 years now.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Won't happen for me till next year now... Fully plan on posting numbers once i get them though
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I have plenty of numbers, probably more than most with a best of 12.405 with a +200 June Atco DA. Only a so-so time. It's all about the 60'. My best 60' on the stock tires was 1.93 something.

So what I want to know is the best approach to launching a SS M6? I have recently heard the fastest M6 ETs were done by using the Camaro launch control and being very careful not to spin the tires in the launch. My testing with Launch Control was slower than not using it the same night.

One more question. Some seem to think the SS has no lift shifting. But Chevy does not advertise this. Is this possible? I loved that on my ZL1.

And yet one more question. What is the best looking way to incorporate a shift light into the CA6? The HUD sort of works but I know I m not as consistent as when I had a light.

Help!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So what I want to know is the best approach to launching a SS M6? I have recently heard the fastest M6 ETs were done by using the Camaro launch control and being very careful not to spin the tires in the launch. My testing with Launch Control was slower than not using it the same night.
I only have a few passes on these cars so far via friends car (mine as you can see is on order), I actually found it kinda easy to launch on a prepped track. I did try launch control once, as the owners manual said to use it, and went a tenth slower. BUT, since then some have seemed to figure out a trick as I posted in your other thread. There was discussion on this in a few places, and it seemed to work most of the time. Use the launch control, but don't drop the clutch, let it out progressively seems to be the ticket. As that doesn't cut timing, but still allows you to just keep it floored on the launch as appose to having to feather/modulate it. Give it a shot, if done right it seems to help...I plan on giving it a go.

Quote:
One more question. Some seem to think the SS has no lift shifting. But Chevy does not advertise this. Is this possible? I loved that on my ZL1.
From what I have been hearing all the '16-Up SS's have it. One tuner even chimed in and said the software was there and enabled. But, I mean you have a '16 SS, so just go try it...worse comes to worse if you don't you power shift a few gears, no biggie...

Quote:
And yet one more question. What is the best looking way to incorporate a shift light into the CA6? The HUD sort of works but I know I m not as consistent as when I had a light.
I thought I read the HUD had an actual shift light? Maybe it has to be turned on? Or was just for the SS 1LE's or ZL1's?
Old 10-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I only have a few passes on these cars so far via friends car (mine as you can see is on order), I actually found it kinda easy to launch on a prepped track. I did try launch control once, as the owners manual said to use it, and went a tenth slower. BUT, since then some have seemed to figure out a trick as I posted in your other thread. There was discussion on this in a few places, and it seemed to work most of the time. Use the launch control, but don't drop the clutch, let it out progressively seems to be the ticket. As that doesn't cut timing, but still allows you to just keep it floored on the launch as appose to having to feather/modulate it. Give it a shot, if done right it seems to help...I plan on giving it a go.

From what I have been hearing all the '16-Up SS's have it. One tuner even chimed in and said the software was there and enabled. But, I mean you have a '16 SS, so just go try it...worse comes to worse if you don't you power shift a few gears, no biggie...

I thought I read the HUD had an actual shift light? Maybe it has to be turned on? Or was just for the SS 1LE's or ZL1's?
Thanks! The SS Hud has no shift light unless that changed in 2017. My ZL1 had it and it and was pretty much useless. For me I need to set the shift light to anticiapte my shift reaction. I can hook one up easy enough. I have the Rotofab plug on my firewall. It's just I would want something that looks good. On my 1LE I hade a shift light just taped on the dash, but in that car there were guages all over the place.

Drag racing a 1LE is not its forte. Genrally on the 5h gens 1LEs were slower than standard SSes. That may not apply on the CA6, but the last ZL1 and 1LE Goodyears were awful at the drags. That I know, I had faster 60's on the 5th gen Pirellis and the CA6 runflats.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Thanks! The SS Hud has no shift light unless that changed in 2017. My ZL1 had it and it and was pretty much useless. For me I need to set the shift light to anticiapte my shift reaction. I can hook one up easy enough. I have the Rotofab plug on my firewall. It's just I would want something that looks good. On my 1LE I hade a shift light just taped on the dash, but in that car there were guages all over the place.

Drag racing a 1LE is not its forte. Genrally on the 5h gens 1LEs were slower than standard SSes. That may not apply on the CA6, but the last ZL1 and 1LE Goodyears were awful at the drags. That I know, I had faster 60's on the 5th gen Pirellis and the CA6 runflats.

I had these shift lights in a few past cars: https://www.raptorperformance.com

Motor Trend has already matched their best manual 0-60 and 1/4 mile with their only SS 1LE test so far, and that was on an unprepped runway with a clutch dump. I see the SS 1LE's being about a tenth quicker once an average is established due to the wider, stickier, non run flats and the e-diff. Even though going straight isn't the cars forte.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #13
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I had these shift lights in a few past cars: https://www.raptorperformance.com

Motor Trend has already matched their best manual 0-60 and 1/4 mile with their only SS 1LE test so far, and that was on an unprepped runway with a clutch dump. I see the SS 1LE's being about a tenth quicker once an average is established due to the wider, stickier, non run flats and the e-diff. Even though going straight isn't the cars forte.
This was not the case with the 5th gens. I can't see how the e-diff will help. So maybe best case for the 1LE is just as fast. Time will tell.

A stock CA6 M6 SS has gone 12.280 here. Very few people will drag race the 1LE.

I still have the top 1LE 5th gen bolton time, 12.358, LOL. The best standard M6 was 11.6.

12.733 was the fastest stock 1LE time to 12.588 non 1LE LS3 .

One of the big problems on the 5th gen 1LE was the gearing which required a shift to 4th. The CA6 M6 SSes, both 1LE and non 1LE are geared exactly like the 5th gen 1LE except a 3.73 gear versus a 3.91 on the 5th gen. I think a 4.10 would do wonders for the current M6 SS.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #14
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
This was not the case with the 5th gens. I can't see how the e-diff will help. So maybe best case for the 1LE is just as fast. Time will tell.
Comparing the 5th gen 1LE (which had different gearing than a regular SS) to a 5th gen SS is like comparing apples to oranges. New car, same gearing and better tires than a regular SS. The e-diff puts power down better too, mainly out of a corner, but that could possibly help straight line traction too, especially on a less than favorable surface. Motor Trend has tested three manual SS's, two of which at a their usual testing facility, and their single SS 1LE test, not on a favorable surface, matched their best 0-60 and 1/4 mile from the other tests. That says something to me...

Plus, Chevrolet rates the SS 1LE a tenth quicker to 60 in their literature.

Quote:
A stock CA6 M6 SS has gone 12.280 here. Very few people will drag race the 1LE.
I will be drag racing mine, and I know three others buying the car, who also will drag race it. Mine will see the drag strip and autocross track...

Quote:
I think a 4.10 would do wonders for the current M6 SS.
I agree...but it may require more shifting on track, which is not really want you want. But a gear swap is on my radar. I just want someone else to be the guinea pig...