Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #85
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I dilute it because I don’t put it on when the car is wet, I put it on after I get home from the car wash, the car is already dried, so I wanted just a topical spray. I’d probably put on full strength I was putting it on a wet car to use as a drying agent. But Many more people here are saying that it,streaks if it’s not diluted, no matter what… This is another one of those situations you have to play around with it , to figure out what works for you.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #86
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I dilute it because I don’t put it on when the car is wet, I put it on after I get home from the car wash, the car is already dried, so I wanted just a topical spray. I’d probably put on full strength I was putting it on a wet car to use as a drying agent. But Many more people here are saying that it,streaks if it’s not diluted, no matter what… This is another one of those situations you have to play around with it , to figure out what works for you.
Okay, I applied the stuff this afternoon doing it full strength like in the Meguiar's How-To video. You are correct that I'll have to play around with it.

I probably used too much in my effort to establish a good base coat - I used almost half a bottle. I rinsed it off really well, and then dried it using two waffle-type microfiber drying towels. On the white paint, I couldn't see any streaking, but I could see it on the glass and the satin black finished 1LE parts - spoiler, mirrors, and splitter. I didn't even spray it on the glass, but the streaking showed me that the rinsing does distribute the stuff pretty well. I think it also shows I didn't need to use as much product as I used.

That said, the streaking wiped off the glass and satin black parts fairly easily with a dry soft plush microfiber towel. I went over the white paint with the same effort to remove any streaking that might have been there.

It also streaked the matte vinyl hood wrap, and was more difficult to clean up than the glass or satin black parts. It did all come off, but I'm thinking in the future I'll just use McKee's 37 matte finish spray on the wrap rather than the HCW.

All in all, even with the extra buffing, it's a LOT easier than normal waxing. It was like 15-20 minutes total to do the whole car. I had just waxed it after cleaning it up a week ago after a track day, using Meguiar's Ultimate synthetic wax. So I'm hoping this hybrid coating seals the wax until I store the car for the winter in 3 months. Maybe one more maintenance coating of the HCW just before covering it.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #87
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Okay, so I just watched the Autogeek video linked earlier in this thread, the one with Autogeek's Mike Phillips and Meguiar's Mike Stoops. I definitely used WAY too much HCW. I used my own misguided logic, where if a little is good, more is better. WRONG.

Near the end of the video Stoops said the biggest takeaway is that less is more with this stuff. A bottle should last 8 to 10 applications. He added that of course they want to sell as much of the product as possible, but if folks use too much, they're going to have a bad experience and not be excited about it.

I wish I had watched this video prior to applying the stuff, but live and learn. I went out to the garage this morning to appraise it again, and the car really looks good and feels slick.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #88
Black16

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have read the entire post. Is this HCW okay to use on the air scoops and the nose splitter?
Black16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #89
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black16 View Post
I have read the entire post. Is this HCW okay to use on the air scoops and the nose splitter?
Yes it works on plastic, paint or glass.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #90
Black16

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Tried it on my Black SS on the weekend, sprayed it on full strength then wiped it all over the paint. Then i rinsed it off and dried the car and buffed out the streaking. The product was easy to use and produced a deep black finish. I will dilute it down for future use.
Black16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #91
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yes it works on plastic, paint or glass.

I just did the bedliner in my 2019 Silverado with this stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:28 AM   #92
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Used it on my ZL1 today. Started with a good two bucket wash followed by a full clay bar, and then instant detainer to remove any residual. I don’t like the wet application approach given the hydrophilic properties of the chemical, so I decided to take a chance and apply it dry.

I used two cloths, one for application and one for buffing and it went on very easily compared to the old school paste wax I typically use. First application took about 45 minutes. I waited about two hours performed a second application that took about 20 minutes.... the first coat was very slick and I’m not sure the second application added value, but it felt good for the effort.

The improvement in reflection and paint depth is quite amazing and I’ll follow directions for car wash updates. The car looks amazing.

I am pleasantly surprised by this stuff, but I will continue to apply the old school hard wax before applying my magnetic number plates just for peace of mind.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #93
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #94
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
I put on the CQUK 3.0 in june I think, and have randomly been using HCW sporadically since as a topper( most recently yesterday) came out of work to see this today. You can't see the beads from 10 feet because they are so small

If you can't zoom in:

Tried a new method: after wash, before you dry, spray the and use microfiber to "rub it in" a panel, then rinse with a strong jet. That's what I did my last few applications, no need to dilute, no worries about dry streaking, and a combo of the two "label" methods. Easy to tell when excess is gone, as it changes from sheeting to beading.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 10-28-2019 at 05:21 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #95
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Thumbs up

I use both the Maguire's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and Technician's Choice 582. They're both great products and I plan on keeping both in my vehicle care arsenal.

Last week, I used Maguire's using the spray and rinse method on my wife's new Blazer. I was NOT impressed with this method. I had to follow it up with Technician's Choice 582 to get rid of the residue after drying. The paint was super slick and the shine was deep afterwards. It looked great!

This week I skipped the Maguire's and went with the TEC582 on my Camaro using the spray and rinse method.

I'm loving the results. The results were just as good as using the Maguire's and finishing up with the TEC582.

Using just TEC582 with the spray and rinse method saved me 45 minutes.

The results speak for themselves...
Attached Images

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #96
H4r0ld

Drives: 2019 2SS
I picked up some of the Meguiar's liquid hybrid ceramic wax and the hybrid ceramic detailer the other day and for an amateur, this stuff is impressive.

I've been trying all kinds of products lately and don't have an electric buffer so it's either a crazy workout getting it off or takes forever to get it to a nice shine.

But this stuff, I applied a nice coat to the whole car and by the time I came back around it wiped right off.

It's not going to be as repellent as a full ceramic coat but it's damn good for wax.

I figure I'll hit it again with the ceramic detailer and she'll be ready for the weekend.

H4r0ld is offline   Reply With Quote