Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #29
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlezone580 View Post
You have some great points Quinten, but would the car be able to sell? The Huracan Performante, Porchse GT2 RS, etc.... all achieve impressive times with a luxury interior, as does the ZL1 1LE. I strongly believe the Z/28 didn't sell well because of the stripped interior.

The fact I can track my car, and drive it on the weekends is the reason I bought it. My good friend has a Huracan Performante and doesn't even track it, just a fun weekend car.
This and the fact that consumer perception was not accepting of a $75,000 Camaro at the time. At least not when a couple of bucks more would get a Z06 with all the creature comforts. That said, the Z/28 was a ballsy move for GM and I applaud them for it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #30
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
As Pointed out in all the other threads like this.
Couple hundred pounds lighter.
More power
And some gears
Done

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #31
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
We already have our track star.

Two words: Streetable COPO.

Make the Z/28 a quarter mile monster w/ the CP drag pack option included.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #32
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
Al wants a sub-7 minute car. The ZL1 already has more power than a Viper ACR or Huracan Performante and the alpha platform is one of the best chassis in existence. The suspension setup is as good as it gets and the tires are basically racing slicks. However, the ZL1 1LE is behind in two major areas: Weight and Aerodynamics. The Viper ACR weighs in below 3,400lbs, as does the Performante. I believe that there’s a plethora of ways to reduce weight in the ZL1 1LE without the extensive use of expensive materials:
1. Corvette Competition seats
2. Rear seat delete: will not happen they have one car now with no rear seat why have 2 cars the same way.
3. Revised exhaust with a much smaller muffler: why?
4. Carbon Ceramic Brakes
5. Aluminum wheels: why are they not doing that now.
6. Lightweight alloy suspension and chassis components
7. Basic headlights
8. Basic interior with 1SS-like features, no luxury stuff

These could bring the weight of the ZL1 1LE down to 3,400lbs or less.

The Wing on the 1LE is cool, as are the canards, but more downforce and better aerodynamics are needed to accomplish a lap time of less than 7 minutes. I’m not saying that they need to make an ACR style wing, but something along the lines of the ZR1 wing would be great. Also borrowing from the ZR1, an underbody diffuser in below the engine could keep the front end stable and grippy without the use of bigger splitters and canards.

The price honestly doesn’t matter. If they can set a Nurburgring record or something close to it, and the car looks and sounds badass, people will buy it for as much as $120,000. No, it wouldn’t sell much, but it would really help the sales of the entire Camaro lineup. Huracan Performantes sold like hotcakes whenever they became available because people knew how absurd the performance was and how cool of a car it is. Imagine the respect the Camaro would get if it beat the GT2 RS and Performante around the Nurburgring and win every magazine test/competition out there. I know none of this seems very realistic when talking about GM, but GM is perfectly capable of making such a car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #33
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

No,

That would be like making the next ZL1 an appearance package on the turbo 4.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 AM   #34
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:

I get where your going with it, but I feel using the wrong badging. The ZL1 should've been more straight line focused and a Z/28 for the road course fanatics. Instead, they made the ZL1 to do it all. Not terrible idea by any means, I just like the idea of each model has its own purpose, like back with the era of the first gen. Dodge/Plymouth did it with the E body twins and Ford with the Mustang as well. I like how you could order a ZL1 or Z/28 as loaded or stripped down as you wanted. Let the customer choose, go back to ordering options how they want them, not lumped together in packages. If a customer wants radio, a/c, center console, rear spoiler/wing delete (or any combination of this) on their Z car, let em! If someone wants all that, plus remote start, heated seats/steering wheel, sun roof etc(or any combination of this) let em! Not that I like to see this, but Porsche does this and actually charges to remove/leave out deleted items.....
On that note, back to the OP's question, I feel for myself, I'd like to see a ln SS 1LE style vehicle with a Z/28 model specific engine. Also the front fenders from the ZL1. Make the ZL1 1LE suspension, brakes (if they become carbon ceramic), wheels/tires and maybe the aero as options that you can check the box on. Maybe sell em as over the counter speed parts to make your street Z a track car as much as you want to. I feel like the ZL1 "package" that GM performance is/was working on would work well this way. Make it an RPO code that a customer can check off when ordering if they want a 1/4 mile focused car. Let em have the option for spoiler or a/c or center console deletes (or whatever other items could be eliminated) as sub sections of a "drag pack". If not, then they get the ZL1 the way it already comes.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #35
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
They built more Z/28s in 2 years than Ford built GT350Rs in 3. That was the issue with the Z/28, not the fact it was a high performance track car. If GM limited the number of cars built each year and kept some content in the interior, say SS 1LE type interior, they would have no problem selling them.
That may work. Make a 6th Gen Z/28 in very limited numbers (<500 per year), alongside the ZL1 1LE and Chevrolet could probably sell all of them.

Quote:

No. The Z/28 has always been a track (road course) focused machine.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #36
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Al wants a sub-7 minute car. The ZL1 already has more power than a Viper ACR or Huracan Performante and the alpha platform is one of the best chassis in existence. The suspension setup is as good as it gets and the tires are basically racing slicks. However, the ZL1 1LE is behind in two major areas: Weight and Aerodynamics. The Viper ACR weighs in below 3,400lbs, as does the Performante. I believe that there’s a plethora of ways to reduce weight in the ZL1 1LE without the extensive use of expensive materials:
2. Rear seat delete
3. Revised exhaust with a much smaller muffler
4. Carbon Ceramic Brakes
5. Aluminum wheels
7. Basic headlights

The Wing on the 1LE is cool, as are the canards, but more downforce and better aerodynamics are needed to accomplish a lap time of less than 7 minutes. I’m not saying that they need to make an ACR style wing, but something along the lines of the ZR1 wing would be great. Also borrowing from the ZR1, an underbody diffuser in below the engine could keep the front end stable and grippy without the use of bigger splitters and canards.

The price honestly doesn’t matter. If they can set a Nurburgring record or something close to it, and the car looks and sounds badass, people will buy it for as much as $120,000. No, it wouldn’t sell much, but it would really help the sales of the entire Camaro lineup. Huracan Performantes sold like hotcakes whenever they became available because people knew how absurd the performance was and how cool of a car it is. Imagine the respect the Camaro would get if it beat the GT2 RS and Performante around the Nurburgring and win every magazine test/competition out there. I know none of this seems very realistic when talking about GM, but GM is perfectly capable of making such a car.
Yeah.... no.

It's just not going to happen.... and let me explain why. To start, the ZL1 1LE already ran an unofficial 7:13 on the ring. Even still, it's official 7:16 is blazing fast. Do you even comprehend how fast that is? There has only been one American car to do it faster, and it is a complete PITA to drive on a daily basis compared to the Camaro.

As for respect? Are you F****** kidding me? The Camaro just dropped one of the top 10 fastest laps on the track, a Camaro....and you think it's not getting respect? It's not going to make any extra sales happen if it goes sub 7....

As for the weight, the car weighs in at roughly 3800lbs....sure, there are some additional items they could lighten up to get it there....and I do hope they offer them....as a package, not a model. Look, the ZR1 is the Chevy Halo car, not the Camaro. They aren't going to invest a ton of money in it for a 120k Camaro. It's just not happening...
Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #37
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
All it is really going to take to release a new Z/28 is a combination of parts that can run the ring under 7. What exactly that combination will be is to be determined but to use the badge, the car needs to raise the bar. That is my opinion.

To listen to a lot of you guys, you just need to buy a SS 1LE and mod it with brake and weight saving upgrades. The car you want is already for sale.

I say put the turbo V8 in the Z/28 and blow the doors off EVERYTHING!

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #38
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
All it is really going to take to release a new Z/28 is a combination of parts that can run the ring under 7. What exactly that combination will be is to be determined but to use the badge, the car needs to raise the bar. That is my opinion.

To listen to a lot of you guys, you just need to buy a SS 1LE and mod it with brake and weight saving upgrades. The car you want is already for sale.

I say put the turbo V8 in the Z/28 and blow the doors off EVERYTHING!
There isn't going to be a Z/28 that is faster than the current ZL1-1LE. It's just not going to happen. Additionally, even if they go with the most widely hypothesized Z model, which is essentially a 550-600HP N/A motor in a ZL1 chassis with ZL1-1LE suspension, all it does is create a problem for GM, a problem they don't need.

I love the Z/28...and would love to see it happen. However, all of this it needs to be a sub 7 min car and blah blah blah is just silly. It was never this kind of car ever, and the 5th gen car withstanding, needs to go back to its true roots. The 1LE SS is the real world Z/28 currently. They need to just drop the 1LE name and give it its real name, the Z/28.

You could even offer a 1LE package for the Z/28....with the upgraded carbon ceramics, ZL1 1LE suspension, etc....

Look, the ACR Viper weighs roughly 350-400lbs lighter than the current ZL1 1LE. However, it also cost on average about 45k more. It has virtually the same HP as the ZL1-1LE....

Let's assume you get it down to the same weight....you're still in the same neighborhood as the ACR. All of the cars at the top of the list for the ring are +700HP, AWD, or basically kit car light.... or a combination of each... and even with rear seat delete, cutting out the electronics, and lighter wheels, I just don't see you getting down to 3300lbs... maybe 3450...
Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #39
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
2. Rear seat delete
3. Revised exhaust with a much smaller muffler
4. Carbon Ceramic Brakes
5. Aluminum wheels
7. Basic headlights

Some good ideas, but with the big stink they made last gen about the Z/28 needing to be NA I don't see anyway it gets sub 7 naturally aspirated. Now go extreme aero and throw the LT5 in it or the rumored TT Mid engine vette motor and I would say you have a shot. I do not see any way they can strip the car out enough to make it sub 3400 pounds. That would be lighter than a Grand Sport Corvette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Yeah.... no.

It's just not going to happen.... and let me explain why. To start, the ZL1 1LE already ran an unofficial 7:13 on the ring. Even still, it's official 7:16 is blazing fast. Do you even comprehend how fast that is? There has only been one American car to do it faster, and it is a complete PITA to drive on a daily basis compared to the Camaro.

As for respect? Are you F****** kidding me? The Camaro just dropped one of the top 10 fastest laps on the track, a Camaro....and you think it's not getting respect? It's not going to make any extra sales happen if it goes sub 7....

As for the weight, the car weighs in at roughly 3800lbs....sure, there are some additional items they could lighten up to get it there....and I do hope they offer them....as a package, not a model. Look, the ZR1 is the Chevy Halo car, not the Camaro. They aren't going to invest a ton of money in it for a 120k Camaro. It's just not happening...
This ^ as much as we all want the Camaro to be the best it can be if Chevy is going to make a halo car to put the world on notice, it's going to be the Corvette. The ZR1 will most likely be right around 7 or sub 7.

Quote:
There isn't going to be a Z/28 that is faster than the current ZL1-1LE. It's just not going to happen. Additionally, even if they go with the most widely hypothesized Z model, which is essentially a 550-600HP N/A motor in a ZL1 chassis with ZL1-1LE suspension, all it does is create a problem for GM, a problem they don't need.

I love the Z/28...and would love to see it happen. However, all of this it needs to be a sub 7 min car and blah blah blah is just silly. It was never this kind of car ever, and the 5th gen car withstanding, needs to go back to its true roots. The 1LE SS is the real world Z/28 currently. They need to just drop the 1LE name and give it its real name, the Z/28.

You could even offer a 1LE package for the Z/28....with the upgraded carbon ceramics, ZL1 1LE suspension, etc....

Look, the ACR Viper weighs roughly 350-400lbs lighter than the current ZL1 1LE. However, it also cost on average about 45k more. It has virtually the same HP as the ZL1-1LE....

Let's assume you get it down to the same weight....you're still in the same neighborhood as the ACR. All of the cars at the top of the list for the ring are +700HP, AWD, or basically kit car light.... or a combination of each... and even with rear seat delete, cutting out the electronics, and lighter wheels, I just don't see you getting down to 3300lbs... maybe 3450...
Again what he said ^
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #40
Bhobbs

I disagree the 1LE is the current Z/28. The 1LE has always been a handling upgrade to make the V8s more competitive on the track.

The Z/28 is designed from the beginning to be a track car.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #41
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I disagree the 1LE is the current Z/28. The 1LE has always been a handling upgrade to make the V8s more competitive on the track.

The Z/28 is designed from the beginning to be a track car.
The Z/28 was always a better handling Camaro with a slightly lower amount of HP when compared to the SS. That is how it has ALWAYS been throughout the history of the Camaro.

The 1LE SS is virtually what GM has built with a Z/28 badge for years, except for the power output and the 5th gen car. This idea that the Z/28 was a true track car is ridiculous. It was a race-oriented car, with upgraded brakes and wheels. It had nothing special about it that would label it as some "race car".
Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #42
Bhobbs

Quote:
The Z/28 was always a better handling Camaro with a slightly lower amount of HP when compared to the SS. That is how it has ALWAYS been throughout the history of the Camaro.

The 1LE SS is virtually what GM has built with a Z/28 badge for years, except for the power output and the 5th gen car. This idea that the Z/28 was a true track car is ridiculous. It was a race-oriented car, with upgraded brakes and wheels. It had nothing special about it that would label it as some "race car".
The Z/28 had less power because Trans Am limited displacement. It wasn’t a decision at Chevy to make the Z/28 produce less power. The Z/28 was built to meet Trans Am racing specification. If that isn’t a race car, I don’t know what is.