Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
JimmyZ

Drives: 2017 1LE
Knocking Sound 2018 ZL1

I recently purchased a 2018 ZL1, moving up from my 1LE, and have noticed this knocking sound - https://youtu.be/zJMVG6hoMSY

This sound:
1. Is not present at startup but becomes present after long drives and the car is idle.
2. The sound does increase and decrease with RPMs, but while it does increase it will become more quiet when the RPMs increase.
3. I can only seem to hear while inside the car.
4. When outside you here standard fuel injectors and other noises.
5. I listen to the sound recording on my phone and i can clearly hear the knock. I listen to it on the computer and it sounds like exhaust, maybe, but it really has a distinct knock when in teh car.

Really confused by this sound and plan to take to dealership, but curious if others have had this or if some folks might have an opinion or know what it is.

thanks
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
This may sound weird, but there have been some people who have had there spark plug wires work their way off the plug or coil. Check the wires if you are capable. Maybe the right rear is loose and you are hearing spark knock.

Last edited by Scottyz; 01-17-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
JimmyZ

I just did a quick search on spark knock and I did just change my air intake from stock to a rotofab so i have removed and reinstalled the MAF now wondering if that might have something to do with it.

I'll give it a once over tomorrow, checking the wires and disconnecting the battery to see if this might allow things to reset.

thanks for the follow up.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
No problem. Hopefully that’s it and it’s easy. Good luck.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
JimmyZ

Wanted to close this out with the solution. Turns out it was the fuel pump, fuel line on the driver side fuel rail. Took it to a chevy dealership and the lead tech new exactly what it was. apparently this is common on the vette's and i searched and seems to be a TSB as well.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Good news. Hopefully this will be squared away for you.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Were you able to hear the noise in the engine bay? I have a rapid clicking noise coming from the passenger side that is noticeable inside and outside the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdzsODlbuA#
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I’ve been researching this quite a bit trying to optimize low side fueling for E85. The root cause of this issue is the in-line check valve, which is also very restrictive. I’m replacing this line with a flow flow check valve and hope to free up from flow for the HPFP.

It’s not clear to me why the system needs two check valves (in tank module and in fuel line), but I don’t want to second guess GM engineers, so I’m just replacing the in fuel line section with a high flow.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote