Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
The Prius is better than the Chevy Volt?!...

I was talking to my neighbor the other day...
We were talking about my ford Taurus' transmission..
he mentioned that each of the American car companies have individual issues...
such as Chevy having "electrical issues"...IE: his power windows are pretty much shot, and his power locks, as well as the AC. - He has a Chevy van...
I've also heard many of you on these forums mentioning their camaro's power windows were failing..
and of course ford = fix or repair daily...which in the past 10 weeks thats proven to be 100% fact with our ford...
so heres my question(s)..

does Chevy Still have electrical issues with their vehicles?...

If so, how does GM expect the Volt to sell, with America knowing GM's histor of issues with their electrical system?..seeing as how this car is going to have electrical systems out the ying yang...?

or do you think that the fact the Volt is a LOT better in many aspects (than the Prius) will sell the car alone...or will the "Chevy electrical issue" be a downfall for this new innovation from Chevrolet.

In the general public, foreign cars are "more reliable, and have way less issues than American cars, and last a lot longer"

I'm not knockin Chevy..nor the Volt. I'm just wondering what you think..
and btw, my apologies if this is a repost.
P.S. - What's Dodge's issue?...

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
a12ozbottle

Drives: 2006 GMC Yukon
I have own quite a few GM vehicles and never had an electrical problem, other than having to replace an alternator in my 67 Chevelle. That car was 30 years old at that point.
a12ozbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
such as Chevy having "electrical issues"...IE: his power windows are pretty much shot, and his power locks, as well as the AC. - He has a Chevy van...
I've also heard many of you on these forums mentioning their camaro's power windows were failing..
and of course ford = fix or repair daily...which in the past 10 weeks thats proven to be 100% fact with our ford...

If so, how does GM expect the Volt to sell, with America knowing GM's histor of issues with their electrical system?..seeing as how this car is going to have electrical systems out the ying yang...?

or do you think that the fact the Volt is a LOT better in many aspects (than the Prius) will sell the car alone...or will the "Chevy electrical issue" be a downfall for this new innovation from Chevrolet.

In the general public, foreign cars are "more reliable, and have way less issues than American cars, and last a lot longer"

the electrical issues you point out are accessories, (and most of those are on older vehicles after many many operations of those accessories). the ones I have been involved with are two problem areas, 1. the grease in the motors gets old and gummed up making the windows or locks hard to operate eventually burrning out the motors. 2. the wiring between the door and the body where it flexes constantly will finally break after many years of opening and closing the door. Driver's side usually will go first. and these have nothing to do with the actual operating of the vehicle it's self. I have always found Fords and Chrysler products having more electrical issues (engine dying (ignition problems, computer problems etc), lights going out, etc) than any GM's I have had.

Cost is the Major factor, If they could bring the Volt to market at a comparative cost to the Prius then the Volt would win hands down. but since it is going to be around 10,000 more... i don't think many people will be giving up their Prius for a Volt.

Reliability is an issue, there is so misconception about american car reliability... next time you take a trip notice how many american cars and foreign cars are abandoned on the side of the road. and also notice how many you see on a rollback with no apparent damage... the numbers are getting very close, mainly in the old days you saw so many more American cars abandoned was because there were 20 times as many American cars on the road, percentage wise I bet it was close to the same.
All cars in general are more reliable. To me reliability is no longer a major issue.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
power windows still goin on the 30 year old vette, winshield whipers not so good
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post

unless the electrical issues are directly related to its drive train, they won't matter. The differences in reliability are now minor, and every new GM vehicle seems to rate higher in initial quality than Japanese counterparts. But public perception still remains, and will continue for some time to come.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I just restored a 1957 Buick wagon...everything electrical STILL worked after 50 years and it still does! I have owned GM cars for the past 20 years, and NEVER do we experience electrical grimlins or failing windows. One of the cars in our fleet is a 2004 XLR - if ANYTHING electrical is going to fail, it will be in THAT car. No issues.

Every car that is not maintained will cause you problems, no matter which country builds it. And regarding your transmission in the taurus, it has been our families experience that you can set your watch to the failure points of that car - Water pump:86,000 miles Fuel Pump: 90,000 Trans: 86k - at least that is what happened to EVERY one of the Tauri my sister had
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I don't think they'll have any major issues. The window motor issue was explained. GM learns from the past and makes better for the future. I think every vehicle produced will have a problem here or there. Whether it be electrical or otherwise, we'll just have to wait and see. I think it'll be okay.

BTW, the drivers side power motor in my SS is now going out. These darn things suck. That'll be two I've gone through in this SS.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
A large number of the power window failures I see are caused by the cable breaking on the regulator. Don't get me started on Dodges problems! POS transmissions!

(The old cars where gear driven instead of cable)
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
The only eletrical problem was an alternator going on my jimmy with about 60 thousand miles which thanks to the extened warranty only cost me 50 bucks and not other issue since then on any of my vehicles. . Which to me was normal wear and tear.