Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #1
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Rocker Covers

I had tires put on yesterday and they lifted it by the pinch welds. I noticed in the front the lift contacted the plastic rocker covers and bent them up slightly. When they left it back down the rockers look fine but wondered if this is normal lifting these cars? Didn't look like there was really any other lift points than the pinch welds.

Didn't make me too happy to see them bend and of course they over tightened the lug nuts AND scratched the wheels but that's today's hurry up and get it done world BUT pay me like a I was a pro. Unfortunately I had a tough time finding any shop with a touch-less tire machine and this guy is just sloppy and careless. Won't be going back to him for tires.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
The rocker covers are thankfully a little flexible so you likely have lucked out there. However, it is not something that should be regularly done. Obviously the guy that did your service has no clue what he was doing when he lifted your car. Also, sorry for adding salt to your open wound, but you're probably out the cost of any kind of wheel repair. What was the place you went so that we know not to go there as well?
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
This is why I don't like lifting by the pinch welds. Maybe the pinch weld adapters work better, but I never used them. When lifting the car, I use the subframe attachment points with a block a wood and a microfiber towel folded on top. No scratches, scuffs or dents. It looks pristine after I lift it.

Your experience sounds like you went to a America's Tire Co. I never had good experiences there. The fact that they damaged the rocker panels while lifting it tells me they were clueless in how to lift a Camaro. You have to use adapter plates or even a block of wood on the lifting pads.

A lot of these places will scratch/gouge up your rims when they change the tires as well. They really don't care because they contract with the local rim repair places and then bill the insurance to cover it. It seems the only way around it is have a high end place change the tires on the rims. It'll be more expensive, but at least the rims won't get scratched up.

Sorry to hear your Camaro got damaged.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
There's not much avoiding touching the rockers when using a lift. The pads are too large to miss them unless you have a specific adapter which good luck finding a shop that will have those. I've lifted my the pinch multiple times I just use a piece of carpet and they flex my only slightly, no damage. I'd be more pissed about my wheels.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
The pinch weld lift pads from zl1addons work great, theyre hard to miss and would avoid this issue.

https://zl1addons.com/collections/camaro-jack-lift-pads

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
CamaroBarb
Banned

Local chain tire place. I called the local wheel repair place but he was on vacation in Fla figured I'd stay away from him because of the virus. Last night I tried to touch up the scratches with limited results, luckily they were refinished when I bought the car last year so they were like new<sarcasum. I checked the lug torque this morning and they are all over the place.75-160, gonna have to loosen them all and re torque. I have a 6ft aluminum pipe in my trunk to get lugs off when the bozos strike. Luckily I gave up trying to keep my cars away from idiots because its just not possible unless you do your own work. I more mad at myself because I knew this would be my results before I went there, and trust me the dealers are no better.

Last time I had alignment the foam protectors were dirty nasty they left a ring around each wheel I had to polish off. When I mentioned it to idiot doing the alignment he just shrugged it off saying "that's how they are" while I'm paying 125hr labor to have my wheels scuffed. God help you if you mention anything then they get attitude. You have to get to the point where you just don't give a rats ass but its so tough to be that way. Its getting worse that's for sure. I can't remember the last time I actually dealt with a pro.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
The pinch weld lift pads from zl1addons work great, theyre hard to miss and would avoid this issue.

Great idea, would avoid large amounts of lift worry.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
CamaroBarb
Banned

Every wheel is scratched around the lug openings from the socket spinning hitting the edges. Pissed is putting it mildly!
Old 04-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Local chain tire place.
Maybe I don't know that chain, but that's not really helpful. It would be nice for fellow forum members to know where it was so we don't go there and get screwed as well.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Great idea, would avoid large amounts of lift worry.

ugh. I hate it when people are just sloppy and don't give a shit. They should be paying for wheel refinish. I had a shop recently learn that hard lesson when Cletus scraped the wheel weights off of my American AR920s with a screwdriver. They bought a new set of American AR920s.

The lift blocks are the stuff, I highly recommend them.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #11
96SS390

Drives: 2006 BOM GTO
Quote:

Did you get the "Bolt On" lift pads or the removable magpad?
96SS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
Panda1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE (6spd)
Quote:

exactly what SSEssence recommended. I have the lift pads and love them. Got them in red so they are more visible to the geniuses at the tire shops. One time at the tire shop and watching my car get lifted incorrectly made me buy the pads. Never looked back

CAI intake, Stainless Power LTH, SCT X4, NPP exhaust
Panda1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda1LE View Post
exactly what SSEssence recommended. I have the lift pads and love them. Got them in red so they are more visible to the geniuses at the tire shops. One time at the tire shop and watching my car get lifted incorrectly made me buy the pads. Never looked back
Do they stay connected to the car semi permanently? I have seen some that use an allen bolt or some other method to stay connected to the pinch weld.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
The set of 4 has Allen set screws to mount them and leave them on. There's some that are magnetic for just using when you jack it. I bought a pair of those on ebay for $15. I don't really want to spend $90 on the set of 4. I might just make some, or not. Don't think I care that much lol.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote