#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
What Would You Suggest?!

So as some of you have probably read somewhere, my moms ford taurus is totally crapping out on us. Daily.

She is currently looking to buy a new/used car, ("NOT ANOTHER FORD!", she exclaims)
She's been renting a cobalt for about 2 months, she enjoys the maneuverability of the cobalt, and she likes the setup of it. However, at higher speeds, it tends to loose its grip on the road when turning corners...I told her it's probably because its a rental and doesn't have the standard equipment of a normal cobalt..(can anyone confirm this?) - We used to have a pretty damn decent chevy wagon (celebrity)

Anyway, what she basically wants, is a car thats reliable, small (but not 2 passenger small) - Ideally the size of the cobalt, and can get her from point A to point B without having the transmission break down (like our taurus)
I've suggested the Honda Civic (as it pretty much fits these characteristics)
but she has it in her mind that the Honda's still have the Thumb click gear switch. I've tried to make it as clear as day - that I have yet to see an Accord or Civic with a thumb click gear switch - as it appears they have switched to the multi-finger press and hold gear switch (much like the cobalt)
She has issues with her thumb and is unable to manage that sorta setup.
V6's are not out of the question, but given her experience I think she should try a 4 cyl. We're just looking for a daily driver, and Used (preferrably) thats not ridiculously overpriced..Preferrably in the 10-20k range (new if necessary) but she would prefer to have a Used one.
I told her about Car Max, and she questioned its credibility. I told her I haven't heard anything negative about them yet..

Anyway if anyone has a Legit suggestion as to a SAFE, RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE, 4 - 5 Passenger, sedan, 4 cyl or 6, Paint job: needs to be a light color
I'd greatly appreciate suggestions made =)

She's mentioned things like the Scion xB (which I personally panned because it doesn't look safe for shit). Also the tC - but after I told her majority of them have a moon roof and i think they only have 2 doors, she was like:
She also mentioned the Jetta (which i didn't really see a problem with)
And I'm trying to get her interested in a civic.
Please keep personal brand hatred out of it, because I just need to know a car that'll work. ( Unless its Ford, don't even mention a ford, ill throw a tomato at you. )

I just hope to god she doesn't get another ghastly tan interior. (those things get massively dirty I've never seen anything like it)

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Civic is a good choice, another option I would consider is either the Mazda 3 or 6, both are good cars and get decent gas mileage as well. Though many on this board don't like the company, as far as I know the Toyota Corolla is pretty good as well.

Here is a link that I used a little when my wife and I were shopping for a 2nd car. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...le-Small-Cars/ We ended up getting the 3 and she has been quite happy with it and in the time my Camaro has been in the shop, I have driven it quite a bit and it is actually a pretty good ride. (Note: USNews is not the only research site we used, but it was our starting point)

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
A bunch of guys from work just went out and purchased the Mazda 3. Two of them are claiming 40mpg hwy#'s. And...they bought them for $11,800 give or take a hundred dollars.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
rocknrollcali87

Drives: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro
That new Chevy Malibu looks pretty good, and it's great on gas. I think the quality has improved for the Malibu, almost comparable to a Toyota Camry. If you're looking for something Cobalt, Mazda3, Scion size, those Toyota Corolla S cars are pretty nice. My friend has one, 50 bucks to fill it up and lasts for days. Mitsubishi Lancers are pretty nice, you're in Modesto which is how far from the San Gabriel Valley area ?

It's 4 fat guys in a Geo up a hill, we can't go any faster!!
rocknrollcali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
My brother has a Mazda protege 5. That thing is FWD, handles EXTREMELY well, gets great gas mileage, and looks semi sporty. I considered buying it from him instead of my Saturn because it running like new after 140k miles (I think). I didn't have the money to put down for it at the time. I would HIGHLY recommend it if they make them. I have not had a chance to test drive a Mazda 3, but I have a feeling they are very similar. I have never liked the civics because they automatically downshift and that's one of the things I can't stand about them.

You can always get a front lip spoiler for the cobalt which won't change the look that much, but will give it higher stability at higher speeds.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

awesome, I'll have to take these suggestions to my mom and see what she thinks
keep em coming if you think of more, we don't have a huge lot of time to shop around, (due to current family issues) but we NEED a dang car that works. so..yeah. ty again appreciate it =)

Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'll check and do some research for you too as I like seeing what's on the market from time to time.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Great

Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I reccomend a Cobalt; she's been in one, and apparently likes it from what you've said. I'm curious about the high-speed cornering problem, though....I've never encountered that issue.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
So as some of you have probably read somewhere, my moms ford taurus is totally crapping out on us. Daily.

She is currently looking to buy a new/used car, ("NOT ANOTHER FORD!", she exclaims)
She's been renting a cobalt for about 2 months, she enjoys the maneuverability of the cobalt, and she likes the setup of it. However, at higher speeds, it tends to loose its grip on the road when turning corners...I told her it's probably because its a rental and doesn't have the standard equipment of a normal cobalt..(can anyone confirm this?) - We used to have a pretty damn decent chevy wagon (celebrity)

Anyway, what she basically wants, is a car thats reliable, small (but not 2 passenger small) - Ideally the size of the cobalt, and can get her from point A to point B without having the transmission break down (like our taurus)
I've suggested the Honda Civic (as it pretty much fits these characteristics)
but she has it in her mind that the Honda's still have the Thumb click gear switch. I've tried to make it as clear as day - that I have yet to see an Accord or Civic with a thumb click gear switch - as it appears they have switched to the multi-finger press and hold gear switch (much like the cobalt)
She has issues with her thumb and is unable to manage that sorta setup.
V6's are not out of the question, but given her experience I think she should try a 4 cyl. We're just looking for a daily driver, and Used (preferrably) thats not ridiculously overpriced..Preferrably in the 10-20k range (new if necessary) but she would prefer to have a Used one.
I told her about Car Max, and she questioned its credibility. I told her I haven't heard anything negative about them yet..

Anyway if anyone has a Legit suggestion as to a SAFE, RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE, 4 - 5 Passenger, sedan, 4 cyl or 6, Paint job: needs to be a light color
I'd greatly appreciate suggestions made =)

She's mentioned things like the Scion xB (which I personally panned because it doesn't look safe for shit). Also the tC - but after I told her majority of them have a moon roof and i think they only have 2 doors, she was like:
She also mentioned the Jetta (which i didn't really see a problem with)
And I'm trying to get her interested in a civic.
Please keep personal brand hatred out of it, because I just need to know a car that'll work. ( Unless its Ford, don't even mention a ford, ill throw a tomato at you. )

I just hope to god she doesn't get another ghastly tan interior. (those things get massively dirty I've never seen anything like it)

I would saw one of two cars. If you want to stay American check out the new Malibu. I got to rent one last month. It is a really nice vehicle. Well built, has a lot of get up and go, the fit and finish is very nice, not a bunch of cheap plastic like we have seen come out of the general in years past. All in all a really nice car.

Other then that I would highly recomend a VW Jetta. My wife drives one. She is on her second (she had a 2003 and when saw the new body style come out she decided she wanted that one instead so now she has a 2005). It is an incredibly well built car. Solid as a rock. The interior is well built (the only part I don't like is the instrument colors but don't just say no right off the bat, you seriously get used to it). It comes standard with enough airbags to turn it into a canoli god forbid the worst happens. She has 60,000 miles on it now and the only things that have been done is oil changes, a set of brakes, and a set of tires. She gets between 30-33 MPG driving on the freeway (she is one of those that believes her car gets better fuel economy at 80 then it does at 65 as well) and if she takes surface streets for her commute she gets between 25-28 MPG. She used to carpool so there is plenty of room for 4 full sized adults in it without having to move the front seats forward and the people in the rear having to sit with their knees pressed up against the front seats. All in all it is a really nice vehicle and I know you can get one new for right around 20-25K.

I have also heard that the Pontiac G6 is pretty nice but that might be more then you are looking to spend (don't hate me if I am wrong about the price on that one).
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
LOOOOVE my maxda 3. I get about 33mpg. Great little commuter.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
So have you made a decision?

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #13
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

not yet..she's actually considering the HHR now. I'd rather her get the HHR over PT cruiser (same designer) but I favor chevy over chrysler.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #14
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I've never driven one but i would suggest the Saturn Astra.
Small like the cobalt and has a 4 banger. If the higher speed stability is really a problem, the Astra should be perfect because its suspension is made for Germany's autobahn. Good mpg, great looks, lots of standard features, and it's one of the fastest selling cars in Europe for a reason. The only thing is, its also a little more expensive than the cobalt but i dont think you will have a problem finding one for your price range.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote