Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Post Changing from dual-tip exhaust to quad-tip

This only applies to cars that came without dual-mode exhaust (NPP). My car was supposed to have NPP but it didn't happen (long story). So, ever since I took delivery, I have been exploring ways to get quad-tips and adjustable exhaust. Looks like the only way to get adjustable sound is to add electric cut-outs. I have been in touch with the aftermarket (Borla, SW, Kooks) and their NPP replacement systems require the car to have been built with NPP. They are making exhaust with the valves but not the valve controllers.

That being considered, I have decided to just change the rear facia and the exhaust to quad-tip. That will give me the look and sound I want.

Borla makes two quad-tip systems that don't have NPP valves. 11920 & 11921
http://www.borla.com/chevy-2016-camaro-exhaust-systems/

Kooks makes two systems with either black or polished quad-tips. One eliminates the muffler completely and the other has a muffler like the Borla systems. Unfortunately no photos are available for the Kooks systems. First 4 Kooks systems are the ones I am referring to: https://www.lmperformance.com/car.as...=2016&b=0&su=Y

These systems are the company's dual-mode (NPP) exhaust without the valves. So you cannot adjust the sound like a NPP system can.

They can be used on cars with NPP if the owner wants to bypass the valves (don't know why anyone would want to do that). Or they can be installed on cars without NPP as long as the rear facia is changed.

Price for the quad-tip facia: List was $233 (Part # 23404791). Facia may need to be painted. Parts catalog says paint to match but I'm hoping it comes with a matte finish like the dual exhaust facia that came on my car.
Edit: Facia came smooth black. Off to the paint shop for gloss black treatment.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.

Last edited by Hyper16; 05-08-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Hyper16

Just checked my email. This is a photo of the KOOKS cat-back system with black quad-tips.

Name:  2016 Camaro KOOKS black tips.jpg
Views: 17143
Size:  158.1 KB
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.

Last edited by Hyper16; 05-08-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
So which quad-tip set up are you leaning towards more?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Nice review
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Nice review
Thanks.

I was leaning toward the Borla S type but now that I've seen the KOOKS in black I'm not sure. Problem is that I know the Borla sounds great but haven't heard the KOOKS other than a full cat-back (which sounds awesome).

Old 05-03-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Good stuff!! Thanks for your help as well!!
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Hyper16

Decided on the Borla S-type.

The Kooks axle-back system had too small a muffler for my liking. Very loud all the time. Too bad. Really liked the black tips.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
2016 1ss

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
Decided on the Borla S-type.

The Kooks axle-back system had too small a muffler for my liking. Very loud all the time. Too bad. Really liked the black tips.
Did your new panel come painted?
2016 1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 1ss View Post
Did your new panel come painted?
No. Facia came smooth black. Off to the paint shop tomorrow for gloss black treatment.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:14 AM   #10
2016 1ss

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
No. Facia came smooth black. Off to the paint shop tomorrow for gloss black treatment.
Is it at least textured like the non npp panel is? I'm following your thread closely as I'm planning on doing the same thing or just painting my non npp section gloss black and getting non dual tips. I can't wait to see the final results good luck!
2016 1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #11
sonnydurden

I'm watching this thread closely too! I'm going this same route. Already ordered my fascia/diffuser. It will be here in 5 days. Now I'm waiting to hear back from Magnaflow to see if they have a quad axleback exhaust without the valves. The Borla is too expensive. I like the SW, but is it me or does the fittment look off?? The Kooks price is great but still haven't seen a polished tip pic..
Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #12
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 1ss View Post
Is it at least textured like the non npp panel is? I'm following your thread closely as I'm planning on doing the same thing or just painting my non npp section gloss black and getting non dual tips. I can't wait to see the final results good luck!
Very smooth. Not textured at all. I was hoping it would be so I could avoid painting it. Oh well.
Waiting to hear back from Borla. Going to order the mufflers today. Hopefully this project will be finished in a week or two.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
I'm watching this thread closely too! I'm going this same route. Already ordered my fascia/diffuser. It will be here in 5 days. Now I'm waiting to hear back from Magnaflow to see if they have a quad axleback exhaust without the valves. The Borla is too expensive. I like the SW, but is it me or does the fittment look off?? The Kooks price is great but still haven't seen a polished tip pic..
Don't know about the fitment of SW but I do not believe they have a compatible muffler. Their quad-tip offering has the valves. I contacted them and they don't have plans for a quad-tip without valves (at this time ;-)

This photo is the Kooks axle-back with quad polished tips. The photo in post 2 is the full cat-back with black tips.

Name:  2016 Camaro stainless-tips Axle Back.jpg
Views: 16812
Size:  161.4 KB

Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
sonnydurden

Quote:
Don't know about the fitment of SW but I do not believe they have a compatible muffler. Their quad-tip offering has the valves. I contacted them and they don't have plans for a quad-tip without valves (at this time ;-)

This photo is the Kooks axle-back with quad polished tips. The photo in post 2 is the full cat-back with black tips.

Attachment 794134
Thanks man!! I thought SW had one. If Magnaflow doesn't have any affordable options then it's gonna be Kooks.. And why is it so hard to get just a plain ol rear shot of the exhaust from these companies??? I thank Borla for the clean shots!!!