Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #29
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
This is my whole point. The majority of people that own pickups and SUV's DON'T need them, they buy them because they like the look, they think they're safe, or they just like riding high (ridiculous). Now people are faced with making more financially responsible decisions.
Why is that ridiculous? And you think buying a sports car is a financially responsible decision. There is always something more economical. If the ultimate goal is to be as financially responsible as possible, then your only option is to own a car that is functional with no luxury options what so ever. No AC, no radio, no leather, just the bare minimums because that is what is financially responsible. Hell, if we were really financially responsible, we'd never buy a new car. We'd only buy used.

Big V8 Muscle cars serve no greater purpose than an SUV or Truck does. I could cram my wife and children into our Mazda 3. But I choose to comfortably tot em around in my Tahoe. At least a truck and SUV is functional, whether you need/use that functionality or not. What purpose does a v8 muscle car serve? None other than fulfilling your own indulgence. And mine too. Same as my Tahoe. I don't need it, I want it. Not a single person on this site needs a new camaro. Not one. But we all want one. Is that financially responsible?

Performance cars are at best just another car. They have little cargo room, less passenger space, and are often not comfortable. And even if you get the V6, you won't drive it like a V6. Because it's still a performance car. Therefore negating the total benefit of increased fuel economy. You can't argue that a camaro is a necessity any more than you can a truck/SUV isn't. Sports cars are more of a luxury than a truck/SUV is.

Sorry for the rant. But there is too much pot calling the kettle black for me.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #30
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Yeah, you had billions of more drivers in emerging markets coming on board using up more of the worlds gas supply that's already short.
The gas supply is short because we can't refine oil any faster. And, as a country we are unwilling to pursue other sources of fuel. The price of gas will go down significantly if we can establish our own oil reserves.

However, if we don't, then you are correct. Gas prices will continue to soar with no end it sight. I hope as a country we don't let that happen, and begin to provide our own source of oil.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #31
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Yeah, you had billions of more drivers in emerging markets coming on board using up more of the worlds gas supply that's already short.
cyclical; but trending toward alternative fuels, on the backs of smaller vehicles(in higher%) along the way. I could do away with the Sierra, if they put the 5.3 in the Colorado, except, my next purchase will be a Camaro....

A lot more drivers now (millions?), but billions of Chinese etc do not have cars....since we pay them 12 cents per year to send us lead flavored dog food and toys etc....

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #32
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
This is hilarious with how much you guys are taking this to heart. Look, it's all relative, if you feel good about having purchased an SUV then why say anything at all? It really shouldn't bother you.

Most folks I know that have SUV's or trucks are either driving them less or looking for alternatives. Yes, a performance car is a wiser choice than an SUV or truck, because chances are almost all of them get better gas mileage than any truck or SUV. Regardless, the point is you have choices, there is always a better option, but you have to take into consideration your needs and ultimately decide what's best for you.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #33
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Why is that ridiculous? And you think buying a sports car is a financially responsible decision. There is always something more economical. If the ultimate goal is to be as financially responsible as possible, then your only option is to own a car that is functional with no luxury options what so ever. No AC, no radio, no leather, just the bare minimums because that is what is financially responsible. Hell, if we were really financially responsible, we'd never buy a new car. We'd only buy used.

Big V8 Muscle cars serve no greater purpose than an SUV or Truck does. I could cram my wife and children into our Mazda 3. But I choose to comfortably tot em around in my Tahoe. At least a truck and SUV is functional, whether you need/use that functionality or not. What purpose does a v8 muscle car serve? None other than fulfilling your own indulgence. And mine too. Same as my Tahoe. I don't need it, I want it. Not a single person on this site needs a new camaro. Not one. But we all want one. Is that financially responsible?

Performance cars are at best just another car. They have little cargo room, less passenger space, and are often not comfortable. And even if you get the V6, you won't drive it like a V6. Because it's still a performance car. Therefore negating the total benefit of increased fuel economy. You can't argue that a camaro is a necessity any more than you can a truck/SUV isn't. Sports cars are more of a luxury than a truck/SUV is.

Sorry for the rant. But there is too much pot calling the kettle black for me.
am i pot or kettle??? let me be kettle!!!

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #34
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post

A lot more drivers now (millions?), but billions of Chinese etc do not have cars....since we pay them 12 cents per year to send us lead flavored dog food and toys etc....
Not one car per person. Point is with that many people in China, Asia and Russia they're going to use MORE gas than ever has been consumed at any point in time in history. Thus driving up prices, capacity and demand.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #35
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Quote:
This is hilarious with how much you guys are taking this to heart. Look, it's all relative, if you feel good about having purchased an SUV then why say anything at all? It really shouldn't bother you.

Most folks I know that have SUV's or trucks are either driving them less or looking for alternatives. Yes, a performance car is a wiser choice than an SUV or truck, because chances are almost all of them get better gas mileage than any truck or SUV. Regardless, the point is you have choices, there is always a better option, but you have to take into consideration your needs and ultimately decide what's best for you.
It SEEMS to bother you .... that your view is not shared...exactly... by ALL. I will not presume to assign you the 'feeling' of bothered.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #36
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Quote:
Not one car per person. Point is with that many people in China, Asia and Russia they're going to use MORE gas than ever has been consumed at any point in time in history. Thus driving up prices, capacity and demand.
agreed...

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #37
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:

Then I expect you to only buy the most economical car you can afford. If gas mileage is the only factor in making a wise choice, I hope you enjoy your Prius. Be sure to keep it under 60mph.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #38
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
am i pot or kettle??? let me be kettle!!!
Fine, But I wanted Kettle.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #39
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Quote:
Then I expect you to only buy the most economical car you can afford. If gas mileage is the only factor in making a wise choice, I hope you enjoy your Prius. Be sure to keep it under 60mph.
prius.....you wont let him buy a Chevy Volt, I hear they need the money...
something about makin up for bad business decisions....

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #40
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Quote:
Fine, But I wanted Kettle.
cant be pot....ucmj

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #41
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
cant be pot....ucmj
And it gives me the munchies...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #42
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
It SEEMS to bother you .... that your view is not shared...exactly... by ALL. I will not presume to assign you the 'feeling' of bothered.
Hmm, let's look at your initial response to my thoughts

Quote:
The majority of people who have the internet do not NEED it, and its price has gone up a lot...... are 'we' ridiculous too?
Or just people who may want something different than 'us'...they are all ridiculous?
My point, scotsman, was: calling people ridiculous.... unnecessary. the size of the excursion...THAT is ridiculous...
Nuff said.