Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #155
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyss View Post
I'd go for the Z28. From all indications it's going to be a barn burner and will run with the best of the Corvettes.
I'm sure the Z06 will outdo it.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #156
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f34/sup-26345/

Look at this. 3 out of the 8 replys are telling me to leave... wow that's just embarrassing. If I was an admin I'd be banning people left and right.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #157
bitchin_5th_gen

Drives: 57 chevy truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HINEY1 View Post
As reported on Homepage

Scott, Cheryl, John, Al, design guy?(forget his name?) and John Cox
These are the people you should thank for bringing the Camaro back to life!
They were in Carlisle PA showing off the Camaro (which was easy to do)
They answered all questions from the crowd....which brings me to the Z28.

I don't want this thread to be a boring talk again and again about the Z28 speculation.
  • There is no doubt that there will be a Z28
  • It will have the Z28 hood (like bumblebee 2)
  • It will have a different grill which will include the chevy bowtie somewhere (top executive decision making here)
  • It will probably have a different rear spoiler
  • It will have Z28 emblems and/or graphics
  • It will have a high output engine LS ? something (as long as it meets government standards for fuel economy)

They want you to enjoy the NEW Camaro, the way it is offered now, for the next couple years
Then, the convertible will be out in the spring of 2011
Then, the Z28 will probably come out a year later

That's it! Enjoy the pictures! Just thought I'd share them with you guys

OH ya.....I threw in a pic of Sam and Bryan (2 guys garage) doing a seminar under the big tent
haha that was great at the seminar when the next tent over flew away or were you at a different time?
bitchin_5th_gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #158
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
Like I said before, there is a dealership that is 4 miles away from my house that has 3 2SS's just sitting on their lot. And this is a very small dealership it's not a high volume dealership in a populated area., Come early summer, when 2011's are coming out, the camaro will be offered for 0%. I guarantee it
Sales Forcasting 101B:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
apparently you didn't understand my post correctly. If there are 4 (now 6) camaros sitting at a low volume dealership, just imagine how many are sitting at the high volume dealerships
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #159
tacotylert

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Red Jewel
z28 will blow gt500 away

if a gt500 is only around .3 of a second faster than the ss, and in a lot of cases where there are videos on youtube the gt500 is only .1 seconds faster than the ss imagine what the z28 will do to the gt500
tacotylert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #160
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

The weight will be more in the Caddy area.
You have an AWESOME sig!

Last edited by JusticePete; 12-02-2009 at 03:18 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #161
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotylert View Post
if a gt500 is only around .3 of a second faster than the ss, and in a lot of cases where there are videos on youtube the gt500 is only .1 seconds faster than the ss imagine what the z28 will do to the gt500
Keep on believing that. The best documented time in a 100% stock 2010 SS is 12.62 @ 110.30. The best documented time in a 2010 GT500 is 11.95 @ 120.29. That a huge difference when you are racing.

Yes, I know that the average 2010 GT500 might not be able to coax a high-11 second pass out of their car on street tires, but the average SS owner is not going to run mid-12's, either. I have yet to see any 2010 SS break out of the 13's in stock trim at my local 1/4 mile strip.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #162
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Keep on believing that. The best documented time in a 100% stock 2010 SS is 12.62 @ 110.30. The best documented time in a 2010 GT500 is 11.95 @ 120.29. That a huge difference when you are racing.

Yes, I know that the average 2010 GT500 might not be able to coax a high-11 second pass out of their car on street tires, but the average SS owner is not going to run mid-12's, either. I have yet to see any 2010 SS break out of the 13's in stock trim at my local 1/4 mile strip.
I fully expect to see a drop of substance in the ETs on the stock SS by the end of the 2010 summer season. Launching an IRS at the strip well is very different than launching a solid rear end. There is a learning curve that only time will address. The other factor is the LS series of engines doesn't break in until there are over 5k on the clock. There is more RWHP coming just from this. Can these two factors find .7 seconds. We will both know by September 2010.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #163
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I fully expect to see a drop of substance in the ETs on the stock SS by the end of the 2010 summer season. Launching an IRS at the strip well is very different than launching a solid rear end. There is a learning curve that only time will address. The other factor is the LS series of engines doesn't break in until there are over 5k on the clock. There is more RWHP coming just from this. Can these two factors find .7 seconds. We will both know by September 2010.
It is generally agreed it takes about 20-30hp to make up .1 in the quarter, or dropping 60ft times by .1 to gain .2 by the end of the quarter.

Let's say a "broken-in" motor makes 50hp more than a low mileage one (and that's a BIG stretch), that would only net you about .1-.2 in the quarter. That means, at best, you would need to drop .2-.3 second off your 60ft times on the street tires to equal the .7 number you threw out there. Coming from someone who raced a 2006 GTO with IRS, dropping that much time from your 60ft on a street tire, even in the best of conditions is going to be a huge challenge.

But, let's say you are right and it does happen. Do you think the same factors are not going to apply to the stock GT500? Those engines tend to make more power once broken-in, too. People will have also had more seat time behind the 2010 GT500 and likely learned how to launch them. Chances are, if those times have not been eclipsed in the cool fall weather of the last few months, it's probably not going to happen through the summer of next year.

In the end, the SS is not as close in performance to the GT500 as many want to believe. If it was, why would there be such a clamor for a higher-performance Z28? Just to have factory-performance bragging rights?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #164
JusticePete

Quote:
It is generally agreed it takes about 20-30hp to make up .1 in the quarter, or dropping 60ft times by .1 to gain .2 by the end of the quarter.

Let's say a "broken-in" motor makes 50hp more than a low mileage one (and that's a BIG stretch), that would only net you about .1-.2 in the quarter. That means, at best, you would need to drop .2-.3 second off your 60ft times on the street tires to equal the .7 number you threw out there. Coming from someone who raced a 2006 GTO with IRS, dropping that much time from your 60ft on a street tire, even in the best of conditions is going to be a huge challenge.

But, let's say you are right and it does happen. Do you think the same factors are not going to apply to the stock GT500? Those engines tend to make more power once broken-in, too. People will have also had more seat time behind the 2010 GT500 and likely learned how to launch them.

In the end, the SS is not as close in performance to the GT500 as many want to believe.
My dealers with dynos do not seem to see the same 20 RWHP gains in Fords they frequently see in the LS. but that would be the small potatoes gain. Launching the IRS consistently and well has the ability to pull tenths out of the times. As I said, time will tell and then the Z28 will hit the track.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #165
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
If it was, why would there be such a clamor for a higher-performance Z28? Just to have factory-performance bragging rights?
some just want a Z28. lol. and then the added bonus of the bragging rights will just come along with it.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #166
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
My dealers with dynos do not seem to see the same 20 RWHP gains in Fords they frequently see in the LS. but that would be the small potatoes gain.
So what are the special characteristics of the LS motors versus the modular family of engines that produces that result? Super-secret assembly techniques or component material known only to GM engineers? Highly doubtful. But like you said, it's not worth arguing about what little gain there might be.

Quote:
I think Launching the IRS consistently and well has the ability to pull tenths out of the times. As I said, time will tell and then the Z28 will hit the track.
No doubt, but in most cases, it's not going to make up the difference between the SS and and the GT500 if both drivers have equal seat time behind the wheel of their respective cars.

If the Z28 does get made and it does beat a stock GT500, great. Like I said, it's just bragging rights and means nothing once you begin modifiying the cars.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #167
JusticePete

Quote:
So what are the special characteristics of the LS motors versus the modular family of engines that produces that result? Super-secret assembly techniques or component material known only to GM engineers? Highly doubtful. But like you said, it's not worth arguing about what little gain there might be.

No doubt, but in most cases, it's not going to make up the difference between the SS and and the GT500 if both drivers have equal seat time behind the wheel of their respective cars.

If the Z28 does get made and it does beat a stock GT500, great. Like I said, it's just bragging rights and means nothing once you begin modifiying the cars.
It my be my ignorance of the finer points in Mustang driving, but launching a 2002 Mustang is little different than launching a 2010. The same is not true of a 2002 Camaro and a 2010. We will see in August where they stand up.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #168
LENN2010Z28

Drives: 2010 Camaro Z28
Z28 THEY SHOULD HAVE BUILT IT

HERE IS MY RECREATION OF WHAT GM SHOULD HAVE DONE SO ALL COULD AFORD IT THIS PIC WAS A THE 2010 GM NATIONAL IN PA LOOK AT THE GUYS LOOKING
Attached Images

LENN2010Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro z28, 2012 z28, camaro z28, new camaro z28, new z28, z28