Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
KEY FOB HELL

Ok let's start off by me saying that when I picked my 2019 SS up preowned from TEXAS NISSAN GRAPEVINE, it had only ONE FOB but I was promised the second and like a FOOL i thought OK and I took delivery of car despite feeling in back of my mind I might not EVER see that second FOB (I was right).

Anyhow, I get a FOB off EBAY for 35.00 dollars (compared to 150.00 retail at dealer) thinking NO PROBLEM, I will program it when it arrives. Checking in the manual, it gives you a PRECISE and a fairly lengthy procedure on how to PROGRAM the FOB.

Now here's the kicker, If you only have ONE working KEY FOB you have to do this procedure to REPROGRAM BOTH key fobs. So NO PROBLEM, I get the FIRST key fob reprogrammed (the one that was working to begin with) and the SECOND key fob (the ebay special) apparently is DEFECTIVE so it WILL NOT program. So I think to myself, NO PROBLEM I still can operate the car like I did prior to all this KEY FOB programming, RIGHT???

NO!!! The programming software basically is in a LOOP and turns on the infamous SERVICE THEFT DETERRENT system light. So then my ORIGINAL FOB while it CAN still lock and unlock the doors, the DAMN car does not recognize the FOB for purposes of starting.

Now in the middle of all this I leave BOTH FOBS in the car because under NORMAL circumstances, the car WILL NOT lock itself if it sees a FOB in the car. What GM doesnt tell you but I will is that during the programming stuck in loop process, the car DOES NOT recognize the FOBS and so the DAMN thing locks BOTH of my FOBS in the car .

WTF???? Ok so I call ONSTAR to get them to remotely UNLOCK the car so I can get back to my USELESS FOBS. OK so the very next morning, I know I probably need a trip to my GM dealer to get this theft deterrent situation cleared up.

So I found if you start the FOB programming process all over again (it takes about an hour), it will temporarily let you use the ONE FOB that it programs even when it is looking to program the second one.

I say temporarily because at this point you CAN NOT turn the car off because it WILL NOT restart because of the theft deterrent condition. So then I drive it straight to my dealer.

At the dealer I paid roughly 100.00 for a new GM FOB and 145.00 for programming. I also paid 37.50 to have the removable BLADE key cut to match my original FOB.

Here are the lessons to be learned:

1. Dont pick up your car without the SECOND KEY, Period.
2. Don't leave your FOBS in the car thinking you cant lock yourself out.
3. Dont guess what the theft deterrent system is going to do because GM doesnt want you to know and doesnt document it.
4. Probably BEST not to buy a FOB that you arent absolutely sure about it being GOOD.

BTW, my wife of 41 years thinks all of this is funny as hell and the neighbor is asking is me if I need one of her kids to come over and help me.

WTF!!!!
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Just out of curiosity, was the Ebay fob new or used? Was the metal key uncut?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Jeez, makes me want to go program a 3rd key just so if I do misplace one I have two left. Well on the bright side, you now have a good spare.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
1. Dont pick up your car without the SECOND KEY, Period.
I agree.
Your story is more hellish than mine, but anyway...

Bought a used Infiniti G37 coming off lease a few years back. Was only returned with one fob. I said I would not buy it unless they gave me a 2nd fob.
For some reason, not that easy... The solution I was offered was that they would throw in lost key insurance, and after a few months I would make a claim and get a new key "no problem." This was their idea.
Made the claim as planned, and the first thing the insurer did was deny the claim stating "they only replaced defective keys," which was not what their policy stated.
Round 2 - they stated I had to prove I received 2 keys when I bought the car or they did not have to honor their policy. Again, that is not what their policy says. It's called "lost key insurance" for a reason.
Round 3 - they agreed to cover the cost of the fob, but not the programming fee. I told the dealer this was some bright idea they had, and they agreed to program for free.

So, always get 2 keys before you walk out the door! And never buy this insurance product!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Just out of curiosity, was the Ebay fob new or used? Was the metal key uncut?
Great Question. It was SUPPOSED to be new but it didnt look it and the blade was UNCUT.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Great Question. It was SUPPOSED to be new but it didnt look it and the blade was UNCUT.
That's the risk/reward gamble of Ebay. I bought a fob a couple years ago that I was able to program as a third for 45 bucks. Luck of the draw sometimes. Unfortunately, it cost you way more than the defective fob.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote