Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
D2enigma

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have no problem paying a bit more if this product is legal in California. I was told that it would be when it becomes available and will have a CARB ID for certification. I am just waiting for confirmation from GM on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
BrandX
Camaro Again?

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
........or maybe GM is reluctant to release this intake since the gains of all the intakes on the market are questionable. I am thinking the factory setup is very efficient and flows very well for its intended purpose. I have always changed the intakes, but thinking of staying stock.

Mishimoto may be on the something with an improved intake tube, that may be the way to go.....
Old 07-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
quikag

Drives: 2SS '16 Camaro
Ford just released three different power kits for the Mustang GT based on GT350 tech. Highest packages adds 37 peak hp for less than $3k. So takes the Mustang to over 470hp.

Hope Chevy responds.

Also:
2010 ZR1
2018 GT3
2013 LX570
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #18
KoolHyperBlue

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS -NPP,Mag Ride
Cold air intakes are a waste of money . They will mess up ur air flow without getting a tune . Trust me as it's happened to me . I put a cold air Intake on my previous 2012 2ss and it ran like shit until I had it tuned . They market this crap so well to get our money . Don't waste ur money on this . Some good headers and a tune is enough for the V8 and just get a tune with no mods . That's what I did and my car is running like a beast
KoolHyperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #19
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolHyperBlue View Post
Cold air intakes are a waste of money . They will mess up ur air flow without getting a tune . Trust me as it's happened to me . I put a cold air Intake on my previous 2012 2ss and it ran like shit until I had it tuned . They market this crap so well to get our money . Don't waste ur money on this . Some good headers and a tune is enough for the V8 and just get a tune with no mods . That's what I did and my car is running like a beast
I have a hard time believing Chevy will release something that is going to make a car run "like crap".
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #20
KoolHyperBlue

. CAI are just a waste . If you put a CAI on and don't tune the car then it will run like crap yes . That's a given cuz your MAF sensor will be getting higher readings . Speak to any expert on tuning and they will tell you why a car needs to be tuned after adding an Intake . These companies lie cuz they just want ur money. I have a 2015 C7 that I put on a Dyno before adding a CAI , so we got the MAF readings and guess what ? After I put the AFE intake on my 2015 C7 , the readings were still similar . Nothing dramatic
Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #21
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
It's not gonna make the car run like crap . CAI are just a waste . If you put a CAI on and don't tune the car then it will run like crap yes . That's a given cuz your MAF sensor will be getting higher readings . Speak to any expert on tuning and they will tell you why a car needs to be tuned after adding an Intake . These companies lie cuz they just want ur money
I could have sworn I read that the CAI from Chevy comes with a tune as well?!

A tune does help but I'm not going to risk my powertrain warranty for a few HP. Which is why if it does come with a tune from Chevy, then that's great!

If Chevy DOES release the intake and can prove better airflow with like 10-15HP, then it's worth it. Any CAI will make the throttle feel livelier as well.

If not then oh well.. luckily the LT1 makes plenty of power from factory.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #22
KoolHyperBlue

If you want to spend money then spend it wisely and start with ARH headers . They will give you a dramatic boost in HP and torque then Have the car tuned by a professional and your car will be totally different .
Old 07-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #23
KoolHyperBlue

people are always paranoid about loosing the warranty if their car is tuned . I have had all my cars professionally tuned and they been to the dealer after being tuned and never had any issues with warranty claims . Actually my last Camaro a 2012 2SS was tuned and something was wrong with the ECM and I had to bring the car in . Guess what ? They asked me if I had my car tuned and I said no . I denied ever having it tuned and they gave me a new ECM and covered it all under warranty .
Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #24
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
people are always paranoid about loosing the warranty if their car is tuned . I have had all my cars professionally tuned and they been to the dealer after being tuned and never had any issues with warranty claims . Actually my last Camaro a 2012 2SS was tuned and something was wrong with the ECM and I had to bring the car in . Guess what ? They asked me if I had my car tuned and I said no . I denied ever having it tuned and they gave me a new ECM and covered it all under warranty .
That's cool and you have a great dealership. My dealerships around here? Not so much! I would love to tune my car with headers/CAI.. but these Chevy dealers around Los Angeles are not mod friendly. Just asking them if a catback exhaust can void my powetrain warranty and they'll like.. I don't knowwww.. SMH!

Wish I worked at the one of these dealerships and have a good relationships with the service manager lol
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #25
ender2664
Account Suspended

I want the Chevy intake for the sound and 100% confidence that my warranty is intact. Headers are too expensive and a major hassle in ca.

Last edited by ender2664; 07-31-2016 at 08:23 PM.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:13 PM   #26
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
They have good reason to be paranoid. If you rewrite the tune file and the motor lets go and actually think GM wont be able to find the file altering your kidding yourself.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:06 PM   #27
D2enigma

Warranty is an important factor and that's my reason for wanting the GM certified product. Another is CARB cert for California so that what I add is legal and not have to worry about being fined. I asked a cop about it and he told me that they would never have me pop open a hood when I get pulled over, but you just never know.

As for the performance, adding 10hp to v8 is not going to be noticeable. It's more of a cosmetic thing I guess. Then again, so are bunch of other mods. I just find that seeing CAI under the hood really looks cool. Just my honest opinion

Still no word from GM on whether this item is legal in California. I am going to wait until that is confirmed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #28
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2enigma View Post
Warranty is an important factor and that's my reason for wanting the GM certified product. Another is CARB cert for California so that what I add is legal and not have to worry about being fined. I asked a cop about it and he told me that they would never have me pop open a hood when I get pulled over, but you just never know.

As for the performance, adding 10hp to v8 is not going to be noticeable. It's more of a cosmetic thing I guess. Then again, so are bunch of other mods. I just find that seeing CAI under the hood really looks cool. Just my honest opinion

Still no word from GM on whether this item is legal in California. I am going to wait until that is confirmed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Probably the quickest way to find out if its legal in California is to go try and buy one at your local dealership. Usually its illegal to even sell in Ca. So logically if you can buy it, its good to go.