Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
Nataphen

Drives: None
First e85 6th gen Camaro!!

FF sensors have their issues too as they can't account for moisture in the system. The car adjusts quickly enough using the O2 sensors that your fueling is corrected almost immediately. Either way works, it's just that you don't have to splice in a harness doing it the other way. AED showed a video of the AFR adjusting from a switch to E85 on the dyno, and it took less than 4 minutes of part throttle driving to fully adjust without using a FF sensor.

http://youtu.be/hH-QdHqFhN4
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
bobshannon22

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Can you go in depth about the pros and cons with e85 for the 16ss specially. In my case it is a daily. I will be getting a tune also. The flex full sensor was all that was needed? Can you link the part?
Old 03-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #17
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshannon22 View Post
Can you go in depth about the pros and cons with e85 for the 16ss specially. In my case it is a daily. I will be getting a tune also. The flex full sensor was all that was needed? Can you link the part?
If it's your daily, you won't want E85...it will cut your mileage down by about 50%.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #18
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
The biggest pro is for boosted cars. It is high octane fuel for a low price and you can get it at many places.

The con is you use ~30% more of it.

I would like to know a lot more about our fuel system and what options we have to increase the output. How much hp can it handle stock? How much running e85? What runs out first the high pressure pump or the transfer pump. What upgrades are available and how much hp can then be supported.
parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #19
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
I spoke with Troy Gleason at Cunningham Motorsports about this and they are still trying to work out the kinks in this conversion. It's not available to the public yet. There's a video of their 6th gen shop car with just an E85 conversion and tune doing a roll race with a modded evo and modded mustang gt and it just left both of them in the dust. The chase car was that was filming was a twin turbo Camaro that was able to keep up but man that 6th gen was fast.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #20
Nataphen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyscorpion951 View Post
I spoke with Troy Gleason at Cunningham Motorsports about this and they are still trying to work out the kinks in this conversion. It's not available to the public yet. There's a video of their 6th gen shop car with just an E85 conversion and tune doing a roll race with a modded evo and modded mustang gt and it just left both of them in the dust. The chase car was that was filming was a twin turbo Camaro that was able to keep up but man that 6th gen was fast.

The way that 6G Camaro walks that bolt-on 5.0 is impressive! E85, tune, and A8 make for a potent combo.

Last edited by Nataphen; 03-01-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
Nataphen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
If it's your daily, you won't want E85...it will cut your mileage down by about 50%.

Only because you want to keep your foot in it more because of the extra power, LOL. A true 85% E85 will use 33% more fuel than a true 0% ethanol content gasoline if you drive the car exactly the same way on both fuels. The problem with that equation is that almost all gas is at least E10 now, and some is as high as E20. If you go from E10 to E85, you'll use 30% more fuel. E20 to E85 will use 27% more fuel.

The sweet spot for a naturally aspirated car is to find a station that sells E70. You'll get all the performance of E85 with minimal impact on mileage. E70 will only use 20%-24% more fuel than E10-E20. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Last edited by Nataphen; 03-05-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
Only because you want to keep your foot in it more because of the extra power, LOL. A true 85% E85 will use 33% more fuel than a true 0% ethanol content gasoline if you drive the car exactly the same way on both fuels. The problem with that equation is that almost all gas is at least E10 now, and some is as high as E20. If you go from E10 to E85, you'll use 30% more fuel. E20 to E85 will use 27% more fuel.

The sweet spot for a naturally aspirated car is to find a station that sells E70. You'll get all the performance of E85 with minimal impact on mileage. E70 with only use 20%-24% more fuel than E10-E20. Hope this is helpful to someone.
When I had the E85 map on in my BMW, I would pump a certain amount of E85 and a certain amount of 91 to get about an E50mix. My gas mileage didn't drop much at all. Maybe 2-3mpg on the freeway. I average about 31mpg on my commute so it really only affected it about 10% in real world driving. I'm sure it would have been more in city driving though.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #23
Nataphen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
When I had the E85 map on in my BMW, I would pump a certain amount of E85 and a certain amount of 91 to get about an E50mix. My gas mileage didn't drop much at all. Maybe 2-3mpg on the freeway. I average about 31mpg on my commute so it really only affected it about 10% in real world driving. I'm sure it would have been more in city driving though.

Mazdaspeed and Focus ST folks do this as well. With forced induction, the higher the ethanol content, the better the power. It keeps the combustion temps so much cooler that turbos and superchargers love it. The problem at that point with most direct injection fuel systems is that they can't move that much fuel. Most use E50 because the fuel system can't handle much higher ethanol content than that, and you still get much more power than a gasoline tune.

On an NA engine, anything past E60 is going to give indistinguishable gains, but mixing fuels is a bit of a pain. Whatever they sell at the pump will do just fine for me. Thankfully, I think the LT1 fuel system has a lot of headroom, and it can handle the volume that higher ethanol content fuels require. Maybe not if you do a really big NA power build, but it's fine for the usual round of upgrades as far as I know.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #24
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
That's the beauty of a ethonal sensor integrated with the car. You don't have to get an exact mixture for the car to compensate correctly.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #25
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
FF sensors have their issues too as they can't account for moisture in the system. The car adjusts quickly enough using the O2 sensors that your fueling is corrected almost immediately. Either way works, it's just that you don't have to splice in a harness doing it the other way. AED showed a video of the AFR adjusting from a switch to E85 on the dyno, and it took less than 4 minutes of part throttle driving to fully adjust without using a FF sensor.

http://youtu.be/hH-QdHqFhN4
Adjusting off 02s is a really poor way for dong it. It's not all e85 or all e10. Knowing the percentage of alcohol can only be considered a good thing. Yes it may not take all variables into account, but you're starting with a much more accurate number. GM cars use the sensor and still adjust off 02s using fuel trims to adjust as needed.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #26
Nataphen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Adjusting off 02s is a really poor way for dong it. It's not all e85 or all e10. Knowing the percentage of alcohol can only be considered a good thing. Yes it may not take all variables into account, but you're starting with a much more accurate number. GM cars use the sensor and still adjust off 02s using fuel trims to adjust as needed.

I wasn't saying it couldn't adjust to different levels of ethanol. The tune in that video is a flex fuel tune also, he was just showing how quickly it can adjust. I agree that tuning off of the FF sensor and the O2 sensors is the best way.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #27
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyscorpion951 View Post
Link?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #28
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list

*not my car, just the result of when people rush things into production chasing the almighty dollar and do not test them appropriately.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote