Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
First e85 6th gen Camaro!!

Before we took delivery of our 6th gen, we've been kicking around ideas on what to do with this car and how to get the biggest gains. A no brainer with this platform is e85. Luckily, we have a lot of stations in Southern California that have e85 on the pump so it isn't hard to find. We were hopeful for around 20whp.

First, we ordered a simple Flex Fuel sensor and harness.

Install was relatively simple and doesn't require crazy tools. Almost anyone can tackle this install. Probably around a hour of work to install.

After the install, we pumped some e85 into the tank and put it on the dyno. Keep in mind that we mixed this with pump and were showing only 52% ethanol. There's still more power to be had here.

This is the only mod we've made to this car. Everything else is bone stock.

With a basic flex fuel sensor and e85 (with a custom tune using HP Tuners software) we went from our baseline of 394rwhp/392rwtq to 427rwhp/428rwtq. That's +33rwhp and +36rwtq from e85 only!!

Keep in mind we ran out of time to completely drain the tank so there's still a couple gallons of 91 mixed in. There's more power to be had here.

We are extremely impressed with our 2016 Camaro so far!

For people that ask about the "low" dyno numbers, we have a Mustang Dyno. They are one of the most accurate dyno's around. They account for weight of the car and even the wind resistance on the vehicle at speed. This is why there's a difference but believe the gains!

The next step for us is a cam kit, intake, and headers
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Good deal. I've ran E85 in my tuned BMW's and those turbo motors love it. Any idea of the duty cycle on the injectors? No issues with the additional flow? Is this mod reversible with no signs of the mod for warranty work or do you need to tap into the stock harness or cut fuel lines?

Last edited by Eric SS; 01-04-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Good deal. I've ran E85 in my tuned BMW's and those turbo motors love it. Any idea of the duty cycle on the injectors? No issues with the additional flow? Is this mod reversible with no signs of the mod for warranty work or do you need to tape into the stock harness or cut fuel lines?
We don't recall but there's plenty of injector left. The PCM needs to be flashed to make this modification yield power and a new fuel line should be purchased so you don't have to cut the stock unit. Flashing the PCM will result in a voided warranty. If you want to retain the warranty, we suggest buying a separate PCM that will be left stock with no flash.
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS View Post
We don't recall but there's plenty of injector left. The PCM needs to be flashed to make this modification yield power and a new fuel line should be purchased so you don't have to cut the stock unit. Flashing the PCM will result in a voided warranty. If you want to retain the warranty, we suggest buying a separate PCM that will be left stock with no flash.
I missed the part about the custom tune sorry. I thought this was on a stock ECM. So all parameters were left the same between the E85 and 91 octane and you left it to the PCM to determine timing, duty cycle, mixture, etc. The maps were the same so you don't have to switch maps to go between 91 and E85? Nice.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
Nataphen

Drives: None
First e85 6th gen Camaro!!

Would you be willing to post the dyno graphs from the stock pull and the E85 plus headers pull overlaid? I'd love to see exactly where all it's gaining. Thank you in advance!
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
ugh this is too tempting
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
The maps were the same so you don't have to switch maps to go between 91 and E85? Nice.

if i can answer

in a nutshell, there is a separate correction table for ethanol.
it would have increments from 0% to 100% ethanol. it then applies those factors to the current tables.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
Luigi91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Is this doable without a tune? I don't really know much about this. Is it harder on the engine or components? Why would you need new fuel lines?
Luigi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Country Boy

Drives: Eh..
I'm suprised they're not E85 compatible from the factory. Interesting.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
if i can answer

in a nutshell, there is a separate correction table for ethanol.
it would have increments from 0% to 100% ethanol. it then applies those factors to the current tables.
Does the Camaro come with an ethanol sensor like E85 compatible car? Without one,I don't believe it has the ability to do this and adjust automatically. In my BMW, you have to manually switch between maps unless you purchase an E85 content sensor to go in line with the fuel.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #12
6spdhyperblue

That's the flex fuel sensor they installed
Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
Nataphen

Drives: None
Quote:
Does the Camaro come with an ethanol sensor like E85 compatible car? Without one,I don't believe it has the ability to do this and adjust automatically. In my BMW, you have to manually switch between maps unless you purchase an E85 content sensor to go in line with the fuel.

Even cars without flex fuel sensors are getting to the point that you can tune off the primary O2 sensors for a flex fuel tune. There may come a time when you don't even have to splice in a sensor for the GMs and it can all be done in tuning. With the Fords, the ECU adjusts the fueling through the primary O2 lambda reading. Once it senses the fuel being burned is at a certain ethanol content, it switches over to a more aggressive tune. I bet the GM ECU has the same capabilities.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
GM vehicles can adjust too, but they are not going to know the alcohol content without a sensor. Gm used to use "virtual sensors" like Ford did, but now they are doing it the right way.

Tuning off the primary 02 sensors is a really shitty way to do it, that's not what they were designed to do and the car will constantly be chasing its tail.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote