Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
Turk,
Have you had a chance to use the factory nav ($495 option) yet?
OR did you not get it and instead use the apple car play?

I know when it came out on the new 2014 chevy impala, the nav. system took FOREVER!! to process information. Still used the 3G network.
Should be fast as the car is an LTE hotspot....which by the way, does anybody know the monthly cost of this?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #16
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Apple Car Play (Android version coming soon too) + plus 8" screen + any navigation app you want. No point in getting the factory navigation, plus the apps update their maps much more often...
This.

+1
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #17
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
Turk,
Have you had a chance to use the factory nav ($495 option) yet?
OR did you not get it and instead use the apple car play?

I know when it came out on the new 2014 chevy impala, the nav. system took FOREVER!! to process information. Still used the 3G network.
I did use the factory nav, it is pretty damn fast actually. We plugged in my wife's iphone (I have a motorola turbo) to check out apple car play, it's pretty neat. I called onstar to send me navigation directly to my navi which was pretty cool for me as I have never owned Onstar lol. You can literally hit the OnStar button and tell em to send you a route directly anywhere without doing anything lol.

Quote:
Should be fast as the car is an LTE hotspot....which by the way, does anybody know the monthly cost of this?

It is pretty damn fast, not only LTE 4g BUT also WiFi too!!! Here are the pricing:

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing.html

I cannot remember but I either get 3 months or 6 months for free on all the features. Only get the 5 year basic plan for FREE.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I did use the factory nav, it is pretty damn fast actually. We plugged in my wife's iphone (I have a motorola turbo) to check out apple car play, it's pretty neat. I called onstar to send me navigation directly to my navi which was pretty cool for me as I have never owned Onstar lol. You can literally hit the OnStar button and tell em to send you a route directly anywhere without doing anything lol.

It is pretty damn fast, not only LTE 4g BUT also WiFi too!!! Here are the pricing:

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing.html

I cannot remember but I either get 3 months or 6 months for free on all the features. Only get the 5 year basic plan for FREE.
Once my free OnStar plans runs out I was't going to continue with it. I see it seems you can just get the LTE/WiFi though. But the prices are just okay, I think it would be cheaper to bump up my data on my mobile phone service and just use that...I will have to look into it more.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #19
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Apple Car Play (Android version coming soon too) + plus 8" screen + any navigation app you want. No point in getting the factory navigation, plus the apps update their maps much more often...
this sums it up perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Nav is for people with windows, blackberry, or flip phones.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Once my free OnStar plans runs out I was't going to continue with it. I see it seems you can just get the LTE/WiFi though. But the prices are just okay, I think it would be cheaper to bump up my data on my mobile phone service and just use that...I will have to look into it more.
It will be definitely be cheaper to use your phone. The only advantage the myLink LTE hotspot offers is a larger antenna.

To the OP, you are set if you have a newer Android/iPhone, since CarPlay/AndroidAuto comes standard on the 7" screen on the 1LT.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #21
Clarkson

Drives: 2013 volkswagen tiguan
So it seems that there's no need for NAV then... Personally i think its generous for chevy to gave the base model a 7inch touch screen and as far as i know, there isn't too much difference except for the size?
Clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #22
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson View Post
So it seems that there's no need for NAV then... Personally i think its generous for chevy to gave the base model a 7inch touch screen and as far as i know, there isn't too much difference except for the size?
The UI looks different. Not sure how much else is really different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
The only thing that is great about the OnStar hotspot/wifi is the fact that you CAN just pay like 15 bucks for a 3 day pass. Using the hotspot data for that weekend will be much cheaper than having to pay your cell phone carrier data chargers and if you use Wifi, it will be free (well, free after the 15 bucks pass).
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Hopefully the data through On-star will work like making calls through it and will work in places where your cell phone will not.

It was several years ago, but I made a phone call through On-star from on top of a mountain in Yellowstone National Park and had zero bars of service on my cell phone.
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #25
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
Hopefully the data through On-star will work like making calls through it and will work in places where your cell phone will not.

It was several years ago, but I made a phone call through On-star from on top of a mountain in Yellowstone National Park and had zero bars of service on my cell phone.
That's because the car's antenna is larger than your phone. It works no different than your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #26
chrismarvin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I wasn't going to get nav, but ended up putting a deposit on a car in transit that has the option. I honestly only see myself using it if my phone dies. But I always have a charger in the car with me. So if for some reason I dont know where I am going in the 5 min it takes to turn my phone on while being charged (iPhone user.. no clue why it can't turn on as soon as plugged in), that would be the only time I ever use it.