Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-14-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Replacement Summer Tire Question

I'm contemplating new tires for my ZL-1 and would appreciate hearing the collective wisdom. My car is only street driven in the summer, and if I get caught in the rain, I will slow down or pull over, so I don't need bad weather capability.

The original stock tires don't warm up on the street and the Michelin PS4S tires I have now don't have a great feel (maybe because they are old), so I am considering something new.

I would like a grippy tire that warms up pretty quickly for normal summer sport driving. Tire Rack shows Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pirelli P Zeros, and Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02s, as potential likely contenders. What are your thoughts on these tires? Or should I stick with the PS4s? Any other tires that might work that I have not mentioned?

Any feed back is welcome.

Thanks.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:59 PM   #2
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I'm contemplating new tires for my ZL-1 and would appreciate hearing the collective wisdom. My car is only street driven in the summer, and if I get caught in the rain, I will slow down or pull over, so I don't need bad weather capability.

The original stock tires don't warm up on the street and the Michelin PS4S tires I have now don't have a great feel (maybe because they are old), so I am considering something new.

I would like a grippy tire that warms up pretty quickly for normal summer sport driving. Tire Rack shows Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pirelli P Zeros, and Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02s, as potential likely contenders. What are your thoughts on these tires? Or should I stick with the PS4s? Any other tires that might work that I have not mentioned?

Thanks.
I would stick with the PS4S. Its probably the best street tire you can get. The Super Sport is the old previous iteration of the PS4S and P Zero is not even close to the perfomance of the PS4S. The Extreme Contact Sport 02 is the newest of the bunch, but I haven't heard it being superior to the PS4S.

You could try something stickier like the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD09. I am not too sure how quickly it warms up compared to the PS4S though.
Tay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:08 PM   #3
Mark R

Thank you.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
The Extreme Contact Sport 02 is the newest of the bunch, but I haven't heard it being superior to the PS4S.
The PS4S and ECS2 are very, very close. The PS4S is probably the better tire for the use case, but not by a whole lot. It might be a more difficult question if price could be a factor. I haven't looked at pricing lately, but the Contis are usually considerably less expensive to the point it's hard to justify the extra cost for the extra performance you're unlikely to be able to notice on the street. They're both really good.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I had the ECS not the 02, and i didnt like them on my 1LE, sidewall felt soft and the car had a push on the front end that wasnt there with the SC3. The rear tire i felt was OK, i just wouldnt buy another Conti tire. Too those tires wouldnt take or hold a dressing for anything, there was something in or on them that took a lot of cleaning and then they still couldn't look good.
When get bavk to summer weather im pretty sure for me its SC3 or the original PSS.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:31 PM   #6
Mark R

I think I'll try the Continentals. The guy in this video liked them as much as the PS4S and said they are at least a 6 year newer design than the PS4S. On Tire Rack, they are also $170 cheaper per set.

I'll report back in the spring...
Old 12-14-2023, 06:45 PM   #7
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
SS 1LE here but I drove the 4S on my buddy's SS 1LE and hated its feel and response vs the SuperCar3. Decided to try the Pilot Super Sports on my car, BMW Star on the front, Ferrari K3 on the rear. Great decision. They feel great, as responsive as the 3, might be a touch more precise, with better wet performance.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:50 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I think I'll try the Continentals. The guy in this video liked them as much as the PS4S and said they are at least a 6 year newer design than the PS4S. On Tire Rack, they are also $170 cheaper per set.

I'll report back in the spring...
The fact that the Contis were unable to unequivocally beat the PS4S in this test despite being a 6 year newer design speaks volumes about the quality of these Michelins.

By the way, the PS4S is not simply an overall improvement over its predecessor, the PSS, but an evolution of that tire with deliberately increased "mass appeal" in terms of sidewall softness and esthetics (the modern looking, zero bulge vertical sidewall drop of the PS4S is a sales booster). As a result, however, steering feel and turn-in were somewhat compromised to allow for superior ride quality and, to some degree, tire noise.

This in turn means that if you want a dartier, sportier tire with more feedback and better on-center feel, and you're okay with a very slightly rougher and noisier ride, the "old" PSS can make a lot of sense, I guess that's why it is still being sold after umpteen years and even its successor getting long in the tooth.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:36 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:

Thanks.
No tire is going to "warm up quickly" on the street. Get that idea right out of your head.

If you want sticky street summer tires, go with what the big power boys-n-girls use.

Otherwise, maybe the GYSC3R's might give you the grip you want... since you aren't worried about wet.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:50 PM   #10
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
No tire is going to "warm up quickly" on the street. Get that idea right out of your head.

If you want sticky street summer tires, go with what the big power boys-n-girls use.

Otherwise, maybe the GYSC3R's might give you the grip you want... since you aren't worried about wet.
Agree with you here . I'm basically in the same boat as far as driving conditions as the OP and may be in the minority, but I really like the SC3'S on my Z and when the time comes will be replacing them with SC3'S. I don't and won't drive on wet roads so that makes the most sense to me. For those that do drive in damp/wet conditions I can see why some might consider a different tire for that.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:33 AM   #11
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The fact that the Contis were unable to unequivocally beat the PS4S in this test despite being a 6 year newer design speaks volumes about the quality of these Michelins.

By the way, the PS4S is not simply an overall improvement over its predecessor, the PSS, but an evolution of that tire with deliberately increased "mass appeal" in terms of sidewall softness and esthetics (the modern looking, zero bulge vertical sidewall drop of the PS4S is a sales booster). As a result, however, steering feel and turn-in were somewhat compromised to allow for superior ride quality and, to some degree, tire noise.

This in turn means that if you want a dartier, sportier tire with more feedback and better on-center feel, and you're okay with a very slightly rougher and noisier ride, the "old" PSS can make a lot of sense, I guess that's why it is still being sold after umpteen years and even its successor getting long in the tooth.
Good info
Old 12-15-2023, 12:40 AM   #12
Tay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

GYSC3R an excellent track tire but probably one of the worst tires for the street. Its almost dangerous.

It takes about 2 to 3 laps to get up to temperature on the track. It will probably never get up to temperature on the street.

GYSC3 is a great dual purpose street/track day tire.

PS4S will have the most immediate grip.

The Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02 sounds like it would be another good option.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:24 AM   #13
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

This is my problem with the PS4S when I research it. Its more livable for most on the day-to-day but that squishy sidewall isn't for me. Which is what I thought of the older ECS. That tire had to take a second to roll over and then bite and then it still had a push. On my 1LE hard on the street, I couldn't drive that car at all like I had with the SC3.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 07:33 AM   #14
Big Swole
The Poe Poe

Drives: 17 911 Turbo S, 23' 2SS1LE, 06 S2K
I have experience with all three.

PS4S's
Conti's Ex.spt. contact
and now, the SC3's on my 2SS1LE

PS4S is a great all around with probably the best grip in rain / cooler temps.

Conti's are great on my S2K!!! On my 2nd set of wheels for my Turbo S, they're pretty good but make WAY more noise in the corners and are a bit more Playful (meaning a little loose but controllable and fun)

SC3's have impressed me for sure... Seem to take longer to warm up but once up to temp have great grip levels.

If rain is in your future and still want to stay on Summer tires, I'd say PS4S.
2016 RAM Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel - Silver

Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote