Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-18-2023, 05:14 PM   #29
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I wondering how the prochager with the factory box compares to the one with the air filter sticking out the back?
Honestly I can't tell the difference. I have the factory box and was told by procharger there is about a 2 psi (equating to 35 hp) loss because of all the curves that the air has to flow through. At one point I had the filter off of my old rotofab hooked up and after dynoing the car I was told it made no difference than using the factory box. So I put the original setup back. I have driven mines and a friends that has the filter over the back and no different to me. Mines just looks better.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:04 PM   #30
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
2 PSI drop is no joke.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:30 AM   #31
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Thank you for all the recommendations guys I really appreciate it.

Zeprocks1 Please feel free to call me with any questions 203-753-7223.

I will be glad to guide you on your quest for power and reliability.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:30 PM   #32
oldman

since you sell both superchargers and NA packages, I would be interested on your take?
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 10-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #33
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
since you sell both superchargers and NA packages, I would be interested on your take?
Certainly can you be more specific?
Old 10-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #34
oldman

The OP has really a general question but one I'm sure is asked all the time. My take is it depends and for many reasons I like NA, that said because my car is mainly a cars and coffee show piece, I like the supercharger just for the bling, I'll probably go with a hi-ram and cut hood just for the bling too. For everyday fun, drivability and usable power I really like the NA as I felt it was about the max torque / power I could use on the street and still control. I also like the sound of a high RPM V8 through LT headers and cats.

Since you done dunno hundred of these, I'm sure you have customer feedback. Of course many people justify their decisions; but I'm sure many have gone one way and the other.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:19 AM   #35
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
The OP has really a general question but one I'm sure is asked all the time. My take is it depends and for many reasons I like NA, that said because my car is mainly a cars and coffee show piece, I like the supercharger just for the bling, I'll probably go with a hi-ram and cut hood just for the bling too. For everyday fun, drivability and usable power I really like the NA as I felt it was about the max torque / power I could use on the street and still control. I also like the sound of a high RPM V8 through LT headers and cats.

Since you done dun hundred of these, I'm sure you have customer feedback. Of course many people justify their decisions; but I'm sure many have gone one way and the other.
In this case it would be more about my personal preference and Power Per dollar spent.

Everyone is chasing a certain power level there is no denying boost is the easiest way to get that.

NA builds above 75 additional HP start to get very expensive and head toward Race Car rather than powerful Daily driver weekend warrior especially with these LT with DOD lifters, and where the engine is glued together and the oil pump won't come off unless you pull the pan with pushes us in to total engine removal and tear down.

You can't just slide a cam in anymore.

Boosted build can have all the creature comforts at 200 RWHP higher than stock without pulling the heads.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:23 AM   #36
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
In this case it would be more about my personal preference and Power Per dollar spent.

Everyone is chasing a certain power level there is no denying boost is the easiest way to get that.

NA builds above 75 additional HP start to get very expensive and head toward Race Car rather than powerful Daily driver weekend warrior especially with these LT with DOD lifters, and where the engine is glued together and the oil pump won't come off unless you pull the pan with pushes us in to total engine removal and tear down.

Boosted build can have all the creature comforts at 200 RWHP higher than stock without pulling the heads.
How reliable are the DOD lifters with the added power?
How much safer are the DOD lifters after turning off the AFM in your experience? Are they actually safer after turning off DOD?

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:37 AM   #37
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
How reliable are the DOD lifters with the added power?
How much safer are the DOD lifters after turning off the AFM in your experience? Are they actually safer after turning off DOD?
DOD lifters do not fail from power.

They fail from lack of oil changes or over revving.

So if you take care of these 2 the have been extremely reliable.

Turning off DOD prevents them from every going in to 4 cylinder mode.

Varnish causes them to stick collapsed and ticking.

Ted.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:48 AM   #38
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
DOD lifters do not fail from power.

They fail from lack of oil changes or over revving.

So if you take care of these 2 the have been extremely reliable.

Turning off DOD prevents them from every going in to 4 cylinder mode.

Varnish causes them to stick collapsed and ticking.

Ted.
So I’ve seen way too many instances of 2021/2022 (haven’t seen many 23’s yet but they are younger) GM trucks and suvs with lifter failure. Would you say GM’s oil life monitor or recommend oil change intervals are to blame or do you still believe it’s strictly due to owners pushing off their oil changes?

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:50 AM   #39
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
So I’ve seen way too many instances of 2021/2022 (haven’t seen many 23’s yet but they are younger) GM trucks and suvs with lifter failure. Would you say GM’s oil life monitor or recommend oil change intervals are to blame or do you still believe it’s strictly due to owners pushing off their oil changes?
A little of Both.

Oil change monitors push the Life of the oil for EPA and Sales reasons.

Many Owners barely know how to put gas in them never mind check the oil and are too busy with facebook to change the oil on the transportation that takes them to work. End rant LOL.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:07 PM   #40
oldman

I dropped my pan on my fist cam change, there are guys that say you can wiggle the cam gear off and then pull the cam; without taking off the pump / pan. I never tried it, I just figure it was true just I could not do it.

Since my labor is free I can see how I feel there was some good bang for the buck NA, I can see adding in labor that FI is cheaper.

Also let me add my ride is a manual and hence it is really traction limited on 220+ wear tires (heck it is traction limited on 100 wear drag radials)....
Old 11-01-2023, 09:50 AM   #41
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:

Agree... when I talked to Lingenfelter several years ago they said that they sell the Magnuson kit 10:1 over their NA package. They said it's the same cost for more power and a lot more torque with no drivability loss and that is what most want. Most enthusiasts cannot do the work themselves based on not having the ability, tools, and/or space to do it. So, you have to factor all that in.

Over the weekend I was out at the last car meet of the year and there was a guy that has a built NA 6th gen. It's a 14:1, CID heads, GPI track attack cam, Hi ram, 4500 stall car. He said he very seldom drives it anymore. While it's fast, he claimed that it was no longer any fun to drive on the street. He wants to switch to a mild build with boost.

You have provided a wealth of information on this forum especially in the early days of 6th gen development. We had some good conversation years ago. Learned a lot from you and Pray.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:57 AM   #42
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Agree... when I talked to Lingenfelter several years ago they said that they sell the Magnuson kit 10:1 over their NA package. They said it's the same cost for more power and a lot more torque with no drivability loss and that is what most want. Most enthusiasts cannot do the work themselves based on not having the ability, tools, and/or space to do it. So, you have to factor all that in.

Over the weekend I was out at the last car meet of the year and there was a guy that has a built NA 6th gen. It's a 14:1, CID heads, GPI track attack cam, Hi ram, 4500 stall car. He said he very seldom drives it anymore. While it's fast, he claimed that it was no longer any fun to drive on the street. He wants to switch to a mild build with boost.

You have provided a wealth of information on this forum especially in the early days of 6th gen development. We had some good conversation years ago. Learned a lot from you and Pray.
Thanks Brother always a pleasure.