Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #43
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
I guess the point I attempted to make was missed.

If anyone thinks an OEM engineer will come on a forum and say "yep, there's a problem with the design", I've got land to sell you dirt cheap

On the Challenger, there was a software update released for 6 speed cars. This update caused the throttle to lag horribly. I almost sold my car over it as it was so awful to drive. I finally found a way to flash my PCM back to the original program. We asked the Mopar engineers and they literally called it a "buck bobble" table that was added and said it was "by design" to make smoother parking lot driving at light throttle.

I later got to actually see the table with my own eyes compared to the one that drove correctly on my tuners laptop. It was an OBVIOUS mistake. Literally a typo on the program and as the CAL had to be EPA certified, Mopar decided to leave it as is rather than pay to have it corrected and re-certified.

Take anything an OEM rep says on a public forum with a grain of salt.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #44
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Tadge and his team also rated the C7 A8 as track ready. It is not exactly. So take everything everything with a grain of salt. GM is just following in line with all the other OEMs on saying it's not an issue. Because loosing a few MPG or slight loss of engine efficiency is not a concern, especially when it occurs close to the end of the warranty or just beyond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
They rated the auto track ready within a specified time limitation. The manual goes all day. People seem to forget details whether important or not.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #45
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
They rated the auto track ready within a specified time limitation. The manual goes all day. People seem to forget details whether important or not.
There was nothing mentioned about time. Tadge came back and said after people complained that you need to use the paddles to keep from shifting so much. But the cars still overheat the trans. Hence why a redesign in the trans cooling setup is supposed to happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #46
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Well if it matters, my can is collecting TONS of oil, and the guys at mishimoto think it might actually be an issue with the engine now due to how much is being collected..

So the cans do work and they do collect enough oil
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #47
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Well if it matters, my can is collecting TONS of oil, and the guys at mishimoto think it might actually be an issue with the engine now due to how much is being collected..

So the cans do work and they do collect enough oil
Or you drive like you stole it all the time lol. I've heard the amount is higher if the engine is spending more time in the upper RPM ranges. How much are you pulling out at a time?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #48
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I drive like I stole it, notice only a light coating of oil in my intake. heads look clean. IMO, changing engine oil a lot will help the intake, valves and heads to run clean as this is a DI engine with no fuel to wash down the ports. Oil fouled oil is what clings to the valves. I'm on the fence with the catch can.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #49
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminj007 View Post
I just checked my Mishi can and there was at least 2oz in it. So, in my case money well spent. And I do use "top tier" gas as well.
there is a huge discussion on Civic board about "top tier". Basically no definition other than not the mom and pop in the middle of the desert with hand painted signs. Civics are now all DI engines.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #50
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
there is a huge discussion on Civic board about "top tier". Basically no definition other than not the mom and pop in the middle of the desert with hand painted signs. Civics are now all DI engines.
I don't know all the backstory on how they get certified, but this is the list I've always been referred to:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

BP I know has always been one of the best in quality.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #51
Highfivemike

Drives: 2016 1ss
@supersound, I work for an oil refinery that used to be owned by bp, I'm a new guy here( the forums) so i really don't want to come off like a @sshole, but the difference in gasolines besides the small amount of additives put in at the terminal is absolutely immeasurable. i like to tell my family like this...
the techron and shell v power and ampm top tier blah blah is really all advertising.
the gasoline is pumped through the same pipes before it hits the terminals into the same tank lol.. from multiple companies.. but its basically like buying a walmart shirt vs going to an expensive retailer and getting basically the same shirt with a fancy brand name attached. so at the end of the day whatever gas you use is your preference and i choose to use a gasoline that my company refines.. but. we sell gas to usa gasoline, ampm, shell, and multiple others.. so run what you like and feel is best for you and your car but i can promise everyone especially with epa regs nowadays that its all good stuff goin in the tank!
Highfivemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #52
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfivemike View Post
@supersound, I work for an oil refinery that used to be owned by bp, I'm a new guy here( the forums) so i really don't want to come off like a @sshole, but the difference in gasolines besides the small amount of additives put in at the terminal is absolutely immeasurable. i like to tell my family like this...
the techron and shell v power and ampm top tier blah blah is really all advertising.
the gasoline is pumped through the same pipes before it hits the terminals into the same tank lol.. from multiple companies.. but its basically like buying a walmart shirt vs going to an expensive retailer and getting basically the same shirt with a fancy brand name attached. so at the end of the day whatever gas you use is your preference and i choose to use a gasoline that my company refines.. but. we sell gas to usa gasoline, ampm, shell, and multiple others.. so run what you like and feel is best for you and your car but i can promise everyone especially with epa regs nowadays that its all good stuff goin in the tank!
Yep I've heard that before, but it's not the quality of the gas per say, it's the detergents used that make top tier. Again I don't put that much emphasis on the benefits of it. But using a "respectable" gas station is probably a bigger concern. Some of the ones around here leaky tanks and stations diluting gas.

And Walmart has been known to sell cheaper versions of similar products. So sometimes you get what you pay for lol.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #53
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
I don't know all the backstory on how they get certified, but this is the list I've always been referred to:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

BP I know has always been one of the best in quality.
FYI, could have just been the particular station, but I had to completely retune my buddies Challenger off of BP gas due to all the STKR. I told him not to ever use that gas again and stick with Shell. Whatever BP did to the fuel (or whatever happened to it at this particular station) caused his AFR to be whack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfivemike View Post
A good friend of mine works for Conoco Philps and said the same exact thing.

Quote:
Yep I've heard that before, but it's not the quality of the gas per say, it's the detergents used that make top tier. Again I don't put that much emphasis on the benefits of it. But using a "respectable" gas station is probably a bigger concern. Some of the ones around here leaky tanks and stations diluting gas.

And Walmart has been known to sell cheaper versions of similar products. So sometimes you get what you pay for lol.
Top Tier fuels do go through a certification process that they have to maintain, yearly I think. However, I'm more worried about old gas and leaky tanks as you describe.

I personally run only Shell 93 in my Challenger. It's supercharged, built, etc, That's what we tuned it on, it's been VERY consistent, and is priced within pennies of the Wal-Mart fuel locally so no reason to change. It does mean I have to find a Shell station when I need to fuel up though.

In my other cars I just run whatever, but usually Kroger 93 since I almost always have 10 cents a gallon off from grocery shopping. I've rarely seen any discernible difference, but some brands (Kangaroo for example) gave MUCH lower MPG numbers so I avoid those now. I had this same experience from two different Kangaroo stations so I avoid it like the plague.

Last edited by Speedy1975; 07-15-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #54
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Top Tier is pretty much useless for DI engines.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #55
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
FYI, could have just been the particular station, but I had to completely retune my buddies Challenger off of BP gas due to all the STKR. I told him not to ever use that gas again and stick with Shell. Whatever BP did to the fuel (or whatever happened to it at this particular station) caused his AFR to be whack.

Top Tier fuels do go through a certification process that they have to maintain, yearly I think. However, I'm more worried about old gas and leaky tanks as you describe.

Yep. There was a BP station around here that got caught diluting gas some years ago. So the brand definitely doesn't mean it's good.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #56
Highfivemike

Drives: 2016 1ss
atleast you guys get 93 out there :((( theres one place near me to get anything over 91 and its roughly two hours from home and its 110 haha
Highfivemike is offline   Reply With Quote