Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
NinjaBum

Drives: NA
Is it worth doing Axle-back only from NPP?

NPP is an okay sounding exhaust, but I'd like a deeper and louder sound.

Will I be able to get it with just an axle-back or am I going to have to go catback?

My mustangs and GTO I just swapped the mufflers out and got better sound. I am just wondering if swapping NPP out will be appreciably different.

Also can I replace the NPP mufflers with non-NPP axle-back without removing the ability to put the NPP back and have it function properly? Or would the hardware and things for the NPP have to be removed as well?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has already popped up here before.
NinjaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
mjwill25

Drives: 2016 Black 2 SS
I put the Borla ATAK axle-back on and it made a huge difference, I love it and feel it was worth every penny.
2016 2SS Black on Black, NPP, MRC with 6 speed, ARH Catted LT Headers, AWE Touring Exhaust, RotoFab CAI, Soler Performance TB and TC, GPI Ported LT2 IM, Pray Ported Heads, Pray Custom Grind Stage 2 Cam, DSC v2, BMR STB019H, Stance SF10 in Brushed Dual Gunmetal, Black Bowties, Black SEMA Grille, Smoked Tail Lights, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers

mjwill25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBum View Post
NPP is an okay sounding exhaust, but I'd like a deeper and louder sound.

Will I be able to get it with just an axle-back or am I going to have to go catback?

My mustangs and GTO I just swapped the mufflers out and got better sound. I am just wondering if swapping NPP out will be appreciably different.

Also can I replace the NPP mufflers with non-NPP axle-back without removing the ability to put the NPP back and have it function properly? Or would the hardware and things for the NPP have to be removed as well?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has already popped up here before.
There are a few axlebacks that support NPP, but you can go without and save a few bucks. You just plug the vaccum hoses. But since you have NPP I would get an axleback that supports NPP. Then you can have loud and softer controlled by car settings or drive mode. Then if you decide to sell the Camaro you can put the stock NPP muffler back on and sell the aftermarket axleback. A used NPP axleback will be worth more and more in demand than a non NPP axleback.

The Borla as mentioned is a high quality item and you pay for that. Hooker is a little cheaper and has two volume options. The quieter of the two Hookers is my choice so far. And who doesn't want to save money when buying Hookers? I think Stainless is the cheapest. There are a few other choices like Magnaflow?, not sure all support NPP.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-18-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
JustShootMe

Drives: 3015 300s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The Borla as mentioned is a high quality item and you pay for that. Hooker is a little cheaper and has two volume options. The quieter of the two Hookers is my choice so far. And who doesn't want to save money when buying Hookers?
Well done sir ! That made me laugh out loud , wife thinks I'm crazy.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
NinjaBum

Drives: NA
Thanks guys, think that answers my questions!
NinjaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Hi Ninja, we will be releasing our Race and Competition axleback systems shortly. Both Systems will be offered in an NPP-compatible trim, which retains functionality of the stock valves. Please check back with us soon for video clips and more info.
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
OP - it really depends on how much better the aftermarket axleback sound is compared to the NPP in your own opinion. Otherwise, not much horsepower to gain or weight to reduce.

I for one am likely to get one at some point here...suspension is my next phase as I get ready for the 2017 driving season.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
Hi Ninja, we will be releasing our Race and Competition axleback systems shortly. Both Systems will be offered in an NPP-compatible trim, which retains functionality of the stock valves. Please check back with us soon for video clips and more info.
So a NPP compatible axle back solution that removes the huge NPP muffler, but retains the operation of the valves?

Sounds good to me...will it be louder?

Any mock up drawings or something?

What tips?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Listen to the Stainless Works NPP compatible/functioning axle back clips on youtube!

https://youtu.be/_SJJDdPA-9k?t=8m2s

Last edited by SpookShow'84; 08-18-2016 at 03:18 PM.
SpookShow'84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
So a NPP compatible axle back solution that removes the huge NPP muffler, but retains the operation of the valves?

Sounds good to me...will it be louder?

Any mock up drawings or something?

What tips?
Yes it will be louder than stock-how much louder will depend on the series that you choose. We do not have any renders for them yet, but the Competition will essentially be the second half of the V8 catback system (available now) pictured below, and uses the same 4" tips. The Race will be a similar design but with no mufflers. These systems have not officially been released quite yet, so any design is still subject to change.

Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
Yes it will be louder than stock-how much louder will depend on the series that you choose. We do not have any renders for them yet, but the Competition will essentially be the second half of the V8 catback system (available now) pictured below, and uses the same 4" tips. The Race will be a similar design but with no mufflers. These systems have not officially been released quite yet, so any design is still subject to change.

Cool, the race has no mufflers, so how will it quiet things down via the valves just by reducing flow?

Not that I ever plan on not leaving mine open lol...

Only negative about this is the NPP will have to be cut up.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #12
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Cool, the race has no mufflers, so how will it quiet things down via the valves just by reducing flow?
I don't think that would quiet things down and a reduction in flow is not what we are going for going aftermarket. I'm guessing if there are no mufflers, there are no npp valves or just dummy mounts.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote