Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Astatenate

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Will this hurt my car?

I’m a little dramatic. And I just bought the car 2 weeks ago. So I ordered Speed Engineering headers and Corsa cat back. Unfortunately someone got a mix up on my order and didn’t send my off road connecting pipes. I already got a refund for it. And I am installing intake, headers, corsa cat back and catch can tomorrow (Saturday) and tuning the car this Thursday.

I will be driving the car straight home 1.5 miles from my local shop and then 5.5 miles on Monday morning to my local performance exhaust shop to get a 3” pipe from collector to corsa cat back welded up.

Will it hurt my car to run it roughly 7-8 miles from the shop home and then home to exhaust shop Monday morning? It’ll be roughly 42 tomorrow evening when I drive it home and 44-50 on Monday morning to the exhaust shop. I just don’t wanna damage the valves from cooler air creeping up the headers or anything. Idk how much truth there is to that old myth. And I think I’ll be fine. But Just wanna check before I go driving it!
Astatenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I drove open headers from one shop to another because the first place couldn’t connect them correctly. Do t see anything wrong with it and people also do cutouts there and run it.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
Nojjy

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey ZL1 2013 Summit 2SS
You'll be fine. Also, nice to see someone else here from central Arkansas.
Nojjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
When I lived near there they used to say
"Ya' cain't get there from here", that is my response to your question.
If I understand you there will be no cat or cat bypass pipe and you'll try to drive it that way? Can't. At least not without some hillbilly engineering to make the trip.

Or you have the O2 sensors dangling down to break off and need the exhaust tied up in the front somehow.
Headers take a new shaped Cat pipe, so they cant use the old one at all.
Look at some exhaust diagrams and pictures and you'll see what I mean, a header high flow cat or off road pipe being different than OEM manifold to cat back.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #5
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I would just have them send the off road pipes. They have the fittings for the o2 sensors in them.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #6
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You'll be fine. Install the front o2 sensors in the headers, remove the rear o2 sensors, and rig the front of the corsa so it doesn't fall down. That is the most important part here. Or better yet, don't install the corsa yet. It would suck if the unsupported front of your new corsa system dropped down to the ground while you were driving... especially since it is pointing the wrong direction if it dropped.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Driving open headers will be loud as f%^& even at part throttle. I would be worried about getting pulled over. If it would were me I would wait. Or you can go to the local auto parts store and pick up flex tubing and adaptors to fab up a temporary connections to minimize the sound.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
I drove open headers from one shop to another because the first place couldn’t connect them correctly. Do t see anything wrong with it and people also do cutouts there and run it.
That’s kinda what I figured. Just wanted to know! Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nojjy View Post
You'll be fine. Also, nice to see someone else here from central Arkansas.
Right on man! Shoot me a friend request. We can link up sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
I would just have them send the off road pipes. They have the fittings for the o2 sensors in them.
I didn’t see o2 bungs in the off road pipes. On on their HFC cat option (speed engineering) and pic below for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
You'll be fine. Install the front o2 sensors in the headers, remove the rear o2 sensors, and rig the front of the corsa so it doesn't fall down. That is the most important part here. Or better yet, don't install the corsa yet. It would suck if the unsupported front of your new corsa system dropped down to the ground while you were driving... especially since it is pointing the wrong direction if it dropped.
Will removing the rear o2 sensors be permanent and tuned out? I didn’t see a bung pictured on the off road pipe from speed engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Driving open headers will be loud as f%^& even at part throttle. I would be worried about getting pulled over. If it would were me I would wait. Or you can go to the local auto parts store and pick up flex tubing and adaptors to fab up a temporary connections to minimize the sound.
Cops around here don’t care to be honest. As long as it’s not a permanent thing or I’m being douchey about it. Which I won’t. Just trying to get it 7 miles . And 98% of the drive is on interstate. So I assume I’ll be deaf.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
When I lived near there they used to say
"Ya' cain't get there from here", that is my response to your question.
If I understand you there will be no cat or cat bypass pipe and you'll try to drive it that way? Can't. At least not without some hillbilly engineering to make the trip.

Or you have the O2 sensors dangling down to break off and need the exhaust tied up in the front somehow.
Headers take a new shaped Cat pipe, so they cant use the old one at all.
Look at some exhaust diagrams and pictures and you'll see what I mean, a header high flow cat or off road pipe being different than OEM manifold to cat back.

The header has an o2 sensor in the collector. From the pictures. It doesn’t look like the rear o2 sensor is kept. There’s no bung in speed engineering off road pipe from any pic I can see. It only has one on the HFC option. I've uploaded a pic for reference.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
Astatenate

I called speed engineering. The secondary o2 sensors are 100% eliminated. So whether I use their pipes or have some welded up. It won’t have o2 bung. I’m wondering if I’ll need o2 extensions for the front o2 sensors?!
Old 03-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatenate View Post
I called speed engineering. The secondary o2 sensors are 100% eliminated. So whether I use their pipes or have some welded up. It won’t have o2 bung. I’m wondering if I’ll need o2 extensions for the front o2 sensors?!
yes you will need extensions for the o2's
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
yes you will need extensions for the o2's
Well SOB... I specifically asked these questions to the shop I ordered everything from. It was their fault the connection pipes didn’t get sent with the order and I thought “no big deal” I’ll have a local performance exhaust shop weld 3” pipe from collectors to corsa. But now I’m a little irritated b/c I also asked if I needed the o2 extensions as well.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #13
Astatenate

Well I got Corsa, roto fab intake, catch can all installed. I’m putting off headers. Gonna see if speed engineering can expedite ship me the connectors and o2 sensor extensions to get here by Wednesday so we can install and still tune Thursday!
Old 03-15-2020, 10:14 PM   #14
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatenate View Post
Well I got Corsa, roto fab intake, catch can all installed. I’m putting off headers. Gonna see if speed engineering can expedite ship me the connectors and o2 sensor extensions to get here by Wednesday so we can install and still tune Thursday!
Seems like you got a nice little setup going on there man let us know how your car responds to the mods!
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote