Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #155
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Yes all Automatics have NLS.
Actually none of the auto's have NLS, there is no need for NLS on an automatic since it does not have a clutch and the shifting is done by a computer.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #156
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
AL's ANSWER:

First of all,

I’m glad you Camaro owners are using all of the functions of the car, including No-lift Shifting. Our engineering team is always looking for the best ways to combine performance and technology to improve the Camaro driving experience. This new “ask Al” forum seems like the perfect place to go further into detail on some of the features that may not get the proper explanation in the Press Releases or media outlets. I’d like to explain what the feature is, first, then explain how to use it on your Camaro. The Camaro has actually had ‘No-lift Shift’ since the 5th Generation. It is a feature that is intended for our drivers who want the performance feel of quick power shifting in our manual transmissions. The feature keeps the throttle at full open for both our boosted and non-boosted applications when passing through the Engine Over-speed Protection during a shift. In Engineering terms, when triggered, there is an immediate torque control, with fuel and spark, for a given period of time. Then, a predictive control takes over using the throttle to control torque. This allows the driver to take advantage of fast torque control for a short period of time (e.g. during the shift) without heating up or damaging the catalyst over time.

To address the most common question about the feature, you should know that there are both enable RPM’s and target RPM’s for each transmission, which are different for each engine application on the Camaro. We’ve put together a table below to show enable and target RPM by engine. To perform a No-lift Shift, simply put the throttle to the floor (i.e. WOT), and keep it there. Once the tachometer reaches the enable RPM, you can depress the clutch and shift as quickly as you can, and you’ll notice the tach will go to your target RPM during the shift. For example, if you are driving a 2017 SS Manual, with your throttle pedal to the floor, and the tach above 5000 RPM, say 5100 RPM, you can quickly upshift without lifting your throttle foot. The tach will reach the target RPM, in this example 6400 RPM, but not flare to redline. You can quick shift at any time during this RPM range. By the way, in our 2.0T Camaro (RPO LTG), if you are performing a No-lift Shift sequence, you will notice that you don’t lose boost during shifting, as you would with normal shifting. This adds up to an improved lap time or quarter mile. Also, you need to have a minimum speed of 15 kph (9.3 mph).

Name: NLS Targets.png
Views: 751
Size: 57.7 KB

I would like to address a few of the specific comments with regard to No-lift Shifting. As I mentioned, the feature is on all 6th Generation Camaro Manual Transmissions, with the exception of the 2016 2.0T and V6. Those were added in Model Year 2017 and beyond. With regard to the effect of Mode selection on No-lift Shift, there is no difference between Tour/Sport/Track/Snow-Ice mode or PTM mode on the ability to perform the quick shifts. Most people either don’t keep the throttle to the floor, or don’t wait until they reach their Enable RPM before performing their shift. Both are required criteria to execute the No-lift shift feature. Lastly, the Enable and Target RPM is different for each engine application, and even within an application (as in the SS and SS 1LE).

If you are having problems using the feature, give it a try as I’ve described in this response. It may seem counterintuitive to keep your throttle to the floor while shifting, and the V6 and SS target RPM’s seem close to redline, but trust that it works. It may just take some practice.

Good luck with our No-lift shifting! I hope this response is helpful, and the type of information you were looking to see from the Camaro team.

Until next time,
Al O.

Thanks Al! So the 1LE rpm being lower is probably why the NLS has acted differently and has been more obvious on those cars compared to the SS. I also learned something in that this works in every selected mode. My tuner told me track mode only and when I tried to use it in the past in sport mode I could not get it to work. After my tuner told me track I used that mode from there on out. Good to know it's available in all modes!
SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #157
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
I asked this in his thread but I'll toss it in here too... anyone with knowledge of how the engine reacts while boosted and meth fed to whatever happens during NLS?

I imagine its not a good idea, but im just using deduction to come to that conclusion.

WOT + meth spraying based on boost pressure + high RPM hold = KABOOM (or at least detonation due to too rich of a mix?)

I may be way off here.
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #158
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
I asked this in his thread but I'll toss it in here too... anyone with knowledge of how the engine reacts while boosted and meth fed to whatever happens during NLS?

I imagine its not a good idea, but im just using deduction to come to that conclusion.

WOT + meth spraying based on boost pressure + high RPM hold = KABOOM (or at least detonation due to too rich of a mix?)

I may be way off here.
I think you're missing it just a little. The idea is to keep the boost up and stay in your power range. The turbo 4 banger has NLS as well. I have not seen in my car on data logs that NLS is making me run any richer at all. It stays about even.
SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #159
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Hard to believe how much great information can be found here.

I don’t understand why they’d set the target rpm for the SS considerably higher than the 1le. If it’s holding near redline, no wonder it’s hard to know if the car has NLS or not. I’d think it’s far better for them all to be at a 5000 target rpm than 6400.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #160
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post

I don’t understand why they’d set the target rpm for the SS considerably higher than the 1le. If it’s holding near redline, no wonder it’s hard to know if the car has NLS or not. I’d think it’s far better for them all to be at a 5000 target rpm than 6400.
weird because its all the same power train.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #161
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post

would imagine the lower rpm works better for the LE at the road track for cornering. The SS higher target more for drag racing
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #162
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
would imagine the lower rpm works better for the LE at the road track for cornering. The SS higher target more for drag racing
Exactly. Optimized for flat out acceleration on the SS, where the 1LE is optimized for smoother upshifts.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #163
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
I just got my 1500 miles in on my new SS 1LE. So I’ve only tried the no lift shift twice now. The 1st time seemed to work ok. When I tried it yesterday on my 2nd to 3rd shift at wot it seemed to shift really hard and there was a loud thunk
In the back. It felt like I was abusing the car. I guess I’ll have to practice it some more.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #164
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
I just got my 1500 miles in on my new SS 1LE. So I’ve only tried the no lift shift twice now. The 1st time seemed to work ok. When I tried it yesterday on my 2nd to 3rd shift at wot it seemed to shift really hard and there was a loud thunk
In the back. It felt like I was abusing the car. I guess I’ll have to practice it some more.
Sometimes a small reflex lift can mess it up. Keep it on the floor and it works great.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #165
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Sometimes a small reflex lift can mess it up. Keep it on the floor and it works great.

I tried a 3rd to 4th tonight and made sure to hold the pedal
all the way down. It did work the way it should. I wasn’t really starring at the tach to see exactly where the rpm stayed while shifting. But I’m still learning about the car and really loving it.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #166
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
I tried a 3rd to 4th tonight and made sure to hold the pedal
all the way down. It did work the way it should. I wasn’t really starring at the tach to see exactly where the rpm stayed while shifting. But I’m still learning about the car and really loving it.
You'll get used to it pretty fast and everytime you to WOT you will just automatically use it.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #167
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I just made a new NLS demo if that helps. 2018 SS 1LE

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #168
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I actually looked into this a year ago, to the point where I data logged in HPT my best full manual shifts vs using the NLS

That being said, I logged engine RPM, ThrottleInput, ThrottleOutput, Torque and ClutchPosition along with TransOutputRPM to see when power was being dropped and picked back up.

Averaging out multiple runs thru the gears in both modes, it was pretty consistent that the power was applied quicker by .11S per shift (387ms vs 280ms averages).

Top picture is full manual, bottom is NLS
Attached Images