Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
d729596

Drives: 2016 SS Hyper Blue
Reading Boost

I recently installed my supercharger that included a 3 bar map sensor. I am trying to figure out if a gauge will be able to read boost through the obd 2 connection. Supercharger company said through obd 2 connection it will come through in kpa and needs to be converted to psi. Gauge company says it should come through as bar and they convert it to psi. Any idea on what the answer is? Can I read boost or not?
d729596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Omega

Drives: G8
kPa and psi are just units of boost. Manifold pressure can be read off the com bus and most gauges are able to display your boost pressure in kPa or psi.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I can read boost through SCT or live but I subtract 6.8 I think so If it read 18.5 boost I'm really just under 12 psi

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
You can read the boost through software, mine logs it on hptuners. But my gauge I use, I actually have it T’ed into the vacuum port coming off of the intake. It’s really accurate it seems, but I would recommend using an analog gauge. My digital one from AEM seems a little slow.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
On my car, i have a breakout harness so the pcm can see the outside baro pressure and the intake manifold pressure.

I simply use this formula:
intake pressure-baro pressure=boost pressure @ manifold.

see the photo below for my datalog representing both values.

hope this helps in some sorta way.

hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Since I added the D1SC to my car I have been going down this route as well, I finally pulled the plug and just ordered a manual Autometer boost gauge for mine. I wish there was a electronic version that worked better.

The shop that did my install said the standard 1 bar MAP is more than able to read boost, the 3 bar isnt needed unless you are going over 30psi.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
Omega

Drives: G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Since I added the D1SC to my car I have been going down this route as well, I finally pulled the plug and just ordered a manual Autometer boost gauge for mine. I wish there was a electronic version that worked better.

The shop that did my install said the standard 1 bar MAP is more than able to read boost, the 3 bar isnt needed unless you are going over 30psi.
1 bar = 14.5ish psi. Most people are up near the top end of the 1 bar maps' table so they change to the 3 bar during the upgrade just to avoid future problems. If you're at 12psi and it spikes a bit, you're SOL with the ECU being able to compensate.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote