Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
JoshuaHyperblue2ss

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Fork in the Road what would you do to your FI

Well, the local tuner said I am Max fuel 555whp 480wtq STD correction as it was 5th gear pull in a 8spd at 3600DA and about the 12th pull with no cool downs.

93 octane was used.

I am complete bone stock accept the PSC-1 Stage 2 Cooler Pro Charger. I have 315 drag radials on fresh set of light weight 19x10.5s.

I usually get 1 big upgrade a winter work extra job in the summer save around 3-4k

Tuner said adding MSD atomic head unit with kooks longtube headers would add more and cost me about that after install and re tune but to me that doesn't make sense if fuel is maxed.

He also said he could do a Fuel cam and build the top a little with pistons seals and springs for that price range with tune and get more as well..

I was thinking fuel system and up the boost with a new pulley.

Someone else told me a new torque converter and take it to a more renowned shop that primary works on LT1's down south to have it tuned with the new converter. I know though sea level air is much better then South Dakota air so think prolly a waste??

My best time was 11.9 117mph I seen a huge improvement over stock 12.8 105mph same track lower DA

I just want to get down to the low 11's i see other pro charger guys at. i know alot deals with DA/Track. However, my buddy gen5 zl1 on slicks putting me to shame. LOL I want to give him little run for his money next summer.

If you were on a 3-4k budget and really want to shave a good half second more off current time without improving the driver mod.. lol As yes we all can improve in that category.
Aesthetics:
15% 3m Tint all around/phastek full blackout kit
Debaged sides, Tinted inner tail lights, Black Bow Ties, 20 Black 5 spoke rims
JoshuaHyperblue2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
I think most would agree that the fuel upgrades will be the most cost effective way to get to where you want to be. I have the same setup as you pretty much, and my goal is 10.9x. I have not run my new A8 car yet but will be next week. Mine is:

P1SC1 w race IC
93 octane
305 MT et street R radials with 17x4.5 fronts
Fuel pump voltage booster

In the final stages of tuning with Ted now, and I have no numbers yet because we are remote tuning, but I will say that his car already feels like it would blow the doors off of my M6 car that ran a best of 11.6. That car I did launch soft on purpose because I was dead hooking on bias ply slicks and didn’t want to break anything, and I was short shifting. I think this car the way it sits MAY get me into the 10’s but not sure yet. Otherwise it’s fuel upgrades for me.

As you mentioned, if you’re running out of fuel then to me it wouldn’t make much sense doing those other mods... and not doing anything to your fuel system. I am not sure who your tuner is but maybe get a second opinion. Not sure if any of that helps you, but that’s my .02
Old 06-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaHyperblue2ss View Post
Well, the local tuner said I am Max fuel 555whp 480wtq STD correction as it was 5th gear pull in a 8spd at 3600DA and about the 12th pull with no cool downs.

93 octane was used.

I am complete bone stock accept the PSC-1 Stage 2 Cooler Pro Charger. I have 315 drag radials on fresh set of light weight 19x10.5s.

I usually get 1 big upgrade a winter work extra job in the summer save around 3-4k

Tuner said adding MSD atomic head unit with kooks longtube headers would add more and cost me about that after install and re tune but to me that doesn't make sense if fuel is maxed.

He also said he could do a Fuel cam and build the top a little with pistons seals and springs for that price range with tune and get more as well..

I was thinking fuel system and up the boost with a new pulley.

Someone else told me a new torque converter and take it to a more renowned shop that primary works on LT1's down south to have it tuned with the new converter. I know though sea level air is much better then South Dakota air so think prolly a waste??

My best time was 11.9 117mph I seen a huge improvement over stock 12.8 105mph same track lower DA

I just want to get down to the low 11's i see other pro charger guys at. i know alot deals with DA/Track. However, my buddy gen5 zl1 on slicks putting me to shame. LOL I want to give him little run for his money next summer.

If you were on a 3-4k budget and really want to shave a good half second more off current time without improving the driver mod.. lol As yes we all can improve in that category.
I would definitely recommend our Fuel system upgrade pacakge along with Kooks or ARH LT headers.

The MSD intake is pretty but won't get you any power with forced induction.

Money better spent on fuel upgrades.

A camshaft package upgrade will net you another 50 RWHP and extend the range of your current or future fuel system.

Combine the fuel system camshaft headers, smaller pulley another 100-150 RWHP is achievable depending on Octane.

117 MPH is good for 11.20s so you have some work to do in the launch department, Drag racing is all about the 60 ft times.

I can help you take your project to the next level feel free to give me a call. 203-753-7223

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaHyperblue2ss View Post
Hmm with what your actual hp might be in that atmospheric, that does seem a little early to be maxed out on fuel supply. Did your dyno sheet show what air/fuel ratio he is running your car at by any chance?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
It doesn’t make sense to me that a gen 5zl1 would be handling you at the track. You should be generating the same or more power as a gen 6 zl1. Was he trapping around the same speed as you?

I would guess if you want to play at the track, you would get the best results from a drag pack and a converter (since you are currently tuned safely). To increase performance, you will need to up the power which will require improvements in your fuel system.

Here’s my recommendation and of course take it for what it’s worth, but to me this is just math:

1. Wheels and tire setup with torque converter ($4k). Allows you to smoke your buddy and still run safe.
2. Fuel system upgrade + smaller pulley to up boost ($3-4K parts)
3. Cam, headers, pistons ($3-4K parts)
4. Upgrade to D1 blower so you can take advantage of new stuff.

At the end you will be able to run 700-800whp...having even the new zl1 looking like it’s in reverse.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 06-30-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I don’t think there’s any scenario where I’d be looking at anything other than fuel upgrades if I were in this position. Please don’t skimp on fuel or make it anything other than a priority.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:09 AM   #7
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
My Journey was very similar. I started off bone stock making about the same power as you and then decided just for peace of mind and safety to run Ted's fuel package which consists of the LT4 Injectors, ZL1 intank and a fuel pump voltage booster. I also went with a little smaller pulley. 3.7. Now that the fuel was sufficient and running higher boost we quickly found that the stock exhaust (primarily the restrictive cats) were the next bottle neck. So LT headers and an off-road midpipe. Some more tuning magic by Ted and everything is dialed in perfect now. Car feels and sounds amazing. NO new numbers yet but don't put a lot into that. Every dyno is different as well as the DA conditions you make your pull on.

All that to say, I would start with the fuel as well.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Fuel system is a must...more LT1's blow up from inadequate fuel delivery opposed to a power number.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
My Journey was very similar. I started off bone stock making about the same power as you and then decided just for peace of mind and safety to run Ted's fuel package which consists of the LT4 Injectors, ZL1 intank and a fuel pump voltage booster. I also went with a little smaller pulley. 3.7. Now that the fuel was sufficient and running higher boost we quickly found that the stock exhaust (primarily the restrictive cats) were the next bottle neck. So LT headers and an off-road midpipe. Some more tuning magic by Ted and everything is dialed in perfect now. Car feels and sounds amazing. NO new numbers yet but don't put a lot into that. Every dyno is different as well as the DA conditions you make your pull on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Fuel system is a must...more LT1's blow up from inadequate fuel delivery opposed to a power number.
So True!
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

Did you also upgrade the the LT4 HPFP as part of Ted’s package?
Jfmoore79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Really the 550-650whp range is the "go big or go home" time... Because you can do fuel, but then you're immediately up against the wall where pistons fail... $4k probably won't be enough... BUT... if you HAVE to spend money...

If you're budget is $3-4k... You can do LT4 HPFP, injectors, and low side pump for about $1300 in parts or less, and then a cam kit is $1250 or so. Call it $2500

Rest on labor (and maybe a pulley swap) . You'll probably see about a 50-100whp gain. Next round I'd do the headers and catless x-pipe and a retune. If you can extend your budget and find a good deal on used headers, maybe you can do those at the same time.

After that, you'll be around 650whp and be worrying about your pistons more than fuel.

I'd do pistons long before I'd ever do an MSD. Drop-ins from Vengeance are gonna run about $12xx shipped.

Thing is... to do the cam kit, you're gonna pull the heads, at which point you might as well do the pistons then, add a few hours of labor and not need to pull the motor twice. However, if you spend the money on fueling, cam, and pistons... You're out of budget for labor and tuning...

Have you driven the car at 550whp for a while? Does it feel slow or anything?

Honestly if you haven't I'd just enjoy the car a while - No need to do a huge build for a number if you haven't even enjoyed the car.
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #12
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmoore79 View Post
Did you also upgrade the the LT4 HPFP as part of Ted’s package?

Yes I did. I forgot to mention that was included in the fuel package.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote