Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
Junkman...SHR?

I am expecting my detail kit in a few days with my PC. I am excited to get started, but just wanted to ask how do you know if you need to use the Swirl and Haze remover or not. I have minor swirl marks and maybe a few light scratch marks I have noticed, but not as bad as some of the paint issues on here I've seen. I'm sure it won't hurt if I use it anyway right. Also how do you know what speed to run the PC at. Thanks Junk.........

Last edited by Chad's ZL1; 05-22-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Guy,USA

Drives: 2010 black rs, 1965vw convertible
I'm finishing my black RS with the same Adams pc kit today. I have 2 days into the project. With a very bright halgon light I check the paint...it shows every thing that needs correction. You must first wash the car withe dawn soap to remove wax etc. Then an absolote must, clay the whole car this really removes contaminates. My paint, I have to do orange pad 3 times with shr going reight on top of shr with fp then I finish with fp by its self in order to make the paint perfect. I check my work every time with the light, Its alot of work but my paint has no scratches on any panel I done so far! I hope to finish today with the machine wax....hoping it really makes the paint pop. Good Luck and watch Junks videos....but really its a technique you will develop as you work...
Guy,USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Chad - follow Junkman's videos.

Start low and move up. I always start a test area (most heavily damaged), with a white pad and FMP. If I don't get the results I'm looking for, I move up to a SHR and a orange pad. It is a lot of work finding the proper combo of products / pads, every car has different clear coat, so its always a learning process. These camaro's have a medium/hard clear coat you would be pretty safe starting with a orange pad and SHR.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
Good info guyUSA, and cudos for taking the process "perfect". Black looks amazing when it's given the care it requires.

My first trip with FMP & SHR was just getting used to the process and the PC more than being focused on removing every last imperfection. I removed most, and still have a few if I really look for them. But, I don't show my car, and they aren't visible in the sun or shade (plus I have CGM which is a little more forgiving ) I'll remove more when I switch to the BeaterMobile for the winter. Until then, my paint looks great for as close as I'll be looking at it, and I'm fine with that.

Guess what I'm trying to say, is take the process to where YOU are satisfied. That may be "perfect" the first time out... or not. BTW... you're going to LOVE the detail spray, that stuff is awesome!
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Chad - follow Junkman's videos.
What he said Chad.

The process that I demonstrate in my videos does not change if you're driving a Camaro or a Bentley. Paint damage is paint damage and my videos show exactly how to get rid of it. Watch this series again, if you haven't already. The answer is right there, in all my Junkness.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote