Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
Oak78

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
How good is the new LT1/LT4

Coyote or new LT1? Which engine do you all feel as the most potential for power. I am torn between the two and am looking for more information. There’s tons of info about the coyote but a lot less about the LT1 since it’s newer. I am interested in a Camaro SS 1le and like everything about it better. Just concerned that the coyote is a better engine. I intend on adding a supercharger to whichever I go with. Please help me decide and I know I’m inviting a lot of flaming but I can accept that if I get some information.
Oak78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Welcome to the forum.

The Coyote is a few years older than the LT1. (3 years) If you poke around enough on here, there’s a lot of information on power and what mods others have done.

Regardless of your future purchase, both platforms will need stronger internals when supercharged.

Do you want to add supercharger and also run E85?

What’s a better engine? Both are good. The one that lasts longer will be totally dependent on who does the upgrades, tuning, maintenance and it’s intended use.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
DaveD81

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
I’m not a fan of chain/belt O.H. driven camshafts.

Last edited by DaveD81; 07-05-2019 at 12:24 AM.
DaveD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 PM   #4
Oak78

I would like to run E85 since I live in California and our gas is garbage. I am aware that due to the direct injection system fuel will be a limiting factor until more aftermarket alternatives come around. I figure I could get the LT4 fuel system upgrade when I add boost. Adding the zl1 supercharger seems like a reasonably priced upgrade. I know both blocks would need forged internals and a resleeve for anything approaching 800 or up. If I were to go through all that I want the best motor for producing power. I suppose an lsx is always an option but it’s heavy and would screw up the balance of the car.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Oak78

But you have a timing chain
Old 07-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #6
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
I had a 5.0 Coyote and I like the LT1 better. The 6.2 has more useable torque and hp. I got the exact same mpg average with the 5.0 that I’m getting with the 6.2. With the Coyote I had to maintain higher rpms to feel like I was doing something. As far as longevity I think they are both good motors but if u plan on doing a blower I’d recommend the ZL1.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:33 AM   #7
Oak78

Sorry Dave just read the entirety of your post. Didn’t see the OH cam part. My bad
Old 07-05-2019, 01:52 AM   #8
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I had the Coyote in my 15 Mustang GT. Hands down, the LT1 is the way better engine. It got way more torque (remember it's torque that pushes you in the seat) but more importantly it has way more low-rpm punch. The Coyote really needs to be above 4k RPM to make you feel like you are having 400+ hp under the hood. The LT1 reminds of you that from the get go.

Ford updated the coyote for the 18 refresh, according to Ford they increased low rpm power, but I haven't driven one yet.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you are looking to upgrade the LT1with a supercharger then I would buy a ZL1. If you don’t want to buy new do what I did and buy used! I couldn’t afford new so I found a 2017 with less than 500 miles at a good price and to me it’s so much better than my 2016 2SS that I traded in for the Z.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #10
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Welcome to the forum.

The Coyote is a few years older than the LT1. (3 years) If you poke around enough on here, there’s a lot of information on power and what mods others have done.

Regardless of your future purchase, both platforms will need stronger internals when supercharged.

What’s a better engine? Both are good. The one that lasts longer will be totally dependent on who does the upgrades, tuning, maintenance and it’s intended use.

This isn't true at all, Coyotes have super strong internals and can handle boost way better. Also they come with DI and PI standard so they are much easier and cheaper to boost.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I dont know where you got this info from. The new 5.0 coyote engine easily handles 800rwhp with zero issues on stock internals.

The LT1 can handle 700rwhp as long as the tune is spot on and the fueling is upgraded on the stock cam, Ted @ Jannetty sells a smooth idle cam that will put you at 750rwhp on stock internals on the LT1.

That is more than enough for about 60% of the own out there.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
coyotes are good to 800 hp without forging bc they are already mostly forged. I'm non biased and work at a performance shop in Houston. I personally drive a 750 rwhp c7z and a new Zl1 so not biased toward GM. if you wanna add boost to the lt1 run E85 and toss a lt4 blower with a good tune along with an lt4 hpfp and lpfp and you will be fine without forging. if you go north of 600 ish hp YES you will need to forge your internals. the lt1 has weak points (pistols and conn rods) if you exceed 630. Coyotes have the ticking issue on some but they love boost without touching the motor and can take abuse. imho you can't go wrong either way. dollar for dollar I'd say a base A10 5.0 as base as possible with 315 gears for 29k plus ttl brand new and add a Roush blower, E85, and a lund tune will set you under 42k finished and would eat about any and everything. Hope this helps and yes I know I will catch flack from some but again it's my opinion and I work at a shop and do this on a daily basis.
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #13
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
My $.02 - I will admit I have been a life long Chevy guy, but I haven't had a performance car in years.

I had been wanting to do something for awhile, and I knew what I was doing I would be modifying (and most likely supercharge), so I will give my perspective on why I did what I did.

On the Coyote - you are a little limited on how to make a good decision. Gen1 Coyotes are OK, Gen2 are actually pretty good, Gen3 (current version) has a lot of issues. Ford cheapened up the internals and they are now suffering some oiling issues. If you want an automatic car, a Gen2 engine only had the 6 speed auto. And don't buy any version with a manual (unless its a GT350).

Mustang Pros - 10,000 vendors that make every imaginable bolt on goody you can think of. All sorts of really good aftermarket performance support and knowledge base. An engine that revs to the moon and is smooth as glass. Easy to manipulate fuel system. You can get Grabber Blue for a color.

Cons - oiling issues, must upgrade oil pump / chain gears, IRS that isn't very refined (mustang is VERY twitchy), very boring interior, looks like a 2 door fusion

Camaro Pros - Handling is great stock (1LE is superb), Solid manual trans & clutch, interior is nice in all trim levels, holds its money a little better as far as resale goes, engine is pretty solid in stock trim up to 600hp. Good manifolds / headers from the factory.

Camaro Cons - Direct Injection makes aftermarket support considerably harder and more spendy. Engine is solid, but if you want to change anything like cams it is much more of an undertaking. Auto trans has shudder issues. Valve carbon build up issues (easily solved with a catch can). Camaro parts are expensive (for things like exhaust, etc....)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak78 View Post
I know both blocks would need forged internals and a resleeve for anything approaching 800 or up.
Maybe I missed it, but outside of big time drag racing I've never heard of anyone doing a resleeve on a LT1 or LT4 at any power level. That must be a Ford only thing (due to the coating?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Ted @ Jannetty sells a smooth idle cam that will put you at 750rwhp on stock internals on the LT1.
Ted's 725whp upgrade takes more than just a cam. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481614

If you do 750whp on a LT1 with 91 Cali fuel without upgrading the internals, you'll likely blow it up. The LT1 maxes out safely at about 600-650whp without doing the rings, at which point you're better off going with forged internals as well.

If you want to go 750+whp on a LT1 you're going to throw so much $$$ at the car you might as well just buy a used ZL1 and throw on one of those shiny new 2650 Maggies (with H/C, headers and fuel).

Bottom line: big torque down low is gonna cost ya, but it's ooooh sooo worth it!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote