Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #29
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I sold a car a few months back with a manual… thought I wouldn’t miss it much, I was wrong. When the crazy prices come down, I’m buying another manual (even if it’s a beater Miata).
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #30
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I say bring back the 3 on a tree!
I'd buy one...

Another M6 vote. Simply cannot match the driving experience without a 3rd pedal as stated numerous times.

Don't get me wrong, the new autos are great, but even the new DCT transmissions don't excite me after 10 mins of driving (PDK, BMW M DCT, AMG DCT, C8 - yes I have driven all of these).

So my truck and the wife's SUV are autos, and I would own a dedicated single digit 1/4 mile car with an auto, but for any road course, or pleasure driving car, manual no question...that's why both of mine have 3 pedals
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #31
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
#SaveTheManuals

How god intended
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #32
tommcd24

Drives: 2SS M6 NPP Convertible
M6 for me. I haven't owned a manual in nearly 20 years, but I never really even considered an AT in my Camaro. I learned to drive with a manual Subaru way back when and have had other manuals in between and overall I like being more engaged, being able to downshift to pass quickly, scrub speed when coming into a slower speed zone, etc. I also ride a CVO Harley, which honestly I ride probably pretty similar to how I'll drive my Camaro - quick acceleration, faster through the corners, etc. - just with a little less lean through the corners lol.

I live outstate, so the traffic congestion concerns are an infrequent issue for me. If I had to deal with traffic daily, I might reconsider as others have mentioned.

Dec. 18: took her home
Dec. 9: arrival at dealer
Nov. 16-29: Toledo, OH (railyard)
Nov. 9: 3800 -> 4300 (for stripes)
Oct. 8: 3400 status TPW 10/25
Oct. 6: 3100 status TPW 10/25
Sept. 9: 3000 status TPW 10/4/2021
Sept. 3: 2000 status (after 5 1/2 months)
Sept. 2: Change Order: 2SS (V6 constraint)
April 12: Reordered as ‘22 3LT RS V6 (March 16:Initial Order ‘21 3LT RS V6)
tommcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #33
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Mine is a stick, and I just like driving one, as others do here with an M6.

Yeah, driving in traffic could blow, but that's a small price I am willing to pay as long as I get to stretch the leg of the car somewhere.

And most people I talk to definitely respect the car more with it being a manual. Just a thing most car people do.

That said, I am aware of the objective advantages automatic transmissions hold. The personal enjoyment aspect of the manual overrules them all, however. Paddle shifters are NOT a sufficient replacement IMO; tapping a button isn't nearly the same as moving a mechanical shifter, and there is an inherent satisfaction you get for doing a downshift rev match well that simply can't be replicated with the paddle shifters. If precision is needed, like on a track, there is ARM that guarantees the downshift rev matches are perfect.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #34
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
For this car, stick is the only choice for me! Yes, traffic can suck, but I don't really DD it (work sometimes?) but hit traffic on road trips, especially getting off Long Island, geez! It has been on the road many a time in the last 1 1/2 years.

Manual is more engaging, more fun, more pleasure. This is a pleasure car. I will be tracking next year also, auto might be easier there, but not as exciting! To me....
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #35
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
I prefer manual. I feel like I am driving the car and it is a joy to drive.

I can see if you live in a busy traffic congested area with traffic jams all the time, stick would suck. If you are driving in the winter through snow I think a stick would suck (I haven't had mine out in the snow so I do not know for certain but imagine an automatic would be easier... winter truck makes it way easier).
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #36
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
To me, there is no choice, M6 only. I found my A10 ZL1 a little boring, because you are not as much involved in driving. BUT I understand my opinion is not everyones. Most people today did not grow up on manuals so automatics are a natural choice. And driving an auto Gen 6 Camaro is still a ton of fun.

I will say also after owning an A10 ZL1 paddle shifting to me is not much fun on a 10 speed auto.

And as to autos they are a bit faster, if you put DRs on an A10 and the M6 with practice the A10 is about 1-2 tenths faster. At Atco My LT1 was dead even with a friends A10 2020 Mustang GT. We both had tires and a CAI. The secret is 100s of trips down the quarter in manuals. Just a shift light helps a lot.

And if you want a manual, the V8 Camaros have one of the best manuals in the car business.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #37
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
just look at the worlds best cars made today.
all automatic.
you rekon they would sell many manual bugatti chirons?
*Laughs in electric* What's a transmission?

(Okay, Porsche Taycan has a 2-speed auto unit, but most EVs do without transmissions OK)

And that's the thing, if I just want to accelerate the fastest(especially in speeds usually encountered in daily driving), I would just get an electric car. Yeah it lacks the sensation of an ICE, but eh, if I am not shifting then it's po-teh-to po-tah-to. Bonus that you are quiet while going fast and therefore, cops are less likely to harass you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
I prefer manual. I feel like I am driving the car and it is a joy to drive.

I can see if you live in a busy traffic congested area with traffic jams all the time, stick would suck. If you are driving in the winter through snow I think a stick would suck (I haven't had mine out in the snow so I do not know for certain but imagine an automatic would be easier... winter truck makes it way easier).
Drove a manual Honda Accord in Alberta winter. With winter tires, I had no issues.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #38
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
I've had my A10 for a month now.
I like it but don't love it.
Next time it will be the M6.
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #39
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I agree, for a "toy car" it is hard to beat the M6... I "think" mine will eventually be a Daily Driver and the thought of an M6 in San Diego or LA traffic with an M6 was incomprehensible... Now my car is 20 months old, has 4,700 miles on it, has never seen rain and isn't my DD, but I still LOVE my A10, the thing is amazing!
I loved my 2017 1SS with the A8, and I hear great things about the A10. If I bought a ZL1 it would definitely be an A10. I’m not trying to keep up with shifting that beast! lol…but for my current, weekend toy, the Hot Wheels 2SS, an M6 suits it.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #40
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Im just old school and simply must have a manual transmission in my sports/toy cars. Yes, I know, the "computer' shifts faster than I can. But thats not the point at all. Its the involvement and feel of shifting. There is a reason why for so many years real sports cars either mostly were sold with manual trannies or didnt even offer automatics. I get the reasons some choose the Auto. Daily driving in traffic, stuff like that comes into play. So be it.

I gotta have a stick though. Not optional.
Yes, the reason is because manuals were always faster than automatics up until about 10 years ago. Now autos are faster so autos are now prevalent in sports cars.

I had 6 speed manuals for 17+ years straight, but I have an A10 ZL1 because it's unquestionably quicker than the M6 ZL1.

Sure M6s are fun, I guess, but a lot of people act like shifting gears is the only thing they are doing that is fun in a car. Using the paddles is an OK substitute.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #41
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I first contacted my dealer about ordering a stick. He said he would to that, but I wouldn't be able to resell it. No demand. But I do prefer sticks.
Your dealer is an idiot. Most manual trans car go for a premium because they are becoming more rare.

As for the OP’s question, I have both a 6-speed manual car (C6 Corvette) and my Camaro is an auto.

There is nothing like a manual transmission car to make you feel completely connected to the car.

Autos are great because they shift fast and do the work for you. Much easier in traffic.

If it’s your only car, I would go with a manual.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #42
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
For me, for Pure Performance it's an auto. Heck, my drag cars have essentially been Autos or clutchless since the 80s. And pretty much been the standard in Drag Racing ever since.:-) It's easy to understand the resistance though. Manuals are easy and don't require much thought. Modern cars and electronic controls require old dogs to learn new tricks. Simply put it's a performance advancement like any other. I don't see too many people crying to go back to double clutching, Carburetors and manual timing, fixed-function rear ends. In my opinion, Modern Autos allow you to be more engaged in the Driving Experience. You have more control over the car if you understand it and choose to take full advantage of it. People don't like change, and people don't like to have to work and learn new things. That's understandable.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote