Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-03-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
bignaz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
V6 Front Brembo swap bleed question

So it's almost time to change the front pads. Long overdue. So I decided to just swap it all out after I got a deal on some brembos.

So I gotta get my bolts. Cut the dust sheilds but I'm cutting them when I install. I'll be getting a new torx bolt for the rotors and all that. Before I start I'm going to look at some guides and make sure I got everything ready to go.

Never bleed breaks before. I know not to let the res get low so I'll make sure that's filled. I'm doing this solo so I'll be using a vacuum pump bleeder. Do I need to bleed the rears if I just swap the front? Or just skip the rears and fallow the procedure for bleeding the front?

Quick rundown. Going to to see if I can get the parts local of not I'll just get them online.

When switching the pads to some new pads do I need a new hardware kit? Spring and pins. These look pretty good. Was told they got 15k on them. Spring looks like it's pretty much new.

4x mounting bolts

2x torx bolts "can't reuse the ones on the v6 for the Brembo rotors right?"

New pads. Pads look good but why I'm at it I'll put new ones on.

Paint to paint the cut surface of the dust sheilds.

Torq wrench

Also if anyone is in S.E. Michigan and wants to help. I'll be more then happy to pay you. The whole job doesn't look too hard. Remove line replace with SS line, remove break, cut dust shields and paint. Replace breaks and bleed. Bleed until no bubbles.

Last edited by bignaz; 02-03-2018 at 04:31 AM.
bignaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Brembo conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignaz View Post
So it's almost time to change the front pads. Long overdue. So I decided to just swap it all out after I got a deal on some brembos.

So I gotta get my bolts. Cut the dust sheilds but I'm cutting them when I install. I'll be getting a new torx bolt for the rotors and all that. Before I start I'm going to look at some guides and make sure I got everything ready to go.

Never bleed breaks before. I know not to let the res get low so I'll make sure that's filled. I'm doing this solo so I'll be using a vacuum pump bleeder. Do I need to bleed the rears if I just swap the front? Or just skip the rears and fallow the procedure for bleeding the front?

Quick rundown. Going to to see if I can get the parts local of not I'll just get them online.

When switching the pads to some new pads do I need a new hardware kit? Spring and pins. These look pretty good. Was told they got 15k on them. Spring looks like it's pretty much new.

4x mounting bolts

2x torx bolts "can't reuse the ones on the v6 for the Brembo rotors right?"

New pads. Pads look good but why I'm at it I'll put new ones on.

Paint to paint the cut surface of the dust sheilds.

Torq wrench

Also if anyone is in S.E. Michigan and wants to help. I'll be more then happy to pay you. The whole job doesn't look too hard. Remove line replace with SS line, remove break, cut dust shields and paint. Replace breaks and bleed. Bleed until no bubbles.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...7&d=1471976866

I was able to copy the GM explicit directions for the upgrade conversion to Brembo bakes. I would highly recommend that you print these direction of as you will want to read them several times and you will no doubt refer to them during the process!

Not long ago I did the complete conversion, front and back. I didn't half, I also changed the rear dust shields out instead of cutting them, cuts down on the brake dust, and I also changed out the master cylinder so to get the full benefit of the Brembo brakes.

The Torx screws holding the rotors in place are the same, you don't need new ones.

MAKE SURE... you ONLY USE the SS brake line bolts holding the lines to the calipers. If you screw up and try to use one of the bolts from you V6 setup you are going to strip out the hole in your Brembo caliper.

Print of the explicit GM directions and read them over several times, making sure you have all the new parts that are needed. Crush washer, caliper bolts and so on.

Before I started I had all the torque values highlighted. Doing the job all alone other than when it came to bleeding, the entire process took me about 6 hours (front, rear, dust shields, SS master cylinder and bleeding out system)

Because of changing out the master cylinder I was afraid I might have a little air in the ABS system so once finished I drove to Chevrolet and had them do a complete brake fluid flush. I have this done once every 18-24 months regardless of mileage. Takes them less than 30 minutes with a machine, complete system is bled out with new GM fluid.

Changing out the rear dust shields is NOT difficult at all. If ever deciding to do this then I would recommend you check EBay for a used set of SS shields, you can usually get them for about $80.00 for a set shipped.

If you run into any trouble or might have questions please feel free to PM me as I think I can now do this in my sleep! It was not only a super upgrade it was very rewarding to do the job myself.

Last edited by Deputy347k9; 02-03-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: clearer directions
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Couple pictures of my Brembo calipers with both 20" & 21" wheels installed. Doing the complete conversion I initially found the brake pedal to feel about the same, however, when I was braking in the new pads in and had to come to a complete stop quickly I DID notice a significant difference!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
bignaz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Yeah it don't look to hard. I gotta paint these black forest so I gotta order that. Ordered new Brembo stickers. I'll see if I can get the copper crush washers and caliper bolts from AutoZone alone with the torx bolt I don't think I can use the one off the stock on the same calipers.

Going to pickup a vacuum bleeder from harbor freight. And see if I can rent a torq wrench from AutoZone so I can get a proper one. I'll be starting it in about mid March should be a little warmer and I'll have the calipers repainted by then.

Just trying to decide if I want flat black or gloss for them. I'm going to redip my rims black after I get new tires.

But looks like all I need are copper crush washers and bolts. I seen AutoZone had duralast dust sheilds for cheap so I might pick up a set of those.

Doing these before I start putting on the twin turbos. Just to get me running. Payed $175 for it all so not bad. After I get the turbos on and set up I'll be going with 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears and all the supporting stuff for that.
bignaz is offline   Reply With Quote