Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrest View Post
i personally like the classic ball. I just bought this shifter and am excited to install it.
We are happy to hear it! Enjoy the improved shifts.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #16
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
I like the hurst ball but I also like the options that speed dawg has on their sight, maybe y’all could team up with them for different knob options.
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Any updates/teasers on this??

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Gotta agree with most everyone else in that the shifter options you currently have do not match the interior well. As much as I would love the reduction in throw, I can't give up the aesthetics this drastically. The OEM boot and knob are pretty damn good looking and if there were a way to do the shifter and keep those pieces, I would consider the upgrade over the 1LE shifter I currently have in the car.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #19
ChadFarr
Instagram: @SSAVAGEVERT

Drives: 2016 SS M6 Vert
Everyone pretty much hit It on the head. I love the factory shifter knob. It's ergonomics, flow with the modern interior. I'm more interested in a short shifts and precise throws. I almost bought a pistol grip or classic knob but I can't bare to do it. Please contact me if you need a test mule! I'm in the market for one as we speak!
2.9L Whipple | Compstar Rods, Diamond Pistons & GPI Cam | Mantic Triple Disc | Corsa Performance Exhaust | DSX Aux Pump | LT4 Fuel System | BMR Lowering Springs | ZL1 OEM Conversion | 360 Customs Built | And More!

Click & Follow My Build
ChadFarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurstPerformance View Post
Thank you for your input! We appreciate it greatly. Keep the feedback coming.
If it's not too late . . .

I think today's single-rail designs - as opposed to the three separate links used with the Muncies, Saginaws, Borg-Warners, and Top-Loaders of the past - work better with a better grip on the shift lever than you get with just a ball. Perhaps it's a consequence of having one or two more fore-aft gates than we used to have back in the day, or maybe it's because with those old 3 and 4 speed shifters the shift fork was chosen at the shifter itself rather than more distantly (linkage-wise, from your hand) inside the gearbox. That that makes it today's problem to solve because yesteryear's designs didn't see it coming.

When you come right down to it, today's OE MT shifters are closer to the pistol grip, but the OE's at least don't assume everybody's hand is the same size or force everybody to grab the shift lever the same way. The pistol grip may be better than OE for the 1-2 and 3-4 upshifts, but I suspect will give up something otherwise.

I'm sure you could come up with an OE-ish shape reminiscent enough of Hurst's past even if was just to make an insert for the very top of the knob that looked like the traditional cue-ball design.

FWIW, I'm an HPDE road course kind of driver, and I'll give up a shorter throw in exchange for smoother less notchy shift action every time. I've actually lengthened shift levers slightly on a couple of my own cars. Would have been nice if I didn't have to, and not everybody else is going to be able or willing to "roll their own" extension. Perhaps a couple different extension lengths - with some sort of cover for appearance and NVH suppression - could be designed and made available (it's not that hard).

Norm
Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #21
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I'd actually like it if you offered a package that includes more than just the classic white ball or the pistol grip. I'd personally prefer a black ball shifter with the shift pattern on top; as a singular package.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #22
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Product Development Update

We want to thank everyone for their participation and taking the time to share their thoughts! It seems that the majority of feedback has been a desire to retain use of the OEM shift knob when installing our shifter. As such, we have been working on an updated shifter that features a stick allowing re-use of the OEM knob. We currently have a prototype unit being sent out for anodizing that should be completed in the coming weeks. As we would like to get one in the hands of a fellow forum member, if anyone is interested in potentially testing and reviewing the new unit please shoot us a PM with your name, email address, and phone number.

We will continue to update this thread as updates become available.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #23
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
If we could switch between the ball and the stock knob that would be amazing
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #24
Doug kj6aco

Drives: 2017 1LT RS M6
Installed the new Hurst Billet/Plus Pistol Grip a week ago and I just love it. I had an other pistol that I made but I had to put a spacer under to hold the boot up, this shifter is machined just right and feels good in hands.
For me the way my arm rests on the console the pistol grip is the way to go, Plus being a gun nut with some strange pistol grips, what can I say,
I put over 20,000 miles on this car since May and a lot in stop and go traffic.
Attached Images

Doug kj6aco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #25
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
This!

Name:  hurst.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  19.9 KB

Just kidding... Brings back some great memories though.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #26
Doug kj6aco

Drives: 2017 1LT RS M6
I know the Hurst V-gate brings back memories, but brah if can can, it no can no can
Doug kj6aco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 PM   #27
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug kj6aco View Post
I know the Hurst V-gate brings back memories, but brah if can can, it no can no can
Shoots cuz!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #28
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
just finished my install this weekend. i had a hell of a time with the pin that goes into the tranny side. it was just too tight of a fit! now that its in, it is awesome! smoother, and more of a firm feel and a much shorter throw.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote