Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
M6 owners - Is using active rev match "cheating?"

I did do a search on this first (although I'll admit it was alot of title skimming) but it didn't appear it was directly addressed. For those of us with the M6 do you consider using active rev match as "cheating," at least to some extent?

I personally love it. My previous car was a 2006 GTO M6 so I do know how to rev match but I also think letting the car doing it on its own is way better from a peace of mind standpoint. Sometimes I could be too high on the rev since it wasn't a DD and I drive alot for work in automatics and I'm not sure how that translates to clutch wear.

I actually don't love the throttle blips as it draws unnecessary attention sometimes but otherwise it's a great feature for driving around town IMO. Yet at the same time I still find myself feeling almost guilty and thinking that if I'm just going to use rev match I might as well have just got the A8.

Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
i love it and hate it. lol

I rev match on my own but the car rev match is so smooth that i really enjoy using it as its much better than me.

with that said, i NEVER use it because of the revs that get obnoxious when down shifting around town.

I don't feel that its cheating by any means.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
I was always a die-hard manual trans/driver-involvement kind of guy and I said to myself I would hate it before I got the car. The first time I used the active rev match - couldn't contain my excitement lol. I think it's such a sweet feature; makes driving around town fantastic. The key winner is that the car lets you turn it on/off as you please (and so easily). I definitely don't think it's "cheating."
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrest View Post
i love it and hate it. lol

I rev match on my own but the car rev match is so smooth that i really enjoy using it as its much better than me.

with that said, i NEVER use it because of the revs that get obnoxious when down shifting around town.

I don't feel that its cheating by any means.
I love it and feel so spoiled that I may never buy another manual that doesn't have the rev-matching to be honest. I love how it smooths out the up shifts as well. One perk of NOT having the NPP is you don't really hear the downshifts of the rev-matching.

I don't feel it's cheating and could care less if it technically was.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
I love it and feel so spoiled that I may never buy another manual that doesn't have the rev-matching to be honest. I love how it smooths out the up shifts as well. One perk of NOT having the NPP is you don't really hear the downshifts of the rev-matching.

couldn't agree more with you for sure. its super smooth!
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
greg72982

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post

Yeah I never realized the upshift factor until I forgot to turn it on a few times. I though about maybe driving it for a little while without it on to get my skills back up but damn it works so nice.

To me the rev match is one of the tougher aspects of a manual, aside from starting on a hill especially when someone pulls right up to your back bumper, so I guess that's why using it makes me wonder...
Old 07-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Is using helpful technology cheating? Cheating on what, "purity"?

It's a modern car, so nobody can claim the car is "pure" in any way relative to previous generation vehicles. Otherwise, closed-loop EFI with knock-sensor-feedback ignition would be cheating, airbags, ABS, stability control, FEA'd crumple zones, safety glass, electronic accelerator pedals, non-cable speedometers, tilt/telescope steering column, Stereo, Bluetooth, USB, Immobilizer, power remote proximity locks, windows, seats, and mirrors would all be cheating.

So it's a big No, it's not cheating unless you're a Luddite that would refuse to buy a new car anyway. On top of that, nobody is making anyone use it, it's simply there if you want it.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
Zae757

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS
I love the rev matching feature on the car. My last car was a 370Z M6 and didn't have the feature and enjoyed doing it myself but when dropping it into 2nd or 3rd for highway racing it wasn't too smooth. With the Camaro, dropping the gears makes the car run so much more smoother for highway racing...actually since I've switched over to the SS I don't have as many people challenging me anymore...
Zae757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
I use it on the track for HPDE's, I'll leave it off for a lap or 2 on the track to test myself, but I do still heel/toe on the streets just to keep the skill up.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
I did do a search on this first (although I'll admit it was alot of title skimming) but it didn't appear it was directly addressed. For those of us with the M6 do you consider using active rev match as "cheating," at least to some extent?

I personally love it. My previous car was a 2006 GTO M6 so I do know how to rev match but I also think letting the car doing it on its own is way better from a peace of mind standpoint. Sometimes I could be too high on the rev since it wasn't a DD and I drive alot for work in automatics and I'm not sure how that translates to clutch wear.

I actually don't love the throttle blips as it draws unnecessary attention sometimes but otherwise it's a great feature for driving around town IMO. Yet at the same time I still find myself feeling almost guilty and thinking that if I'm just going to use rev match I might as well have just got the A8.

Thoughts?
I'm sure ABS was considered cheating years ago. Anything that makes me faster and under more control than the other guy is fair play in my mind. I use active rev match nearly 100% of the time and nothing is better than not having to worry about the perfect heel toe when burying the car deep into a braking zone. Just focus on the brakes and clutch and select your gear. Whatever flak you catch for using rev match should be offset by the credit you get for driving a stick over an auto anyways.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
greg72982

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
I use it on the track for HPDE's, I'll leave it off for a lap or 2 on the track to test myself, but I do still heel/toe on the streets just to keep the skill up.
Always wanted to try heel/toe but after watching some videos I pretty much see my foot slipping onto or off of one of the pedals when I don't want it to.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Nope it's not cheating! I love mine too.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #13
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Its frigging cool! And I loved doing it myself, wait until your on a road course track, amazing...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #14
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Of course not. If that's considered cheating then synchros are considered cheating.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote