Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #15
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I put a MGW on my 2010 SS because the stock shifter wasn't very good. The shifter on my 2016 is a different story. For me no need to spend the money on the MGW. I am quite happy with the stock shifter.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I put a MGW on my 2010 SS because the stock shifter wasn't very good. The shifter on my 2016 is a different story. For me no need to spend the money on the MGW. I am quite happy with the stock shifter.
Thanks - that's a fantastic data point (I've only sampled one half of the equation, the 2010 shifter horrors then the MGW).

Going further though, if you could snap your fingers and have a free MGW magically appear in your console, would it be a slight improvement? If you could snap your fingers again and make the 2016 stock go back, would you? I figure you got to drive an MGW and a 2016 back to back.

I'm fishing for superior, inferior, 'just different' (you've clarified the difference doesn't justify the swap work; but I'm still interested in any way you could describe the difference).

Thanks,
Matt
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I agree. On other cars they've made a big difference (my C6 Corvette for instance), but the new Camaro is excellent. I'm seeing no need to change. George at MGW is working on one though...He had to finish up the GT350 development first, and he like to spend a lot of time testing before he releases his products..
Old 04-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #18
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
I was one of the first guys to get the MGW on my 4th gen and I probably sold at least 15 of them by just letting people drive it. There is no comparison. MGW all the way. Don't even hesitate.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #19
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Look, I haven't (yet) driven a Gen6 but there's a common theme with stock shifters - they're long throw and made of 2 pieces with a noodly rubber insulator between them that kills all positive feel. You move the top of the stick, then the gearbox kind of plays catchup and you sort of wait for it.

And with the MGM heavy lateral springs it's inconceivable to drive without one. It's really the bulk of the joy of driving a Gen5 M6. Positive thunk-thunk on shifts, and 2-3 isn't up-left, it's straight up (the spring takes the lateral). Double-clutch/revmatch shifting from 5-3 (which with the MGW is down-up, not down-left-up, you'll understand when you get one) is high on my list of most pleasurable things in life, period.
After having my car for a few days, I have to say I am impressed with the shifter! I had a MGW on my 99 Vette (Cause the stock shifter sucked). I really see no reason to switch...Yes I think its that good. IMHO!

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #20
Modshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
I was one of the first guys to get the MGW on my 4th gen and I probably sold at least 15 of them by just letting people drive it. There is no comparison. MGW all the way. Don't even hesitate.
LOL at 4th Gen. That car needed all the help it could get. Don't assume the Gen6 needs one until you drive it..I see you have one in your avatar...Do you?

(nevermind..I see you have a V6...Different transmission. That one might need help)
Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #21
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Thanks - that's a fantastic data point (I've only sampled one half of the equation, the 2010 shifter horrors then the MGW).

Going further though, if you could snap your fingers and have a free MGW magically appear in your console, would it be a slight improvement? If you could snap your fingers again and make the 2016 stock go back, would you? I figure you got to drive an MGW and a 2016 back to back.

I'm fishing for superior, inferior, 'just different' (you've clarified the difference doesn't justify the swap work; but I'm still interested in any way you could describe the difference).

Thanks,
Matt
There is no doubt my old MGW was a great shifter. The centering springs through the center gate made missing a 2-3 shift almost impossible. The throws were nice and short and overall the positive feel and feedback that you had (especially if you were slamming the gears) made it worth the time and money on the 2010.

I have little doubt the 2016 version of the MGW will be an excellent product much like the last one I bought - just not for me. The 2016 stock shifter is about 90% as good (throws are just a little longer and its just a little more notchy through the center gate) but I don't lack confidence when I shift that I'm going to hang and miss a gear. Its a really good shifter. However, the feel and operation of a shifter has a fair amount of subjectivity to it. What one person likes is not what the next person will like - etc.

My best advice is to hold off until you have your car and drive it first with the stock shifter before you make a MGW purchase. After a few hundred miles you'll know which way to go.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #22
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
LOL at 4th Gen. That car needed all the help it could get. Don't assume the Gen6 needs one until you drive it..I see you have one in your avatar...Do you?

(nevermind..I see you have a V6...Different transmission. That one might need help)
It doesn't matter because the stock shifter HAS the rubber isolator in it no matter what transmission. As good as the stock is, it wont match the neutral return of the MGW.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #23
Modshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
It doesn't matter because the stock shifter HAS the rubber isolator in it no matter what transmission. .
So does the MGW...
Old 04-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
Standard

Quote:
So does the MGW...
Nope

https://www.mgwshifters.com/uploads/.../oem-10-11.jpg

(The rubber you see in that is the wrapper boot not an isolator)

I think what is being referred to is a stock stick that is 2 sticks with the joint between them being a rubber wrapper that prevents them touching - it adds a good bit of slack and mushiness.

(This doesn't mean that such a stick has to be bad, I'm just referring to a distinction between a stock stick and a non-stock)
Old 04-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #25
Modshack

Quote:
Nope
There is usually some damping to control NVH and it's inside that block. From their site on the Gen5:
"Patented sound dampening center shaft to prevent rattling that often plagues aftermarket shifters"

And my early ('08 LS3) C6: (Damping is inside the large metal Cylinder)

All I'm saying is that there is SOME damping, it's not metal to metal all the way. It would be a rattly nightmare if it was.

Admittedly stiffer than stock. In many cases the lower bushes/mounts can be improved with Poly to improve precision without affecting the actual shifting mechanism..

And a stock C6 shifter: (with squishier damping)

Last edited by Modshack; 04-04-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #26
Standard

Quote:
There is usually some damping to control NVH and it's inside that block.
Sorry yes you are right.

I was thinking of extreme examples where the rubber was something like a half an inch of separation (may be my old Gen4 stick, may be Gen5, don't recall). My beef isn't the rubber I guess; but enough of it where you can bend the stick several degrees.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
Modshack

Quote:
Sorry yes you are right.
No problem....In many cases stock) the movement can be the bushings the shifter base is mounted too...On the gen6 at least that is bolted directly to the trans (though I haven't had mine apart yet). On the C6 and other cars, where the trans is remote or the shifter is mounted on a subframe, there's often a lot of rubber in the system. Personally I don't find the Gen6 shifter (at least the V8 with the Tremec) much at fault here. Sure it can be tightened up some and I'm sure the MGW will do that. Some guys will go for it no matter how incremental the improvement.. Just like CAI's, Ported TB's and catch cans...:-)
Old 04-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #28
bballr4567

The issue is the stock isolator is about 2" in length. There might not be that much to improve on shift wise but the neutral return is a lot more solid on the MGW than the stocks. That alone is worth the price of admission. Standard had the best explanation for it.

The feel of the stock shifter on the SS is pretty good but there is solid room for improvement. The V6 is iffy at best.

Not sure why you need to even talk about CAI, TB or catch cans in a shifter thread but more power to ya!