Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #1849
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Angry

How do you guys feel about the grip, does it matter or is one better than the other, personal preference?

All this knowledge is useless right now, I haven't been in the gym in 4 months and it shows, muscle mass has been loss, I'm starting to look my age.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #1850
KINGRENZ

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Grip don't really matter honestly. you can try roman deadlifts or traditional. some go feet shoulder length apart and some who are taller like me have legs more closer together. however just advise and its hard to tell with your video. but

remember put your butt back more and you want to be as if your sitting in a chair when you start. bar touching up against your feet or front ankles.

keep back straight and arc a little ( shoulders back but a dip in your mid back- like your poking your chest out ) find a spot to look at -looking forward about 5 feet in front of you and 3 feet high off the ground. and focus on that- don't look down while dead-lifting.

-make sure bar is close to your shines
- just like your sitting on a chair or bench and knees over bar but almost lined up with your toes.
-now before you lift just lean back a lil -just a little -till your arms lock ( this is right before the bar leaves the ground) lean back using your butt your going to rip the bar driving with your heels

- when you pull up you want to act like your ripping or prying the bar from the ground. you don't want to pull the bar up like your using less back. your body should be planting more weight in your heal and not your front foot. and when you RIP up its like your gonna fall back in a way so its more in your hamstrings also but driving from your heels but your really now standing up moving your hips forward. (like your pushing your heels through the ground if it make sense but pulling or prying the bar off the ground staying close to your legs as possible.

now as your standing poke your chest out a lil as well as your pelvis.
bar should be against your thighs.

The key is the down movement focus on putting you butt back. as if your going to sit in a chair again but not hanging the weight with your back and slamming it to the ground with no control just to get it over with. or rushing.

butt back- bar close to your body. slow down and get the form right. and keep that back straight but shoulders back a little and a little arc or dip in your mid back and ride the bar down your shin back into your start position. if you get scrapes against your shines that is good cause again bar as close to you as possible. if you don't feel it after a set in your hamstrings then squat down more in a sitting position.

yes traditional deadlifts done right works more of your hams- butt vs lower back. roman deadlifts work more back, i think there is sumo deadlifts. very wide stance and wide grips . one hand over and one hand under grip. i don't do those

hope that make sense.
the look forward 5 feet then off the ground 3 feet spot helps with keeping you back and head aline in form. I had a hard time understanding that but it made sense once you try it. cause looking down will cause you to get out of form faster.( bod follow your eyes i guess how it was explain to me.

It's just advise. I don't know everything but i know what i been taught!
Harvey Dent- Dark Night Feeling

Last edited by KINGRENZ; 12-17-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
KINGRENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #1851
RGRCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Looks good and strong but I'd like to see next time you deadlift where the bar is when you start the lift in relationship to being either against or away from your shins.

I start by butting the bar against my shins when I place my feet down, but I feel like I rarely actually scrape my shins during the lift. I will shoot a better video tomorrow or firday when I deadlift again.

Thank you! I am not used to going very heavy, feels awesome.

RGRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #1852
RGRCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
and loose the wraps, and hold it at the top for another second.

If I lost the wraps I'd have to go over/under for sure. No way my grip right now could do that for 1 rep going both overhand. I usually build up to 365lbs without straps then just use them for my final heavy lift.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #1853
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRCamaro View Post
If I lost the wraps I'd have to go over/under for sure. No way my grip right now could do that for 1 rep going both overhand. I usually build up to 365lbs without straps then just use them for my final heavy lift.
If you plan to compete in powerlifting you will want to train your grip as well. Partial dead lifts in the power rack are a good way to strengthen your grip. Also look into Captains of Crush grippers! You can build a lot of grip strength this way.
Nothing worse than to have the strength in your deadlift but your hands can't stay closed.
Over under power grip will usually give you a better grip. But I would suggest using the grip that you plan to use so that it feels normal. If you train with an overhand grip in straps then switch it up in competition it can throw off your balance from lack of maximum effort reps.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #1854
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
How do you guys feel about the grip, does it matter or is one better than the other, personal preference?

All this knowledge is useless right now, I haven't been in the gym in 4 months and it shows, muscle mass has been loss, I'm starting to look my age.
my preference is over-under on deads. I feel like I can grip and control the bar better.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #1855
RGRCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
If you plan to compete in powerlifting you will want to train your grip as well. Partial dead lifts in the power rack are a good way to strengthen your grip. Also look into Captains of Crush grippers! You can build a lot of grip strength this way.
Nothing worse than to have the strength in your deadlift but your hands can't stay closed.
Over under power grip will usually give you a better grip. But I would suggest using the grip that you plan to use so that it feels normal. If you train with an overhand grip in straps then switch it up in competition it can throw off your balance from lack of maximum effort reps.

I actually don't plan on competing. I mainly just lift becuase I enjoy it, but looking to build more power because I will be playing rugby again this spring, and it's just been a goal of mine to deadlift 500lbs. I will do the partials as well though! More grip strength is always good. I do incorporate alot of grip exercises after I finish deadlifting.

Probably going to attempt 445lbs today, I will try to get another video.

Last edited by RGRCamaro; 12-18-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #1856
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
my preference is over-under on deads. I feel like I can grip and control the bar better.
I agree completely!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #1857
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
I agree completely!
When I first started lifting I used a conventional grip, as the weight increased I found over under much better, allows more control and I found it made it easier to keep the bar close to the shins but I see a lot of people using over/over so I was curious as to if it was just preference.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #1858
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
I start by butting the bar against my shins when I place my feet down, but I feel like I rarely actually scrape my shins during the lift. I will shoot a better video tomorrow or firday when I deadlift again.

Thank you! I am not used to going very heavy, feels awesome.
Watching the video again a few times the bar definitely drifted away from your shins at the start of the lift. A lot of times the correcting this is easy. You need to put tension on the bar with it against your shins before you actually pull. In other words, get into position, get the bar against your shins, pull up with say 100lbs of force to get everything tight, then lift....and remember to lift up and back at the same time.

Quote:
You need to train your grip and ditch the straps. I know you say you don't plan on competing and that's fine but RGR your grip is everything in life (that and a big back squat lol). You should be able to hold more than you can lift.

JT makes a good suggestion below. But if you don't want to buy anything, one of the best exercises you can do with gym equipment you already have access to is hexagon dumbbell holds with just your fingertips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #1859
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
When I first started lifting I used a conventional grip, as the weight increased I found over under much better, allows more control and I found it made it easier to keep the bar close to the shins but I see a lot of people using over/over so I was curious as to if it was just preference.
I think this is a product of the Crossfit craze. It's how they "teach" the deadlift because all of the other movements involved in picking weight up in CF (snatch, clean, etc) use the over/over grip. So it makes sense, especially for newbies, to teach them this way. But it's not the best way to pick up a maximal weight.

Although I did see Goggins pull 800 in the gym one day with an over/over grip.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #1860
CFD

On a side note, got back from the doc's a little while ago, stitches are out of my thumb and I'm ready to start again, hopefully I will make fast gains, if you could see me now you wouldn't believe how small I look. I've lost quite a bit of muscle mass in the last 4 months.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #1861
RGRCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Watching the video again a few times the bar definitely drifted away from your shins at the start of the lift. A lot of times the correcting this is easy. You need to put tension on the bar with it against your shins before you actually pull. In other words, get into position, get the bar against your shins, pull up with say 100lbs of force to get everything tight, then lift....and remember to lift up and back at the same time.

You need to train your grip and ditch the straps. I know you say you don't plan on competing and that's fine but RGR your grip is everything in life (that and a big back squat lol). You should be able to hold more than you can lift.

JT makes a good suggestion below. But if you don't want to buy anything, one of the best exercises you can do with gym equipment you already have access to is hexagon dumbbell holds with just your fingertips.

I will give it a shot today when I deadlift. Try harder to pull closer to my shins. My best back squat last year was 465lbs. This year I wanted to hit 500lbs on both deadlift and back squat, but straining my MCL and a few other accidents through a wrench in that. Building back up slowly. I will definitley concentrate harder on not just the pull but no straps.

I have seen guys do the the dummbbell holds before! I will try it out!

Thank you guys.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #1862
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Don't get focused on the weight when you are working without straps on the DL. Your grip strength with come, along with more weight. Let your grip strength catch up to your power and you will be much better off in the long run. Pulling 500 without straps is much more impressive!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote