Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-25-2020, 12:46 AM   #15
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Most $$$ vendors like Lingenfelter, Callaway don't even change the Camaro CAI (Callaway cuts a hole in the bottom).
like this? granted, i cleaned it up quite a bit before installing it. that’s the bottom of the air filter.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2020, 12:59 AM   #16
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyltx View Post
Has anyone here cammed there ss with no supporting mods? I’m kind of on a budget and really want to cam my car but don’t want to spend the extra money on headers and a intake at the moment. If so which cam should I get that will be working well with no supporting mods , thanks again
where in Texas?
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
that's what the article would seem to imply. It is an interesting though, since 99% of the people go CAI before internal engine mods. I don't own a Vette so I don't know how restrictive that intake is. Most $$$ vendors like Lingenfelter, Callaway don't even change the Camaro CAI (Callaway cuts a hole in the bottom). The would definitely do so for 21 WHP.
It would be interesting to see some higher modified cars dyno switching between the stock box and a RF dry.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
oldman

when I was breaking in my engine, it was sans supercharger. I tried both:
Stock box, slot cut like Parish's box and green filter, it does have a gasket that I made to seal the top against the front radiator support.
Mishimoto, I have both their standard 5" tube and their fixed 5" tube (slightly smaller by the MAF
I could not tell any difference, now somebody is going to say you need a dyno. I'm OK right CAI on a dyno.... I do have a GTech, I have gone thru 3 sets of tires on the rear, heck I may get a set of front rims just to wear out all the still new front tires on all four corners.

Full built engine, LT, ported intake manifold and TB, E85. I think I'd notice 21 HP NA which should be .1 to .2 seconds. I usually do a GTech run in 3rd from 2200 RPM to 7250 RPM.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyltx View Post
Has anyone here cammed there ss with no supporting mods? I’m kind of on a budget and really want to cam my car but don’t want to spend the extra money on headers and a intake at the moment. If so which cam should I get that will be working well with no supporting mods , thanks again
First off, welcome to the forums!

Secondly, if you cam with an otherwise bone stock car you're going to be leaving A LOT on the table. You don't have to blow a huge amount of money on other parts to get the benefit of a cam swap. There's headers like Speed Engineering that will get you long tube headers at a budget friendly price, and check out the classifieds here for a quality cold air intake that will get your ride breathing in better as well. There's ways to get what you want without having to break the bank.

On a side note, if you're worried about saving the money when you do your cam swap and leave everything stock, you're going to have to retune whenever you add headers and cold air intake later so you might as well do it once and do it right.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #20
oldman

If you can do the work yourself cam only would run as low as $600 (cam and head gaskets, head bolts AFM compatible. If you can tune yourself that would be $350 or more saved. That is CHEAP HP. Now if you can't do it yourself well then. This car was not hard (not easy either) to change cam. Maybe a little time consuming but I found it pleasurable.

Now if you can't DIY, it would be crazy to do cam only especially an AFM cam.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #21
Bomicino

Drives: 2020 LT1
I have the hot cam, yes, the phaser had to be locked. Paired with cheap speed engineering 2" longtubes and a flex fuel sensor it put down 499/434. Parts and the tune all in was under 3k, not including me doing the labor of course. The low lift allows the use of stock valvetrain. Stock air box and non npp mufflers. You can get down on a small budget if needed.
Bomicino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:41 AM   #22
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomicino View Post
I have the hot cam, yes, the phaser had to be locked. Paired with cheap speed engineering 2" longtubes and a flex fuel sensor it put down 499/434. Parts and the tune all in was under 3k, not including me doing the labor of course. The low lift allows the use of stock valvetrain. Stock air box and non npp mufflers. You can get down on a small budget if needed.
Nice, thanks man. I've debated about hot cam, and was wondering if needed phaser. Oh did you get 0 degree or 4 degree block? Also beside the phaser I assume you have to get DOD plugs?