Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
JKH18SS
Old Geiser's Camaros

Drives: 2 Dodge Rams, 2018 1SS Garnet Red
Swapping Recaros with 2ss seats?

Hi Al,
I drove 650 miles in early March to get my new Garnet red 2018 1ss 8spd Camaro. Great dealership and traded in my 18 1ss Red hot car. The new car has the Recaro seat option and I'm a bit larger than average. The seat back bolsters hit me right in the kidneys. I bought a set of leather 2ss seats from a wrecking yard last weekend. Had to replace 1 blown airbag and drivers upper seat cover. My car does not have the seat memory function onboard with these seats. When I installed them they don't work? Can I take the harness out of the Recaros and install them in the 2ss seats to correct? Oddly the Recaros have heating and cooling blowers just like the 2ss. I've got a ton of time and money tied up in these seats and I'm hoping I can salvage the effort.

Love the car, just gets painful after a couple hours of driving. My nephew is in prison and its a 6 hour round trip to go see him. BTW - I'm keeping the Recaro seats and putting them away in case I ever trade the car in. Great seat if I was 5'7 and weighed 140 pounds. They were already on the car along with Mag ride and a sunroof.

Thank you for your help,
JKH18SS
JKH18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
JKH18SS
Old Geiser's Camaros

Drives: 2 Dodge Rams, 2018 1SS Garnet Red
Update: I had to disassemble the Recaro seats to get the wiring harness. I installed the harness in the 2ss leather seats (both had seat heaters and cooling blowers). disassembled the 2ss seats to install the Recaro harness and now I have done away with the seat memory (not on my 1SS w Recaros) and seats are working properly. For any of you that want to install Recaros in your cars, you will need all (6) of the harnesses, memory CPU as well as Door switch and factory body connections. If I ever sell or trade the car in I'll reinstall the harnesses in the Recaros and have brand new F&R seats in the car. Thanks Al, I'll save my ask for next time.
JKH18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
booo i was gonna say ill buy em how much!!
Old 03-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKH18SS View Post
Update: I had to disassemble the Recaro seats to get the wiring harness. I installed the harness in the 2ss leather seats (both had seat heaters and cooling blowers). disassembled the 2ss seats to install the Recaro harness and now I have done away with the seat memory (not on my 1SS w Recaros) and seats are working properly. For any of you that want to install Recaros in your cars, you will need all (6) of the harnesses, memory CPU as well as Door switch and factory body connections. If I ever sell or trade the car in I'll reinstall the harnesses in the Recaros and have brand new F&R seats in the car. Thanks Al, I'll save my ask for next time.
You do realize Al got moved out of the Camaro team like several months ago? It's possible he's not even available to respond to these now.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
Richkidd87

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
How do u remove the harness?
Richkidd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKH18SS View Post
Did you take any pics or videos of the disassembly? I have some Recaros that I would love to install on my 1SS that are sitting in my basement. I tried to remove the harness but chickened out when it got difficult. I was afraid that I would mess up one or both seats and possibly not have a driver seat at all.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboynamedsue View Post
Did you take any pics or videos of the disassembly? I have some Recaros that I would love to install on my 1SS that are sitting in my basement. I tried to remove the harness but chickened out when it got difficult. I was afraid that I would mess up one or both seats and possibly not have a driver seat at all.
What do you need help with? I have my drivers seat down to the frame.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
What do you need help with? I have my drivers seat down to the frame.
I actually finished the install (with a lot of help) a couple days ago. Thanks for checking in, though!

Tags
1ss, 2ss seats